Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Trying a tab----what Am I doing?  (Read 772 times)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Trying a tab----what Am I doing?
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
I've always used a glove to shoot split-finger and wanted to try a tab. I tried a calf-hair tab the other day and ALL my shots went to the right by about 6-8" @ 15 yds. I am left-handed and I anchor with my middle finger against my eye-tooth.
I switched back to my glove and my shots were back on target.  i tried the tab again----same result as before.
What am i doing wrong???
Ben
P.S. I like the way the tab feels as far as string on my fingers,but not the shots i was getting.  :help:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying a tab----what Am I doing?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
i know for me i get a good deep hook when shoot with a glove and with a tab i dont get a good deep hook and it affects my release. i shoot right handed andi anchor middle finger rite in the corner of my mouth and tab throws my shots off like crazy also try to tthink about your hook with your fingers wwhen you shoot with the tab. i couldnt ever get it to work for me
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline Papa Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
In my opinion, it's very hard to get a good deep hook with a glove.  This is where tabs really shine.  The flexibility of a tab allows you to easily hook very deeply, which results in less hand tension and a cleaner release.  So, I would consider two possiblities, Ben.

If you were shooting fingertips, try a deep hook with the tab.  If you were using a deep hook with a glove, then the clean reless you're experiencing with the tab could be causing the difference.  Have you re-tuned your bow since switching to a tab?  I think that's a necessity; at least to check the tune if not completely re-tune.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
The tab is thinner than your glove, so your fingers are closer to your face than the glove was....
    Give it time, you will adapt....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Tabs always take a little working in. When I was target shooting and I replaced my tab, I would sit watching TV, flexing the tab and pulling on a loop of bowstring. Give it time.

Offline Hank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Different materials and thickness in tabs and gloves are going to change how the string rolls off the fingers upon release. This will change how the arrows is pushed into the bow and thus will change how the arrow comes away from the bow, changing your impact point on the target.
Remember, if you walk a mile in someone's shoes, you will be a mile away and have their shoes.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
O.K...................I'm still trying it off and on. i think for some reason, I'm holding my hand away from my face instead of having it close alongside. Maybe, I just need to work on it to break it in some more.

Thanks for the help guys.....

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
yep, fingers are farther away if shooting to the right as a lefty. Give it some time... I used to switch back and forth between the two when I went to the tab, but I can't even use a glove anymore as I like feeling the anchor with the finger tips.

Cary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©