Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: three under vs. Split  (Read 1290 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
three under vs. Split
« on: July 07, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
What works best for you guys three under or split grip, Ive always used split with my longbow, but was thinkin about buyin a recurve and seen a lot of people use three under with a recurve is three under better for recurves or is it the same as split?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: three under vs. Split
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
I played around a bit with three under a couple of years ago.  I'm no expert by any means, but my thoughts were that it seemed to be more accurate at close known yardages, but I didn't seem to be as good at dropping them in from unknown yardages.  Might just be me, but it didn't seem like I was as good at judging distance instictively with three under.  

Also, it did sure seem to make the bow louder for whatever reason.  Maybe because my bows are tillered for split finger, or maybe I needed to play around more with the location of string silencers.  I didn't stick with it long enough to get comfortable with it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
split is good for recurve or longbow. just use what you shoot best with.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
I am a gap shooter and a whitetail treestand hunter.  Three under puts the arrow closer to my eye and my gap is not too much at 20 yds. and I am point on at 30yds.  It is really the only way things look right to me.  I don't have trouble with the bow being any louder though.

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
I tried both and went with 3 under. With 3 under my eye is closer to the arrow and i am more accurate that way. The bad side effect though is that, for some reason unknown to me, it is louder.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
I started split, was convinced (for a decade or so) to try three-under and now I'm back to split.  Three under was noisier (for me anyway) but they both seem equally accurate (again - for me).

If you do choose to go three under, you might consider making sure your bow is tillered for it.  Mine wasn't and in fairness, maybe that's why it was a bit louder.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
I strive for instinctive shooting and find no benefit to 3 under. Was wondering and see some above that love it are more inclined to do the gap thing..neat. Eye dominance changed w/ age and shooting canted w both eyes open, split works fine...

I had a bad time with tendonitis and got trigger finger some years back in the ring finger...I went to "2 under"--my index and middle under..worked ok...didn't seem to matter but felt wierd for a while!

Finger healed and back to split...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Started with 3-under because of wanting to avoid finger pinch (I draw 32").  My bows are tillered for this style, and I just don't see a reason to change.  Each person has a style they like, and reasons for it.  I know the G. Fred Asbell books for instinctive state that split is the best for the instinctive method, but I will continue with my style.  I'm happy......
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
I couldn't shoot 3 under to save my life. Just feels weird. However, I shoot split with a high anchor (cheekbone), so I would think the sight picture is about the same.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
3 under.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Split.  I tried 3-under and had these observations:

I found myself "sighting" down the arrow (aiming), and being used to instinctive, it felt weird.

Had less control of the arrow, didn't stay on the shelf as easily.  More sensitive to poor draw and string twist.

Out of that particular bow it was quieter. Go figure.

I decided to stick with split although I could see where someone starting out could get more repeatable results with 3-under.  I just didn't want to screw up my form so I quit and stuck with what I was comfortable with.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Split Finger gives the archer more control of the arrow. Try shooting with a reverse cant using 3 Under and you will see what I mean.

3 Under places the arrow closer to the eye decreasing your Point On range which can make it easier to aim if your target distance is closer.

Find what works best for you and your specific goals by trying and comparing both of them under the specific circumstances you will be shooting in.

Ray  ;)

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
I use 3 under. I prefer it to split fingers, and find it easier to anchor and aim using it!   ;)
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
I started with split finger and have always shot that way,it just feels more natural to me.And when I shot 3D in traditonal longbow class split finger was required.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Split finger works for me. Tried three under and it just didn't feel right especially beyond 20 yards.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
my wife shoots 3 under so i decided i would try it just to see what it was like.  well i did shoot good  with it at about 12 to 10 yards.  the biggest thing i noticed was that it made my arrows fly alot slower.  may have been my release.  but i am still shooting split, and my wife still shoots 3 under.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
Split, just cannot do the three under thing. Grew up shooting slit and it works for me. Kinda like others have said: use what works for ya, if you are accurate with one, why change to another?

Happy shootin,

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
The nocking point has ALOT to do with the way the 2 different styles perform. Play with it a little and see what happens! Atleast it did for me.  YMMV
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Ya gotta have a bow tillerd for 3 under to make it correct.

Hey I have one for sale.

John

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I found tiller doesn't really matter.  My original limbs are for 3under and my new limbs I presume (bought from another TGer, never asked) are split. Nock point just a hair higher and noise about the same.

Shoot what you like and go with it.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©