Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How many "swing draw" vs straight arm??  (Read 2472 times)

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
How many "swing draw" vs straight arm??
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Been reading back issues of TBM and found an article by Asbell regarding the swing draw vs straight arm style.  Many years ago I recall being a swing draw shooter- this was while shooting at work in a sporting goods store.  Since switching to the recurve full time, about 8 years ago, I am now a straight arm shooter.  Fred talks about not being an instinctive shooter  while shooting with the sraight arm.  Got me thinking- and I tried to see if I was aiming more than just concentrating on my spot.... well- when I try to use the arrow as a sight alingment- I was missing everything- including my target at 10 yards...... then I tried to swing draw, and found myself slowing down the swing when I was at 3/4 draw- and then finshing the draw.  After messing with that and not shooting worth a hoot- I went back to my straight arm and was shooting good again.  I need to get a video posted and let you guys look at it.  So- anyway, how many swing vs straight arm???
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many "swing draw" vs straight arm??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
I never could use the "swing-arm" draw as Asbell describes it.  I found it very hard to draw even light weight bows that way for some reason.  I bring my arm straight up while focusing on my spot, and when the sight picture looks right, I start drawing and complete the shot.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I shoot both ways.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
I guess I use a combination of both... I swing draw, when the bow comes up on target I stop the swing and hold the draw about 4" from anchor. I then lock the bow arm and shoulder in place and continue the draw until I reach anchor. Maybe one second at anchor and if my "instincts" approve, I relax my hand to allow the string to slip away from my fingertips. To get a positive release, my back muscles continue to pull my fingetips back past my ear and usually stop when I touch my shouder.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
If the swing draw is done properly one can pull a much heavier bow, not that one should.  The swing draw allows a draw that does not require rotation of the torso to begin and then complete the draw, with the straight draw one needs to rotate to  reach the string once the bow hand is extended.  Also, swing draws reduce the length of rotation of the shoulder joint under the strain of the bow's draw weight.  Where I see folks getting messed up on the swing draw is where they begin to pick up draw length.  That is they look like they are going to shoot at the ground and then raise the whole works up at three-quarter draw. This tends to get the draw arm elbow high, then to make it harder still they have the tendency to release while the bow is rising with no straight back in the draw.  
   For some, once they do it right, use it most of the time, others find rotating the torso and shoulders to be easier.  For me, with bows that have a higher brace, it is not so important, that inch or two makes a big difference for me, with low wrist longbows I either spread draw or swing draw, making sure the last 6 inches is straight back and the bow is on target and not continuously rising.

"Sheep are a peculiar crowd." -Big Bad Wolf

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
Huh?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
I am not sure how I would classify my shooting style.  I start with the bow down at my side.  I pick my spot and concentrate.  When I am ready to shoot I start to draw as I raise my bow and when my bow hand gets into position I finish drawing to anchor and release.  It is one motion but I only get to about half draw before my bow hand is in position.

I have tried shooting staight arm style and I just cant seem to pick a spot with the bow in my view as well.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Straight arm for me. I start focus on the spot I want to hit, bring the bow up to where it feels good, and then begin to draw.

Works good for spooky whitetails. I like to think I`m hiding behind the bow and they can`t see me. My story.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »
I use both

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
I was shooting again last night and just thought it was odd that I used to swing draw- at a time when I hunted with wheels, and once I switched to the curve- I began shooting with straight draw style.  I tried to swing draw again last night- and it was just plain difficult not to resort to holding the arm up too long to find my site picture like I am used to.  I don't have little league practice tonight, so after I clean up the mess I made trimming my autumn olive bushes Sunday night, I'll break out the video cam and try to post a few clips tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to Terry, Guru, and others giving me some advice.  I feel I shoot relatively well, but certainly am not opposed to shooting better!!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
I bring the bow up to the target and then start my draw.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
I also use both methods.  More straight arm draw when the position requires it, such as sitting or kneelin on the ground when I can't get a full swing.  If you learn to do both you won't be limited by an unexpected shot oportunity.

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
Hey all,

I hate to come into a thread like this...But, What is swing drawing?  Could someone discribe it?

Thanks,

Brian
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Both.

Brian,

Swing Draw is the term used to describe the techinique of drawing the bow at the same time as you raise it from your side.

Ray  ;)

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
I shoot both ways, depending on the hunting situation. I like a swing draw best. But, sometimes you have stuff in the way, so you have to practice both.

If I can't swing up, I find I get about the same rythm effect by a pronounced push-pull to extend the shooting arm in the draw. For me, this maintains the "line", keeps me pulling through the shot, and helps avoid side-cast from a locked straight bowarm.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »
i use both.
in most hunting situations i naturally revert to a swing draw, . at longer ranges ,my draw tends to take longer , sort of gapping i suppose.
that's mainly with my longbows.
when shooting a heavy handled recurve i tend to shoot more straight armed, locking my elbow more and having my bows traight out in front for the majority of the draw.
ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Straight arm, focusing on my spot. I don't feel comfortable swinging my bow arm.
The work praises the man.

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
More on what it is:
It is the method promoted by the great Howard Hill, for hunting and general sport archery. With it he took more than 3000 game animals, won 196 straight field archery events and was the greatest trick shot. We owe much of our sport to his work.

He held the bow alongside his thigh with the bow arm extended but with the elbow flexed. He began his draw as he swung the bow up into the line of sight to the target. He reached the line of sight with about 8 inches of draw remaining and aimed while completing the draw. He usually released promptly upon reaching his anchor, near the corner of the mouth. He sometimes held at anchor a bit, and sometimes in the heat of action released before reaching anchor, usually with good results.

This was contrary to the target style of his day. And it surely provides more economy of effort. It enables the use of heavier bows and gives less fatigue in a long day of shooting.

Interestingly, for the latter reason it is being adopted even by some Olympic style target shooters.

It can promote excessive snap shooting if you are not careful, partly because it is possible to snap shoot pretty well this way. The remedy is be sure to reach anchor when you have time, and whether you do have time or not to make a good long follow-through, straight back. He had a wonderful, relaxed follow-through.

It is a good way to shoot a bow. - lbg

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
straight arm works for me. Focus, draw, hold at anchor and smooth release then follow through. Vermontser 13 has helped me alot. I never thought I would be where I am after only 4 months. I am ready to tackle turkeys in a week and a half.

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
I have tryed both. straight arm works best for me. I put the bow up to where it fills right. then try to picture the path the arrow will take to where I wont to hit draw touch anchor let her rip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©