Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: More weight = better form?  (Read 757 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
More weight = better form?
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
I dont know if it is possible or not, but I switched out my 45# limbs for my new 56#'s. My form tightened right up, my release was cleaner and the bow was SMOKING arrows. I ended up about four inches high on everything. Anyone else have similar results?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: More weight = better form?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Heavier weight will actually cover form errors for you. The release usually gets cleaner and the arrow is on the string for a shorter time, so mistakes have  less time to happen. Thats why real light bows are recommended for form work. Any issue you have will show.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
So your saying I should shoot lighter until I get it to where I want it?  :rolleyes:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Whump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:32:00 AM »
Whump Sez: I keep hearing people say that---you know heavy poundage made me shoot better.If you are shooting 4" high That could cause real big problems hunting and you will have to correct that.But! The only way to learn to shoot heavy is to shoot it and build to it. I shoot 60lbs but I have no doubt if I went to 70 I would be shaking like a dog passing a large seed and could not hit squat.That is the best way I know to start bad habits like arm dropping and short drawing. If it is working for ya  and you don't feel over bowed---  Aim Lower& run with it, just don't start a bunch of bad habits.   Hunt safe.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Ishi, Dave and I agree on something.   :eek:  Overbowing causes form problems. Underbowing helps you to correct them. Muscles can be built up by reps, not just by increasing weight. This means that you can use light limbs and help yourself "outgrow" that pain in the neck. It will improve your form and get you tuned for hunting.

Then, when you are ready to switch to heavier limbs, you will be flat-out GOOD. It will take only a little time to regroove your elevation factors.

Killdeer~been playing with my Lady Kodiak, just for that reason.  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Dave pretty much summed it up.

One way to bring them arrows down is to go up in arrow weight...get the gpp. similiar to your lighter setup. Your arrow speed will be closer to what you're used to.

For me, I have a certain "speed" programmed in my head, so I strive for all my bows shooting the same speed.

Mike   :campfire:

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
That makes sense RAW HIDE. I like your town by the way...I was there years ago.
I decided to go back to 45. No sense in re-injuring myself and not being able to shoot at all.  Both sets of limbs shoot great, but for now and until the muzzy(and Im feeling 100%) I will stick with the lighter limbs.
Thanks for all the input everyone.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©