Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Who has beaten Target panic?  (Read 2796 times)

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
Who has beaten Target panic?
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
I'm wondering how many guys have completely gotten over TP without changing hands, or adding a clicker or making any major changes in technique. Just completely regaining control of the shot and shooting the way you did before TP?  Thanks  Greg

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who has beaten Target panic?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
i overcame it with intense unrelenting practice, practice all the time.  all that anchoring and releasing drove it out of me.  Practice with a 3d target.  go to shoots.  start bragging about your abilities even when you know you cant do it just to put a little pressure on yourself helps too.

This is pretty out there stuff but I more or less tricked myself out of target panic
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Greg, I can say I have totally gotten over  target panic without switching hands or a clicker. It all started with a heavy bow along with I started snap shooting and then holding on the target while I was drawing. Had it as bad as I have seen anyone have it,seriously considered going back to the compound. The way I cured it was to start shooting the gap method where I would come to full draw and then look at where the arrow was in relation to the target, it made me stop for a second or two. (Prior to this I never would see my arrow while shooting). From there I eventually evolved into a split vision where I pick my spot but in my periferal vision I am aware of my arrow. This absolutely cured it for me, I now have control of when I release. I know this probably contradicts Asbel Push/pull method but for me I need to come to full draw for a second or two, to not slip back into tp.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline kwig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Greg, I had this for about 2 years. I can't remember where I read this but it worked for me. Every night before sleep step outside and nock an arrow. Come to full draw and hold, while pointing at something you DON'T want to shoot. I chose the back glass of my wifes new SUV. Do this three times nightly for a week before going back to the bale for regular practice. It worked for me, but if my wife knew... Good luck!

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
kwig,

I love it...that brought a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing that and congrads on conquering it!!!

Ray  ;)

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
The day I say I am totally over is the day I can never miss what I am aiming at again.

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I posted this twice on pow wow and couln't figure out why it wasn't there, I guess someone moved it. I'm driving myself nuts with this and I'm wondering if it can be beat entirely. The only people I meet who've been successful either switched hands, added a clicker or draw to anchor, then look at what they want to hit and aim from there. I'm wondering if anyone just retrained their brain Thanks  Greg

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Greg,I can say that although I'm not totally cured(I hate to say cured when I know it could return),by using Jay Kidwells' techniques,I am now in total control of my shot.My brain has been reprogrammed to release when I increase the tension in my back.I can hold as long as I want and let down or release.I still have occasional shots where I anticipate the release and throw a flier but my progress is unbelievable overall.It has taken me about a year to reach this point by faithfully using the exercises everytime I shoot.They really work but you have to realize that it takes time.In the past,I always wanted to be "cured"in a couple of weeks but that is not how it works.I shot for years with TP and the problem couldn't be cured in a few short weeks.Ity takes a whole reprogramming of the brain and that takes a committment to be willing to do whatever it takes for however long it takes.I'm still working on it and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my shooting life to prevent the return of TP.It can be overcome with hard work.Jay Kidwell's book."Instinctive Archery Insights"has a section on how to beat TP.
                                      RayJ

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
Greg a clicker and a draw check are just band aids in my opinion. Also changing hands seemed also to be temp fix for most people that I know of that have did it. For me it does not really ever go away. There are days I master it and there are days it gets me. The days I master it I shoot world class and the days it gets me I shoot mediocre but still acceptable because I know I will master it again soon.  I really think it’s a normal thing for just about any shooter that tries to reach a higher level of shooting to go through. Other than the select few that seem to be wired differently and never get it.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
To quote Lewis from Deliverance, "you don't beat the river". TP is the same way.  Just think of it as the "crazy aunt" you keep locked away in the attic.  You'll hear her puttering around up there from time to time, just try not to listen to the voices screaming "release"!.  Just kidding, good advice here. I have bouts to some degree about every other year. I'm convinced it's a type of "control freak" personality disorder!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Greg,

I'm going through it right now with great success at getting it under control. Well first i approach the target at a close distance, pick my spot, and draw to anchor, all the while telling myself..."dont shoot idiot" i do this about three times before shooting. When i can shoot the way i -should- everytime i then move back 5 feet(sometimes one step) Also when i have my wife shooting with me we take turns shooting, when it is my turn to shoot, i have her count to five, starting when i reach full draw and anchor. the rule is that i cannot shoot on 1-2 and cannot after 5, i must shoot at a natural timing while not "conciously" releasing for the shot. Anyway i have gained significant control in a short itme will doing this. Also let me add, if you sart messing up, go back to a closer range and try not to shoot over 30 minutes..Practice with a purpose... Hope that helps.

