Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What to do when having a bad practice night?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
What to do when having a bad practice night?
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
Last night I was shooting POORLY. The harder I tried to correct the worst I shot.
When having a bad night of shooting; Should you stop shooting for the night to keep from getting into a bad habit or should you keep shooting?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to do when having a bad practice night?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Stop, open a beer and read a book or build some arrows.
             Izzy

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
You know, when that happens... I know it isn't going to get better because I'm just gonna keep getting more frustrated and then I never shoot well. So, I put the bow down, grab a nice single barrel bourbon, and enjoy a movie or a game from the comfort of my recliner. Or, I'll play with my dog for awhile. Then, I'll pick that bow back up in a day or two when I've stopped thinking about how bad I was shooting. Somehow, it works everytime.

Greg
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Personally I just stop and go do something else.I just don't care about shooting just to say I done it.If I am not in the mood and it shows in my shooting I consider it wasteing time to keep on unless it is just something in particular I am trying or working on like tuneing arrows or shooting in a new bow.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
I agree with the other guys. Never practice bad habits. Just put it away and go do something else. I shoot bad enough when I'm not having a bad day, no need to practice that way.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
When having a poor night of shooting...

I shoot until I ACCIDENTALLY get one to go in the bulls-eye. Then I quit for the night having shot my best arrow of the night. Even if I have to walk up to the 5yd mark to get it done, I always quit on a good arrow. Then, like the others said, go do something else.

Rick Ellis from striker bows also gave me some good advice once.  He said, "Don't worry about the last arrow you shot.  Just worry about this one and focus on shooting it right."

My 2 cents,
-Charlie

Offline clear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
I guess I am hard headed. I shoot till its better or I cant sleep at night. At 1 good shot or a good group.
its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog

Offline BONE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Tim--When I have those days I first try to analyze the cause of the bad shot and try to fix it. That works most on the time only if you keep a cool head,if you let yourself get bent out of shape and up-set it will not work. Take a break and come back to it later and usually you will shoot better.Works for me YMMV.--------Bone

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Beer, bath(beer?), book (beer?), bed (cocoa!).  :D

Unless you can pinpoint exactly what you're doing wrong, pack it in. You'll only frustrate yourself.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
After each good practice shot, you should think back over the shot and visualize that good shot.

Then when you make the inevitable bad shot, immediatly visualize the good shot.  

Once you have your form established, I don't think that you can learn anything from a bad shot.  Try to put it out of your mind and focus only on your good shots.

This seems to be working for me.  Every bad shot that I make is because I let something about my form slip.  If I re-set by visualizing a good shot, it usually corrects the form flaw for the next shot.  If not, I take a few minutes out, get closer to the target and focus on my form again.

The exception to this is if the bad shot is a result of equipment failure.  Obviously, if that's the case, you have to stop and get it fixed.

Hope this helps,
Allen

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
When having a poor night of shooting...

I shoot until I ACCIDENTALLY get one to go in the bulls-eye. Then I quit for the night having shot my best arrow of the night. Even if I have to walk up to the 5yd mark to get it done, I always quit on a good arrow. Then, like the others said, go do something else.
x2

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
If you're having a bad night of practice it's usually caused by not being able to focus...and if you're trying to focus on a multitude of things at the same time such as aiming, form or other things that may distract you...you're bound to have a bad practice session.

My suggestion would be to get up close to your target...preferably a blank bale or back stop so you can just focus on one aspect of your form at a time with no concern for aiming. When you focus on one thing at a time...the mind has a much easier time managing that...than trying to manage many things.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Definitely don't force yourelf to practice while practicing bad habits because they will eventually get engrained within your subconscious if you keep doing them over and over again.

Ray  ;)

Offline inthecrease

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
[QB] When having a poor night of shooting...

x3

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
a good night to throw a throwing stick...

If you ain't enjoying it, why are you doing it?  You won't get better until you can smile.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline inthecrease

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
[QB] When having a poor night of shooting...

x3

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
I put it away. Do something else. Then later on I try to analyze what I was doing wrong or watch one of my Traditional DVDs (Masters of the Barebow I & II, Become the Arrow, etc) , sometimes while watching them I see something I forgot or was doing wrong and it jogs my memory.
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
I get close if I must.  Shoot a good shot and then quit.  Always end on a good note.  The mind is a powerful thing, keep it on your side.  :thumbsup:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Guess I'm stubborn too.  I just buckle down and concentrate and that usually fixes the problem unless I am too fatigued.  Then I will take a few minutes rest and start up again.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Time for 2-fingers of Jack on the rocks.... some days your head just isn't into it
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Jim beam & coke works for me!!    :help:   somtimes beer-but Jim is better   :banghead:
Bull

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©