Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting better but?  (Read 643 times)

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting better but?
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Well I am pleased to say that after a year of trial and error I am shooting much better.  I am consistently hitting the target but I am noticing a pattern of how I shoot.

I alway shoot around where I am aiming.  I never seem to hit dead center if you know what I mean.

To try to make a mental image imagine a clock face and I am aiming at the center but my arrows will hit all around the clock face out at the numbers.  I never seem to hit in the middle?

Why is this?  Help please.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting better but?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Simple to answer this: you are not focusing on a small enough spot (assuming you shoot instinctively).  If you are shooting a bullseye type target face, you see the whole circle in your vision, and typically you will hit around the edges of the whole thing (however big the whole thing is); therefore, you put your arrows all around the clock face.  Try sticking or painting a very small dot (50cent piece size or smaller) dead center of the bull (make it a color that stands out against the color of the bull).  I promise you your groups will shrink if you focus on the dot instead of the whole circle.  The finer spot you can focus on, the better you will shoot.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
P.S.:  Bill Tell?  William Tell?  That's your user name, right?  Do you realize how ironic it is if your real name is Bill Tell and you shoot bows?  LOL!
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
P.S.:  Bill Tell?  William Tell?  That's your user name, right?  Do you realize how ironic it is if your real name is Bill Tell and you shoot bows?  LOL!
Ha that would be a kick.  Although William is my first name Tell is not my real last name it's Hayes and I am not Swiss I am Irish.  Other then that I am just like him.   :bigsmyl:  

It was one of my favorite stories growing up.  That and Robyn Hood.  Most people don't know that as the legend goes if he missed the apple on his sons head the King was going to execute him and his son.  Talk about not wanting to miss!

When I was a little kid I had a fiberglass bow that pulled about 20 pounds.  The property next to ours had apple trees and I would run over there and try to hit the apples on the ground.

I will try to do what you say and focus on a smaller spot.  Thank you for the help.  I will look for a worm hole on the apple.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©