Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Accuracy with Bow quiver?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
Accuracy with Bow quiver?
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
I have been working everyday for the last three months to master my fun but sensitive Super Mag 48.  I am finally shooting good groups up to 15-20yds.  I want to put a bow quiver on; I know this will effect the wt of the bow could this have an effect accuracy?

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Accuracy with Bow quiver?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
To me it depends on how much weight we're talking. I have found shooting a "shorter" bow (a 55 incher) I will feel the extra weight more. I also think that ANYTHING can be practiced out of you. I shoot quivers on both of my bows after swearing them off for years. It took time for me to adjust to the extra weight, but now I feel naked without them. One thought. Keep your quiver loaded minus one arrow and shoot that way. Shooting an empty quiver in practice then showing up in the field with a quiver full of arrows will throw off your left,right accuracy. GOOD LUCK with that 48. They are cool bows!
Mike Davenport

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I shoot a 58" recurve and the quiver improves accuracy. I noticed that the quiver attatched make my bow naturally cant better and the added weight, not much, helps me hold the bow steady until the arrow hits. I use a Great Northern strap on and never take it off. I shoot a few arrows most every day and can instantly notice the groups getting larger without the quiver. Hey, if it is different for you, take it off. You might find it improves accuracy like I did.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
If you choose a strap on quiver, you may also find that it affects the arrow spine your bow likes best.  Generally, a lower spine with quiver on.  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Aaron Proffitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
If you choose a strap on quiver, you may also find that it affects the arrow spine your bow likes best.  Generally, a lower spine with quiver on.  Paul.
Interesting...why do you suppose  that is ?
"First thing we do,let's kill all the lawyers".
Shakespeare Henry VI, Part 2

Does an agnostic,dyslexic,insomniac lie awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog ?

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
I don't like the extra weight or torque that comes with a bow quiver. For sure it changes the "feel" of the bow every time you take out or add an arrow.

That being said, I do have a 3R Mini Boa that I'll use in certain situations. I much prefer my GFA Quiver, though...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
Yeah...can you explain why?

If the quiver straps are on the fade outs like they should be, then they will not effect the limbs, and if the limbs don't know the quiver is there, then they shouldn't be effected.....so how does weight added to the riser change the spine???

BTW....I've never had any issues with bow quivers and accuracy....cept the one time a certain quiver's strap 'walked' out on the top limb.

If your bow arm it solid, and you've got proper back tension, the number of arrows in the quiver shouldn't make a difference.....least it don't for me.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Thank you for all the answers. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I needed to be aware of due to the shortness of the bow.  The spine issue is somewhat intresting as well.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
Always has been the case for me when I used strap on or slide on quivers, like the Selway.  I certainly can't give you the physics behind it, but I will generally need to go up on point weight or down on arrow spine to achieve the same tune quality.  Many, many people I shoot with have experienced the same thing.  As soon as I take the quiver off, I need more spine to tune. Just a possibilty to be aware of, nothing more, as your milage may vary.  Paul.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Well, Diamond Paul, that just solved a puzzling question for me. I just noticed a few weeks ago that my arrows , which were fine ,a few months ago , seemed to be underspined. The only difference was I had been playing with shooting w/o the quiver. Put the quiver on and the arrows fly true. NOW someone explain why a limb bolt Selway seems to have that effect. I'm not smart enough.
DonD

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
Ask Terry, he knows everything.

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
I'm not trying to get ahead of Terry, but Bow quivers change the bow's reponse, more or less, and it seems it must change some with how many arrows and what type are on it. How much difference it makes, I can't say, as I decided to do without bow quivers pretty early on.

That said, until you develop good form and consistent fairly tight groups, its hard to tell what differnces tuning items make - bow, arrows or quiver.

One of my biggest barriers to getting to good consistent form was blaming, or looking into, and changing up fine tuning of the bow and arrows. Much of the effects of these things, unless pretty far off, make a lot less difference in point of impact than form glitches like 1/4 inch vs 6 inches.

I had a bunch of arrows that weren't spined right 'til I got my form working, then they all grouped together.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
Don, did not mean to be an a**, I just can't answer for sure.  Paul.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
I have noticed the lower spine thing on longbows, too.  Here's my theory:  At the shot, the arrow pushes against the bow as it starts paradox and will move the bow to the side just a bit.  With the weight of a quiver full of arrows the bow is more resistant to being moved and moves less, requiring a softer arrow paradox around the bow properly.  Clear as Mud?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
Several different issues come into play. First as mentioned, the additional weight of a bow mounted quiver slows the bows reaction and can often require a change of spine to still "shoot where you look" Another problem with some bows is the limbs flex well into the limb fade outs and these are the bows that actually lose a bit of performace due the the increased weight of a quiver, which is much like the effect string sliencers have. Lastly, the effect of bow torque induced by the additional weight of a quiver.....think about it like this.....your bow is already heavier on the right side(righthanded shooter) due to the sight window cutouts being on left side of the centerline of the bow...then if a guys shooting style( or bow design) allows the bow to react very quickly, often the sight window exerts pressure on the front to mid secton of the arrow, which in effect points the arrow to the right.....if the torque comes later in the shot cycle, the rear of the arrow get the pressure and points the arrow to the left. Of course most times heavier mass weight bows react a less and bow design, especially grip design can negate the effects of bow torque...as well as a rock solid bow arm and excellant form.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Blue Moose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
It always seems that the bows that need a quiver the most are the ones that have the most negative reactions to being "quivered."

I remember trying to tame a Hill-style by adding a quiver to add weight and absorb some handshock. Performance suffered noticeably...I also recall a severe case of "leftitis" with the quiver on.

On the other hand, I can put one on my 21st Edge and tell no difference whatsoever. Except for certain guys ribbing me about my "strap-on stabilizer."   ;)  

TM

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
Ask Terry, he knows everything.
Paul...I asked a dang question because I DIDN'T KNOW...what the heck is your problem???????

Being an 'A$$' around here wont last long.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the answer Rod.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
"Yeah...can you explain why?

If the quiver straps are on the fade outs like they should be, then they will not effect the limbs, and if the limbs don't know the quiver is there, then they shouldn't be effected.....so how does weight added to the riser change the spine???"

Sure didn't read that way, but sorry if I misinterpreted it.  I was just offering an observation based on experience; wasn't stating it as an absolute fact or anything, just something I had always noticed and something many others I talk to have noticed. Paul.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
I have this love-hate relationship with my bow quiver, and Rod your explanation helped a lot. When I switch to quiver on, for some up coming hunting, it may take a bit of fiddling with the brace, or a string swap, arrow swap or heavier BH; but it always takes something, and that's with the straps on the riser.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©