Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: quick back tension question  (Read 840 times)

Offline bttsj1

• Trad Bowhunter
quick back tension question
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
When using BT should my bow arm shoulder blade be pulled in towards my spine?  Not sure how to ask this question properly.  Do I try to contract my rhomboids to where my bow arm shoulder blade is locked down and in towards my spine.  How about this, what should I be feeling in my bow arm?
Border Black Douglas 54@28
Centaur 51@29

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quick back tension question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
you mean squeeze your shoulder blades together? your bow arm should be firm yet relaxed and you should never stop pulling.  that the best way i know to describe it.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
The best way to describe it is pushing the bow into the target-not super hard, just with enough effort to keep it locked in place.  You will need to push as hard as you pull.  If you consciously try to squeeze the shoulder blades together, you will probably not be "in-line" when you shoot.  My experience shows that if you use the back to pull the string, you will be using the back to push the bow in correct proportion.  Overexaggerating the shoulder blade squeeze will probably result in the string hand elbow rotating too far in towards the back, and your elbow will no longer be in line with your forearm, and the arrow.  That was pretty wordy, I hope you can get some meaning from it, sorry.  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
One easy way that helps me is to square the shoulders and push the chest out before you draw. The back tension is in there when you start. Take a deep breath as you draw. This lines everything up, and pull from your back and shoulder, not with the biceps. You should feel the pull from your shoulder and back, and the arm comes along. You are streatching that bow by opening up the shoulders with your back.

Like Diamond Paul says, you have to get where you are not having to think about it to do it. And, it's a push-pull - always pushing, always pulling. As Terry Green says, keep the shoulders lined up with the shot and the arrow. Back tension - squaring the shoulders helps do this.

This back-tension, push-pull form allows a release on line with no side cast or string pluck, and the arrows seem to magicly go straight where you point 'em.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
To quote an individual whom I respect for his shooting advice:  
If you start worrying about which muscle does what, you're IMHO, missing the boat. Most people don't think/work that way. If your string hand comes back cleanly and your bowarm remains still (ie folow-through is correct), you've already got the bt working.
Focus on your string hand coming straight back and you're bow arm remaining still upon release.  When those two things happen together, you've got back tension working.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Aaron Proffitt 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Wilson:
To quote an individual whom I respect for his shooting advice:  
If you start worrying about which muscle does what, you're IMHO, missing the boat. Most people don't think/work that way. If your string hand comes back cleanly and your bowarm remains still (ie folow-through is correct), you've already got the bt working.
Focus on your string hand coming straight back and you're bow arm remaining still upon release.  When those two things happen together, you've got back tension working. [/b]
Well said....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©