Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Switching to Three Under?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching to Three Under?
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
I’m contemplating switching from shooting split finger to three under. I know this has been discussed before but I thought I would throw it out again to see what people who have made the switch have to say.

I have found I get a much cleaner release and for some reason struggle less with my alignment when shooting three under. Despite these benefits I still have reservations about making the switch to three under. For anyone who has attempted to switch from shooting split finger to three under what problems did you encounter and how did you overcome those problems?

When shooting split finger I can nock an arrow and come to full draw without looking at the string or even thinking about what I’m doing. Shooting three under requires a lot more conscious effort in this process, probably because I’m just not used to three under. For those who have made the switch did you find eventually you were able to knock an arrow and shoot just as quickly when shooting three under? Maybe this isn’t something to worry about since I don’t hunt a lot of small game and basically do no wing shooting.

The arrow provides an excellent reference point for consistent finger placement on the string when shooting split finger. I’m a bit worried that I may place my fingers too far underneath the nocking point when shooting three under at times, especially under pressure. Has anyone had that problem? I’m considering putting a tie on nocking point where the bottom finger should be so there is a reference point on the string both above and below my fingers.

Anyway, any comments, thoughts or experiences anyone has to share are much appreciated.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching to Three Under?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
I've gone back and forth. I shot three under the last couple of years and switched to split a month ago. Split is less noisy and it doesn't seem to put as much pressure on the heel of my bow hand. With three under I had to put a nock point under the arrow to maintain consistency and avoid nock pinch. If I were a gap shooter I'd probably stay with three under.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
I shot three under years ago when I shot a Cobra.  It does allow for a tighter gap to aim with, but it also is much clumsier to use when one needs to take a fast shot or out of position shot.  I think it makes some bows nosier than with standard finger positions.  I had a longbow that was made for three under, not what I ordered, tried it three under.  It was just awful.

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm a gap shooter so I think I'll give three under a fair chance and see how things go. My release has always been a big problem and shooting three under seems to help that quite a bit.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
If u shoot well dont make the mistake of confusing ur self like i have.I switched from split to 3under, it seems u loose a bit of control of the arrow when drawing, an u have to shoot slower witch i hate. Now i would like to switch back but i`m tired of second guessing everything, it took me 1yr an half 2 become comfortable with the 1st switch an don't want to deal with that again. I have to many hunts in the near future that i need my confidence for
Bull

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
Well I'm a pretty mediocre shot, I do ok on short and medium distance shots but I’m not nearly as consistent as I would like to be. I’ve always struggled with my release and I noticed last year during deer season I was pinching the nock so badly that there was a very audible squeaking sound from my tab rubbing against the nock when settling in at full draw. That’s why I started to look at shooting three under, mostly because I was worried about the squeak sound spooking a deer, that’s probably just being paranoid though lol.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
Chris,
Good luck with what ever u choose. I would not recommend doing it before a up coming hunt, i no from experience it can mess with ur head an then nothing seems comfortable an only time an a lot of shots can fix it. Its a lot of guys that did the switch an never looked back. Might want to try a different glove fur the squeak. One thing for sure 3under is louder.   :smileystooges:
Bull

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
For what its worth here goes. I was a good shot with split. I changed over about 1 1/2 years to 2 years ago. Now I am a much better shot with three under. I am now a more deliberate shooter, meaning I take my time with my shot. Don't get me wrong, I can still shoot as fast as I want, but I enjoy shooting slower. I use a double anchor...thumb at the jaw line/ear lobe and nose touching the cock feather fletching.I use three 3 inch feathers. I am a much more consistant shooter now. Heck, give it a try, you might like it  :thumbsup:
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
when I converted to trad gear, I got way too much finger pinch with split (I could never get a smooth release, and struggeled w/ out a point of reference while shooting.

String walking was next, and I dialed in quickly. People were amazed with my accuracy. Most thought the concept foreign, both in & out of the trad ranks.

I then moved away from string walking to more of a ga shooting. I digresed some with my accuracy for a while.

Now I still guess that I still gap shoot (three under) but don't think anything about the gap just pull up and release when the sight picture looks right.

I love three under and feel good about the way I shoot. I can't see changing in the future to split fingers.

No one has said anything about my release being noisy.

Best of luck in your transition!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Well I spent a lot of time trying to shoot three under last week and this past Saturday. Couldn't hit anything shooting three under so I thought I would try a few shots split finger and put the first shot in the center of target. I'm not sure I can make the switch to three under after so many years of shooting split finger.

The tab I'm using right now doesn't have a finger spacer so I think I'll try something that has a spacer and see if it helps. Any suggestions? I've tried the Cordovan tab that 3 rivers sells and didn't really like it, I might try a Cavalier tab.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Chris...are you thinking you need a finger spacer for 3under ?

