Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Why is facewalking frowned upon?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why is facewalking frowned upon?
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Personally. In close range 3D I could really care less what style one uses. Ever since IBO allowed string walking back its been shown by the scores that no certain shooting style seems to be supreme over another. String walkers have regulary been getting beat at IBO competitions by gap/stinctive stype shooters. In longer range shoots I can see where face walking and string walking might give a larger advantage. But for 30-35 yard 3D its not as big of a deal. Possibly the anti stringwalking rules you see at 3D shoots are old throwbacks from the days of Field archery.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
Totally agree with you Chris.

Ray  ;)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
Yep, you guys hit it exactly, and George was around to know from experience.  I was there for the end of the field archery era so I got to see some of this too.

There is nothing wrong with face walking or string walking.  Nothing.  Except it is against the rules in that game.  

It is not the same as instinctive.  There is no reason to "walk" if you are shooting instinctive.  It is a method that is used with point on (sorry, not gap.. edited) shooting, using the arrow point as the front sight.  period  

The problem with the game, as many see it.. me too, is that every time you add a sight, or gizmo, you can... can... improve accuracy.  Is it fair for me to compete against someone who is obviously shooting using a sighting method ?  I think not.

That's why the rules (for some games) say no.  Course, you always have those guys that need to win so badly that they have to cheat and not follow rules.

Again... it isn't bad or wrong.  But it is different and should be compared against like styles.    

Chris.. George is right on... it is two different games.  not two scoped rifles.  one scoped and one with iron sights is more analogous.  In fact, using instinctive shooting, you don't even use sights.

ChuckC

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
Chris.. George is right on... it is two different games. not two scoped rifles. one scoped and one with iron sights is more analogous. In fact, using instinctive shooting, you don't even use sights.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. The instinctive shooter chooses to ignore the arrow point that is in front of their face.  The string walker, face walker and gap shooter chooses to conciously include it in the sight picture.  The difference between an individual who shoots a concious aiming method and someone who shoots "instinctive" isn't the equipment, it's how they use that equipment.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
Hello to all; I am new to the forum and traditional archery as well; I can see that this site is a gold mine of good info and advise. I have been a bow hunter for 6 years but only just recently (1 month) started using a long bow; and I love it! My goal is to be an instinctive shooter, when I raise my bow arm and draw I try to focus on my "spot" but I am aware of the arrow and my bow arm in my field of vision, infact I conciously point my arm at the spot. Is what I am doing more of a modified aiming method? Having used compound with sights for so long I am finding it very difficult, to shoot instinctive.
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
George, well spoken once again sir.

I don't have a problem with string walking etc. if the rules allow it. If they don't, well guess you are just shooting for fun. As George and others have said, that's why there are different classes, to level the playing field as much as possible. Face walking etc. has proven that it needs a seperate class...not necessarily "bad", just needing speration from other aiming methods. Most of the shoots I attend have simply decided to draw the line below face walking. The reason, to me, is irrelevant. Want to face walk for score? Simply shoot in competitions that allow it.

On the other side of the coin, I went through much of the head scratching the face walking proponents here have done when I competed in shoots that at one time did not allow carbon arrows. I either shot aluminum for score or shot my carbons for my own private score. I also petitioned the tournament directors to change the rules, every chance I got. Enough folks must have done the same thing because that is a rule I rarely encounter anymore. I didn't argue the reasons, which I thought silly, I simply worked to change them.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Mushroom

Originally posted by Mushroom:
A friend of mine went to 3D Worlds last year and he said that string walking was used by pretty much everyone in Europe.  I wonder how we in North America decided that this is bad and should not be allowed in Competitive Shooting?
Two reasons as I see it.
1- As American we don't have archery heroes from Europe. We are sort of isolated from the rest of the world and many aspects. We frown upon most anything because we as proud Americans feel we are the best.

2- Mostly tho to me it is the whole "Ishi" syndrome.
Without the likes of Hill and Pope and Young who put Ishi on a pedestal to name a few, traditional archery would not be as popular as it is today in it's present form.   The Indian way of shooting so we've been told thru them is the way to shoot. Sort of a guilt trip as I see it from taking the land from the Indians.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Simplicity in archery is a beautiful thing.  Trying to justify why the simplicity of the gear or the methods used, or lack thereof, has little to no bearing on the outcome of attempted accuracy is, well, not so beautiful.    "[dntthnk]"

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
I think Chris os exactly right. If two guys have the same bow, arrow, everything, but one guy is shooting instinctive and the other face or string walking, then how would that be like one guy with a scope and the other with iron sights? I think as long as the equipment is legal then how you aim is your own option.  

Zane

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »
With all DUE respect....

Originally posted by Kingstaken:
Two reasons as I see it.
1- As American we don't have archery heroes from Europe. We are sort of isolated from the rest of the world and many aspects. We frown upon most anything because we as proud Americans feel we are the best.
Since you went from "as I see it" to "we", I'll comment.

*I* have archery heroes from all over the world. Men who have taken a stick and string afield, lived off the land, and protected their families and communities. *I* dont "frown upon most anything" because *I* choose to look at and for all the good and beautiful things this country and planet have to offer as I can. Traditional archery is one of those things. Yes I am a proud American(end of sentence!). I am what I am and this country is what it is!

2- Mostly tho to me it is the whole "Ishi" syndrome.
Without the likes of Hill and Pope and Young who put Ishi on a pedestal to name a few, traditional archery would not be as popular as it is today in it's present form.   The Indian way of shooting so we've been told thru them is the way to shoot. Sort of a guilt trip as I see it from taking the land from the Indians.
The pioneers of American archery you speak of would blunt you in the butt if they read what you just wrote. I happen to share their appreciation for what they learned from Ishi, and the historical use of the bow and arrow by the American Indians. I didnt take their land and neither did my people. But I tell you what, I do enjoy a great many freedoms in this country and if I would ever feel any real guilt, it would be upon looking into the eyes of Ishi.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©