Paul.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
GregD,

The BEST way, IMO...IS to retrain your brain.

Jay Kidwell's book is AWESOME.

One of the best ways I have found to retrain the brain...is to do some blank bale work shooting close with no concern of needing to aim so you can focus on developing good, solid, repeatable form.

Once you are able to consistantly and solidly repeat your form...you can start to gradually incorporate aiming. Once you have decided you are ready for that...start at close distance by shooting at the center of the bale or by incorporating a large target on the bale and aim at that. When you can consistantly shoot at the bale or target and repeat your form solidly...step a little further back and repeat.

Ray  ;)

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
GregD,

Jay Kidwell posts on here occassionally and will probably assist you if you can find him. He had a thread titled Target Panic... I believe his handle is J-Kid. If you can't get in touch with him read his book which 3 Rivers carries. It's helped me more than anything else!
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
Here's a link to the thread I was thinking of:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001918
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tom A:
Greg a clicker and a draw check are just band aids in my opinion. Also changing hands seemed also to be temp fix for most people that I know of that have did it. For me it does not really ever go away. There are days I master it and there are days it gets me. The days I master it I shoot world class and the days it gets me I shoot mediocre but still acceptable because I know I will master it again soon.  I really think it’s a normal thing for just about any shooter that tries to reach a higher level of shooting to go through. Other than the select few that seem to be wired differently and never get it.
I agree with Tom (except for the world class shooting part), you don't ever get over it as long as you are thinking and have emotions.

The approach that has helped me control it is to be agressive but smooth with my execution.

I used to come to full draw, start aiming and allow the sight picture to cause me to hesitate with the release.  I would start to pull through, then see that my aimed wasn't perfect and slow up until I could consciously get it back.  Hesitation and jerky execution ruined many shots.

When I'm shooting well I picture my execution as snow slowly and smoothly sliding off of a roof. Once begun, I won't stop it for any reason.  

This is a constant fight because random thoughts keep popping up that distract me from the smooth uninterupted release.

I don't think that I will ever be totally cured, but I think that I can control it.

Allen

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
I've been cured now for about 7 years I guess. I had it pretty bad and it took me almost a year to kick it. I finally lost it completely and the Mid Atlantic Classic when just a close friend and I went around shooting and he coached me. I had gotten it a year before shooting with a group of ten people at Denton Hill.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
Guys, Thanks for the responses. I agree about the Kidwell book, I think I've read it a dozen times. I have become an expert at all of Jay's drills. They just don't help me when actually shooting or hunting. I can do the drills all day but when I go to shoot an arrow I snap shoot it.  Thanks again  Greg

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by GregD:
Guys, Thanks for the responses. I agree about the Kidwell book, I think I've read it a dozen times. I have become an expert at all of Jay's drills. They just don't help me when actually shooting or hunting. I can do the drills all day but when I go to shoot an arrow I snap shoot it.  Thanks again  Greg
I too struggled with this drill and that cure for years. I couldn't begin to guess how many "this will work" things I tried. Nothing helped me until I finally broke down and learned to use a clicker. Now not only am I shooting better than ever, it's actually fun again.

It may not work for you, but if you're looking for another option, it's always available.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Greg,

There is no program that will control target panic in every archer.  We are all different and developed target panic differently.

One thing that may help you is to try a "bridge" between Jay's drills and shooting targets & game.

This is simply starting close to a very large target and gradually working back to full distances and reducing the size of the target as you go.  One important thing is to not shoot full distance until you reach it in steps.  Also, if you shoot a bad shot, quit for that day and go back to the previous distance the next day. This rule suks if it's one of your first shots, but it is important to the bridge.

This bridge is not fun.  In fact it can be very boring, but that it part of the reason that it is effective.  It takes your good shot to the subconscious level.

Hope this helps,
Allen

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
My experience is about the same as TomAs.  I've been shooting sticks for more than 40 years, and for a good number of those years, I was on the top of the heap(as measured by tournament scores).  Not so anymore.  I've been fighting it for years.  Tried everything in the book(s). Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Usually manage to work my way out or it by hunting season most years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©