Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting good/ shooting bad when to stop?  (Read 916 times)

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting good/ shooting bad when to stop?
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
Assuming in both cases you don't shoot until being tired causes issues.

When you come out and are shooting REAL good, do you have a tendency to keep going longer than if you came out and were shooting off?

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting good/ shooting bad when to stop?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
I stop pretty much at the same point of fatigue regardless of my shooting.  I don't shoot a lot of competition anymore, so there is little need to shoot more than thirty or forty arrows in one session.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline Todd Hathaway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
An Olympic Gold-Medalist rifle shooter advised to shoot more when you are doing well, and stop when you are doing poorly. You want to ingrain the good stuff, not the bad.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
I also stop once I start to feel fatigued. If I have a really good practice I may even stop sooner! The point is exactly what Todd and everyone else pointed out. I want to be sure to leave the practice field with the last arrow in the bullseye, cause that is what the brain is going to remember.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
If I'm shooting good I'll stay at it until I start to tire.  If I'm shooting badly I'll quit before I get aggravated and go make arrows or something.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
The first 5 arrows I shoot will determine if I continue to practice or mow the lawn....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
always end on a good arrow , regardless...that what I do!!    :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Todd Hathaway:
An Olympic Gold-Medalist rifle shooter advised to shoot more when you are doing well, and stop when you are doing poorly. You want to ingrain the good stuff, not the bad.
That's interesting.

Usually, if I'm shooting bad, I take a few minutes and try to settle down, and try to figure out what is going wrong. I try not to leave the session until I start shooting decent. Which I can usually do to some extent at least.

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
I follow the advice of the rifle shooter.  I also end on a good shot no matter what.  If I cannot execute a good shot I will shorten the distance, focus solely on basics, and that will produce a good shot.  Think about the release.  :thumbsup:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Back when I played baseball, I always tried to end batting practice with a line drive so that would be what was in my mind's eye during the game. I use the same idea when I am shooting. I try to end with a great shot or a great group, even if I have to get up close to the target to do that. On a day I am shooting bad, I will stop after a good shot just to end on a good one. It seems to help.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Luckyned

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
S!  I'm with the majority on this one. I shoot as well as I can until I begin to fatique and then I shoot alittle longer while concentrating on the down-grading ability..somedays to maintain focus..somedays to maintain physical ability.

When..not if..I'm having a really suck-*** day..I refuse to walk away..without ending on a 3 cycle hit zone. I may kill every arrow in the quiver but I want my brain to out-smart my muscles or vice-versa. Leave on a bullseye-forget what it cost me!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©