Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Instinctive, or aiming for hunting  (Read 5401 times)

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
Instinctive, or aiming for hunting
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
I am trying to learn to shoot instinctive, but my ultimate goal it hunting. I am curious as to whether the dominate opinion for hunters is shooting instinctive, or using an aiming method?
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Instinctive, or aiming for hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
It depends more on your make up really, one aiming method is not best for everyone.  You gotta find the one that's best for you, and the 'dominant opinion' shouldn't sway your choice.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
It depends more on your make up really, one aiming method is not best for everyone. You gotta find the one that's best for you, and the 'dominant opinion' shouldn't sway your choice.
Terry's reply sums it up nicely.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Thanks Terry, I want to shoot instinctivly & I am still as green as they come. I know that there are basic fundamentals / form which I badly need to work on. It is frustrating because I cannot seem to develope a consistant shot, from what I have read on here maybe I am over practicing? The other day I put on a judo point and went to the woods for some stump shooting; I was amazed at how much better I shot in that environment, and it was 100% more enjoyable than shooting a bag target in the yard.

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Wilson:

It depends more on your make up really, one aiming method is not best for everyone. You gotta find the one that's best for you, and the 'dominant opinion' shouldn't sway your choice.
Terry's reply sums it up nicely. [/b]
I know for sure that I am not string walking or shooting the gap, but I do look down my bow arm to the spot, would that be a form of aiming? Hopefully soon I'll post a video for form critque.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
Terry, I'd be interested in hearing how you shoot. I've watched some of your vids but are you strictly on the spot or do you see your arrow, split vision ?? I know you don't hold at anchor so I'm guessing you see "the spot" only?

Thanks for any insight!
                        PB

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
I agree with Terry. It really depends on your goals, personality and capability.

All the aiming techiniques can be very effective...but each one has Pros and Cons under certain circumstances that may influence your decision.

When an archer is shooting instinctively...they are in fact aiming. Any archer, who is pointing their bow and arrow at a target with the intent of shooting it...is aiming. It doesn't matter what techinique they are using. It's just that some archers aim consciously while others aim primarily with the subconscious.

Ray   ;)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
There really isn't any such thing as instinctive shooting.  You may look only at the spot, never see the arrow, etc., but you learn by trial and error what a good sight picture looks like at a given yardage.  Some aiming systems are fairly hard to learn and perfect; some aren't so bad, but you will probably become proficient at hunting yardages much faster by incorporating some form of aiming, whether it be gap, split-vision, or multiple anchor points.  Hey, nothing wrong with sights, either, as long as it makes you happy.  Don't worry about what others are doing, do what works for you.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
"There really isn't any such thing as instinctive shooting"

Here we go again     :rolleyes:          :rolleyes:          :rolleyes:    

Yes there is such a thing as instinctive...its a term used to describe a form of aiming that relies on hand and eye cordination with no conscious sighting reference point to where it seems 'instinctive like'.  That's how it was described back in the day. It was never meant to mean the literal term of the word.

Although there are many now a day that claim the literal meaning to diss the aiming system that it doesn't exist....mostly those folks that don't shoot instinctive, or can't shoot instinctive.  Once again, miss using a term to mean something other that what was intended by our fore fathers.

I couldn't gap shoot my way out of a barn from the inside, but I sure aint gonna claim it don't exist just becasue I can't shoot that way.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Terry, I shoot that way, but it's a learned ability; I didn't spring from the womb with a bow in my hand.  Everyone aims, somehow, someway.  You can give it any name you want, it's ok with me.  I refer to myself as an instinctive shooter, because I don't use a regimented aiming system, but no one pokes and hopes their way into the spot or the kill zone.  JMHO, Paul.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Paul...I didn't say it wasn't a learned ability...it is, using hand and eye cordination.  Again, you are using the literal meaning of the word 'born from the womb' and that was not the intended use of the term instinctive shooting.....again, it 'seems' instinctive because you are using the ability you were born with via hand/eye cordination, that was the intent.

Nor have I ever said folks should poke and hope their way to the target....that would be a ridiculous statement.

