Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: martin savannah set-up help  (Read 908 times)

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
martin savannah set-up help
« on: May 10, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
i just picked up my dad a martin savannah, 55@28.  he draws about 26-27".  he is currently shooting a tred barta bow that is 45@28 with 35/55 gt's, full length with 100gr. brass inserts and 175gr points.  where should we begin setting him up for the savannah.  should we just take his arrows and go for it or is there more i should do?  i am guessing i should set the nock point about 1/2" above center and the brace height areound 7"???  we are both just really getting into traditional seriously, coming from compounds.  any help in where to start with the new bow is greatly appreciated.

i also just got 6-2020's.  how are they going to compare in weight and spline compared to the 35/55 or the 55/75 gt's?  i am guessing that there is only one style insert?  i am just trying to gauge the difference in the aluminum and the carbon for our longbows.  what kind of weight is everyone getting out of them with a 175gr point?

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: martin savannah set-up help
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
I shoot a savannah pretty good.  52# at my draw.  I shoot 2018's with 125 tips real well.  For your 55# start with the 2020's and see how they do.  They should work with 145gr tips.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
thanks--being that we have plenty of the 35/55 gt's i hope they will shoot well out of it.  i am only getting 6 2020's to try at first.  i guess the best thing to do i bare shaft both of them and go from there.  what brace height seems to be working the best for most?

Offline swampjoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Fountain I set my brace at around 6.5 inches - try that as a starting point and then you can zone in on the perfect spot for you.

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Why don't you try bare shafting the 33/55's with the current setup that's working for the Barta bow.--I would think they'd begin to perform about right anywhere from an inch to an inch & a half shorter than what is working on the Barta bow.
I'd shave the fletching off one and shorten it from the nock end just to keep it simple.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
i will try my exact set-up.  we will bare shaft one and see.  i also have 18 2020 aluminums coming to try as well.  
what would the benefits of putting a 3-river's tomahawk string on the bow benefit?

Offline Hardhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
I've experimented with brace height from 6" to 7 3/4" on my savannah, but had the best shooting and sound at 6 1/4"  Don't be afraid to try a lower brace-

As far as arrows, this is an excellent bare shaft tuning site, if you're new to it-   http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
does the savannah's have a twang when you pop the string?  this one does.  it quietens down when you shoot it, it just twangs like a compound when you pop the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©