Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Can't seem to figure out what the problem is...  (Read 788 times)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Can't seem to figure out what the problem is...
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
I have been shooting some of my other bows the last several months, but recently got my "go to bow" out to start practicing for the fall.

I am not a great shot, but am certianly consistant enough at hunting distances to have no worries. I say this so I can tell you with some confidence that I don't think the problem lies with me (any more than it does with my other bows).

The bow, a Damon Howatt Hunter, seems to be much noiseier than it normally is. I went through the tuning process again, and the brace height (7 & 1/2 inches) came out the same. It has the same string with the same silencers as before. I am shooting the same arrows with the same points as before. Shot placement is unpredictable and as I said, the bow is now very loud.

I thought at first it was just me, but had all my regular shooting buddies shoot with me and all agree something is wrong!

Is the bow starting to come apart (I can't see any problems on the surface), or is there some imperceptable problem with my form or release that only shows up with this bow?

It's really bothering me, anyone know what might be going on?

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can't seem to figure out what the problem is...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Keith, how old is the string on the Howatt?

I had an "old reliable" the started "acting up" last fall...once the new string settled in, she was back to her old self...
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Papa Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Same bow, same arrows, same string, same brace height and suddenly it's noisy and shot placement is unpredictable.

That's a tough one to try to figure out from the information given.  It's possible that there is delamination occurring but I don't think worrying about that will do you much good.  Either it will delaminate or it won't and I don't know of any preventive maintenance that would stop it from happening if it's ready to go.  

I think it might be a good idea to give it some time to readjust to the bow before getting too worried about it.  As far as your information provided can tell us, the only thing that's really likely to have changed is you.  Your draw length, form or release could have changed since the last time you shot that bow and if you're hearing a clacking sound, it could be that your spine isn't right for the way you're shooting now.  And that's just a guess.  It could be something else or maybe even nothing else but perception.

Offline Martin Farrent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Here's an idea: Perhaps you are using a string picture as part of your sighting information. Many people do so consciously, but one can also be somewhat unaware of it.

If your string pictures with the bows you have been using recently are different to the one you were previously employing on your go-to bow, it might lead to confusion. You may be aligning wrongly (for that bow), which could easily explain both the noise and the inaccuracy.

Best,

Martin

P.S. I say all that because it used to be my standard problem when switching between bows - and back again, after a period of time.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Kevin, The string is a little old. It is a sorta ratty fastflight (not unsafe, just well shot-in). A new string may be in order. Thanks for the advice.

Robert, You could be right. I have been shooting my longbows and my lighter weight recurves lately. This is the bow I deer hunt with. After season is over, I will switch to my other bows to shoot for fun, but from June to Jan. this is the only bow I shoot. It seems like there is a new vibration I can't seem to explain. Even when I do the close up, no dot on the target, form concentration thing it BOINGS pretty bad. I'll keep after it though as you suggest. Thanks for the help.

Martin, Help me understand what your saying. It could be the case. The other bows were either longbows or small riser, lighter weight recurves. This Howatt is a longer recurve with a more classic long riser. If I understand what your saying, then it could actually be a form problem (that is easier to fix than a busted bow would be). Thank-you for the advice.

Thanks again to you guys,
OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Martin Farrent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Keith,

I'll start by explaining how string pictures are used consciously.

The string picture is the blurry vision of the string at full draw. It can be anywhere in relation to the riser and arrow (there is no generally correct place for it to be). However, if you are shooting consistently, it will always be in the same place. This indicates uniform positioning of the arrow in relation to the head and eyes from shot to shot.

If you are using the (whole) arrow alone for horizontal alignment, you can ignore the string picture. It will still be in a consistent place, but you don't need to register it.

However, some archers prefer to ignore the shaft, rather than the string. Instead of aiming with the full shaft and tip, they take care to align the string properly (actually using that consistent string picture as a tool) and only aim with the tip of the arrow. Both methods can be consistent: aligning with the shaft, or with the string picture and tip. Obviously, sight archers almost always use the string picture, because they can't easily use the shaft. But barebow archers have a choice - if they know of both methods. In reality, many don't even know that the string picture can be utilised.

People who use the string picture on purpose usually tune their bows to have it in the same place on every bow. For example, they will tune each bow for the string to be flush with the inside of the riser in their full-draw vision of things. But once again: there is no 'correct' string picture. It's personal - and can just as easily be right next to the arrow, for example. You choose a place you like and tune the bow that way.

However, some people don't fully realise that the string picture is part of their overall sight picture. They actually use it as a reference, but are cognitively unaware of it, or rather: They only register it as part of 'the big' picture of the bow, arrow and target... as part of 'everything looking okay', as it were. This being the case, it doesn't always feature systematically in their tuning efforts. And therefore, they may employ a different string picture on each bow. For some reason, the shape and look of a given riser moves them to tune it in a certain way - but they'll tune the next bow differently. Or two the same, but one differently... and so on.

You can easily see what might happen. You can have a bow you shoot very well, then tune two or three other bows to a different string picture for some reason or other... shoot them for a while, then move back to the original bow. And all of a sudden, the confounded thing does nothing but confuse you. You force alignment into a string picture that is wrong - for that particular bow - because you've got used to that picture with your other bows. Suddenly, your favourite bow no longer makes sense to you.

All this is speculation in your case, because many archers don't use the string picture at all. But if you are one of those who uses it, but doesn't fully realise the fact, it's an avenue worth exploring.

Best,

Martin

Edit: Next time you shoot, simply take a good look at the string picture and try to ascertain whether it means anything to you. If it feels important, you're very probably using it.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Martin, Wow...

Let me reread your post a couple of times, then shoot the bow a few times with your information in mind. I understand, now, what you're saying. If this is my problem, it is not on purpose.

I have always shot "instictive". No aiming point or focal point other than where I wanted the arrow to go. No, "picture yourself as the target, and shoot your eye out" zen thing. Just look where ya want the arrow to go and it flies there for me. I will shoot the other bows paying attention to where the string lies, then shoot the bow I am having trouble with and see how things go.

Thanks for the explaination,
OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
This might be a stupid question but, have you checked the limbs to see if one of them might  be twisted or checked to see that the string is laying in the string grooves. I am only asking this because I know someone who called me worried about there bow suddenly becoming loud and I had them look at their limbs and one of them was twisted.
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline Martin Farrent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »
Chris,

I personally believe that aspects like the string picture explain many puzzles experienced by people who prefer the 'fuzzy' aiming techniques - i.e. methods that strongly rely on gut feeling (instinctive and some flavours of gapping, for example). The gut feeling involves evaluation of an overall sight picture that is not fully defined by the cognitive mind.

I think it's great that you're prepared to pay attention to the string in an inquisitive way. A lot of instinctive shooters are a little afraid to take their sight picture apart by noticing any individual detail too much. But in my book, you can't break a thing by dismantling it with appropriate care - you just put it together again.

Best,

Martin

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Did a little work on the noisey bow yesterday. I moved the brace height up to about 7&3/4 and that helped. I changed out the old beaver silencers and that cured most of the problem. I waxed the string as well.

I think most of the problem came from the silencers, believe it or not! They had gotten wet and dried several times over the last few years and were hard and brittle. They had worked loose some and when I shot the bow they would buzz on the string.

I shot for a couple of hours yesterday and the more I shot the quieter the bow got. I think perhaps Martin may have been onto something in my form as well. The more I shot the bow the better it shot as my form settled in.

Thanks for all the help folks!
OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©