Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Help with my release.  (Read 897 times)

Offline bttsj1

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with my release.
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
I need some advice on my release.  When I shoot split finger my arrow kicks up upon release.  If I shoot 3 under I have good arrow flight.  How do I improve my split finger release.  Thanks
Border Black Douglas 54@28
Centaur 51@29

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with my release.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Is the bow tillered for split or 3-under?  Your nock point height will not be the same for both styles.  Sounds like your nock height is correct for 3-under.  If the arrow appears to violently kick up as soon as you release with split, then I'd say your nock is too low for split finger.  If it appears to just take off high and stay high, then your nock is too high.  Why would you want to switch back and forth between the two release methods?  You will do better if you pick the one that works best for you and stay with it.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline bttsj1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Well I've only been shooting a recurve about a year or so and I'm still not sure which way I want to concentrate on.  I guess there are pros and cons to both styles from what I've read.  I started out split finger but was always frustrated with my arrow kicking up and I have tried to move my knock around to fix the problem.  Then I read about 3 under and found it to be easier for me.  I shot better and had better arrow flight.
Centaur 51@29

Offline bttsj1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Hey, I'm from Shreveport too.  Lived in Bossier for a long time.
Centaur 51@29

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
Your bow may be tillered for three under.  If you feel better shooting that way, I'd just stick with it.  However, your arrow kicking with split is easily corrected by moving the nock.  I shoot split, and my nock is always 1/2 inch nock high.  Get a bow square and check your nock height.  You might find split finger to your liking with the right nock point.  By the way, I was raised in Texas, so sounds like we are moving along the same path, just opposite directions!  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
Deep hook, still pulling through the release.

That is, you should be pulling and pushing in tension at the release, rather than locked or "set". When you stop pulling at "anchor" you give up on a clean release. The whole arrow line should feel like an unfinished draw, a suspended tension line. If you push as far as you can, you are not still pushing. If you pull to the "anchor" and "hold" you are not still pulling.

A deep hook hold on the string gives a crisp release without hand tension that comes from trying to hold the string with partially uncurled fingers. That makes a pluck. And, your fingers get tired. The deep hook lets you relax the hand as you pull, so it is like a stretched rope from wrist to bowstring. Keeps you from torqueing the string. The fingers will get out of the way when you stop holding.

And, the arrows go straight where you point 'em if your form is lined up.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
I found this out the last couple of days, no matter what I did with nock height, I still had a wiggle in my arrows flying down range.  I moved my nock down slightly and started nocking my arrow on top.  If it wiggles or porpoises (sp?) now, it's because of sloppy form.  I can get a clean release like you with 3 under, just can't find a comfortable anchor.  

Give nocking on top a try for a few shots and see, it might help, might not, but it did for me.  Keeps me from pushing up on the arrow with my middle finger and pushing down as much with my index.  For whatever reason, I don't pinch as much with the arrow nocked on top.  Keeps me shooting split, instead of fighting to find a anchor 3 under for now.

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
your alignment may not be just right.  with the split finger release there may be some downward pressure on the nock of the arrow causing flight probs or kicking of the arrow.  might have nothing to do with the nock point.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©