Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What spine cedars for 56#@27 fox longbow?  (Read 750 times)

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
What spine cedars for 56#@27 fox longbow?
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
I just picked up a lovely Fox longbow (arctic fox)that pulls 56# at my drawlength (measured with hand held bow scale). I have tried 65-70# spine cedars w/160g up front and they shot OK. Arrows spined at 72# w/160g up front flew like darts. Shouldn't a longbow shoot cedars spined really close to the draw weight the best?

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What spine cedars for 56#@27 fox longbow?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Depends on how the shelf is cut and type of string.  
160 grain heads usually require an additional 5# spine, as does fast flight string and if shelf is cut to center or past.  To add to the confusion, you are supposed to subtract 5# for every inch below 28".  Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in soon.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Aaron Proffitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by suburbanirma:
I just picked up a lovely Fox longbow (arctic fox)that pulls 56# at my drawlength (measured with hand held bow scale). I have tried 65-70# spine cedars w/160g up front and they shot OK. Arrows spined at 72# w/160g up front flew like darts. Shouldn't a longbow shoot cedars spined really close to the draw weight the best?
Well,since your getting darts with your #72 w/ 160,I'd stay with that.Spine is weird,pretty subjective.If it's working for ya...stick with it.
"First thing we do,let's kill all the lawyers".
Shakespeare Henry VI, Part 2

Does an agnostic,dyslexic,insomniac lie awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog ?

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Not really..it depends on the bow.  If your shooting a bow with a fast flight string that add 10 pounds to the spine of your arrows right there.  Then for every inch your arrows are longer than 26 you add 3 pounds.  So say your bow is shooting fast flight and if you are shooting a 29" arrow that would put your spine at around 75 pounds.  Then from there it depends on if your bow is center cut and what weight head you are shooting.  All this plays a factor in getting wood arrows or any arrows for that matter fine tuned.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©