Being that this is a Trad Bowhunting forum, I'm going to use the terms as they were intended by our fore fathers.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I like the term, myself.  I just wanted to clarify things; I don't want someone thinking that it's some mystical ability that just happens one day if you go out and shoot enough.  But I agree, the term implies the use of your natural ability, hence "instinct."  Paul.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
I do think it pretty mystical really.....its quiet amazing what the body and mind can do, and hard to explain at times.  I think its mystical when you are so into a hunt, and so focused on the animal and  the next thing you know your fletching disappears in the exact spot you are aiming at....and you never even remember drawing the bow.

Have you seen 'The Age Old Miracle' on the PowWow?

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
I've got a tape measure if anyone needs one..  :goldtooth:   I can't seem to make up my mind between the two shooting styles so I shoot split vision.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
This ole boy definitely does not want to get into a tape measure contest. . .if you get my meaning.

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
Instinctive is real. Of course we instinctive shooters use a sight picture and a reference system. But it is incorporated into the unconscious, or barely conscious act of shooting as we apply all attention on the spot. So it becomes an element of form and concentration, not an attention to the process of aiming, or calculating, or holding to get the aiming part right. When you get there, it certainly seems mystical. "Dang! that works!"

I basicly draw a line with my arrow, so the arrow is lined up under the spot in my peripheral vision. So it's a part of drawing the line. I'm looking along the arrow as I put my whole concentration on the spot, usually the center of the kill zone. When I shoot my best - (a mystical experience) everything but the spot seems to disapper, and all I see is the arrow going right to the spot, often a group of them in a snuggle-puppy group, all touching. Not because I'm particularly good at it. I'm convinced anybody can do it. I'm a clutz!

But, you have to give up on the idea and process of aiming, and lose all concentration on reference points. Even for different distances.
Like throwing from 3rd base to 2nd, or first, or home - you just do it.

Aiming is for target shooting. Instinct shooting is for hunting. But you can hit a bottlecap at 20 yard on purpose, instinctively.

Like John Shultz says, it doesn't matter if you use gap, split vision or instintive, if your form is right you won't be far off at 50 yards.

Here's an instinctive group at 18 yards what I call instinctive swing draw snap shooting.

Cost me a nock!

If the video works, here's the form and shooting rythm.

Pick a spot, swing up and shoot it.

After the myst clears, I often recall an imgage of my hand floating in front of me with an arrow arching slightly above it to the spot. Perhaps my mind is using the hand and arrow as a reference. But, I'm not thinking about the gaps or refernce points. Just pulling a line, and boring my attention on the spot from before I start the swing.

Try it for hunting, as the game may not give you more than 2 seconds.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by GroundHunter:

I basicly draw a line with my arrow, so the arrow is lined up under the spot in my peripheral vision. So it's a part of drawing the line. I'm looking along the arrow as I put my whole concentration on the spot, usually the center of the kill zone. When I shoot my best - (a mystical experience) everything but the spot seems to disapper, and all I see is the arrow going right to the spot, .
I normally run from these type threads  :D  

Groundhunter just described my aiming method...which I always called gap shooting!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by GroundHunter:

I basicly draw a line with my arrow, so the arrow is lined up under the spot in my peripheral vision. So it's a part of drawing the line. I'm looking along the arrow as I put my whole concentration on the spot, usually the center of the kill zone. When I shoot my best - (a mystical experience) everything but the spot seems to disapper, and all I see is the arrow going right to the spot, .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I normally run from these type threads  

Groundhunter just described my aiming method...which I always called gap shooting!
The same thought went through my mind except I thought split vision.    :biglaugh:
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
'zackly! A rose by any name is a rose.

We have got to the essence of the thing, whether we call it instinctive, gap or split vision.

It's good to see that we are all describing the same thing as the semantics have, for me, lead to many side trails in my quest for the essence, the grove, that becomes consistent reliable shot placement in hunting situations.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline Blue Moose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
"Groundhunter just described my aiming method...which I always called gap shooting!"

And a fairly apt description of my aiming method...which I always called split vision.

We can all run now;).

TM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©