Suggestions? Set your bow up for 3under(often a higher nock) and forget your shooting 3under...use the same anchor your have been...draw the bow and forget where your fingers are on the string and make the needed sighting corrections!the difference in accuracy is in your head, not how your fingers are placed on the string.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Lantz:
Well I'm a pretty mediocre shot, I do ok on short and medium distance shots but I’m not nearly as consistent as I would like to be. I’ve always struggled with my release and I noticed last year during deer season I was pinching the nock so badly that there was a very audible squeaking sound from my tab rubbing against the nock when settling in at full draw. That’s why I started to look at shooting three under, mostly because I was worried about the squeak sound spooking a deer, that’s probably just being paranoid though lol.
Have you ever tried a reinforced leather or deerhide shooting glove? has always worked great for me. Feel neked without it!!

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
I have shot finger tabs for years an  i cut them out of deer leather i always liked um thin. U  can cut the split were ever u need it, an trim as it stretches , the more u shoot it the slicker it gets. I switch to a thin glove a year ago an it seems to work good.

Chris don`t let the switch turn in to a big head game. BECAUSE THAT SUCKS   :knothead:   thats what happen to me
Bull

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by SHOOTO8S:
Chris...are you thinking you need a finger spacer for 3under ?

Suggestions? Set your bow up for 3under(often a higher nock) and forget your shooting 3under...use the same anchor your have been...draw the bow and forget where your fingers are on the string and make the needed sighting corrections!the difference in accuracy is in your head, not how your fingers are placed on the string.
No I was thinking of sticking with split finger and using a tab with a spacer, thinking the spacer should help my finger pinch problem. I just can't seem to the the hang of shooting 3 under, but I guess I haven't really spent enough time shooting that way and I'm not adjusting for the smaller gaps. Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Chris...I know some great split finger shooters as well as a few equally great 3 under shooters...so picking a style that your comforatble with is certainly not a stumblingblock to good acuracy.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Martin Farrent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Chris Lantz:
Couldn't hit anything shooting three under so I thought I would try a few shots split finger and put the first shot in the center of target. I'm not sure I can make the switch to three under after so many years of shooting split finger.
I don't think you can expect accustomed accuracy on Day One, Chris. But the question is: Do you have a really important reason for wanting to switch? (An example would be wanting to shorten your point-on range.)

Best,

Martin

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
Shortening my point on range, a cleaner release and solving my nock pinching problem are the reasons I wanted to try three under. Three under also feels more comfortable to me when holding at full draw for some reason. I think it may be because I'm anchoring with my index finger when shooting three under rather then the middle finger when shooting split finger.

I know I need more practice time so I'll probably keep trying three under for awhile. It's difficult in my current situation to get enough practice time in, there is no place to shoot at home and I can only get to the range once or twice during the week. I need to get rid of some clutter in the garage so I can start working on form every day again. Right now there's no room to move in there lol.

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
Chris, in your first post you mentioned about putting on a second nocking point. I would recommend that with either way of shooting. It may cure your arrow pinch because you will feel the two and it may give you some tactile reference as to how far away from the arrow your tab or finger is. Plus it is more efficient as it stops your arrow trying to find the center of the string when you loose.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
If this doesn't apply to you for  give me in advance.  When I shot heavy longbows, 79 to 96 pounders, i didn't have a finger pinch problem, but when I shoot recurves and lighter longbows I did.  I preferred gloves, but used the Can't Pinch tab to reduce it.  My son pointed out that it looked like I was trying to twist the bow string when I reached full draw, at that time 27''.  It still lit up the side of my index finger. You know the inflammation that happens along the fingernail.  I went back to my Hill glove, shortened my draw one inch and made sure that my fingers started out square with the string and kept them more square by going to a stronger ring finger.  What I was doing wrong was I let my ring finger stretch out while I drew, and by the time I released, the string would be dangling from my slanted index finger and over powered middle finger.  I have not had a finger pinch problem since, and that was when my son 6 years old, he is now twentyseven.  Never discount the observations of a kid that knows what he is talking about.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Chris, in my 1st reply`s i was a bit negative toward 3un,or more so on the frustration that go with switching, even now that it is the way i shoot. A lot of the advantages an disadvantages mention are true for both. When i switched 1an half yrs ago, i am just now becoming comfortable with the hole style not saying i did not shoot well in the begining of the switch but a fluid thoughtless shot is different than just good shooting. An thats what it was for me a complete different style, so what i`m saying is if do want to switch an be successfully at it u have to dedicate completely an it will take time to become comfortable if ur lucky not as long as it was for me. GOOD LUCK  :eek:
Bull

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©