Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: String Walking/Face Walking  (Read 1596 times)

Offline MO Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
String Walking/Face Walking
« on: August 18, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Hello all. I am just getting into traditional gear after years of wheelie bows. I caught the fever for stick and string. I'm glad to have found this site and look forward to gaining knowledge from all of you. I know this is my first post, but could someone explain to me the process of Stringwalking/facewalking. I do not plan on shooting any competitions. Only hunting. This may have been explained in another post, but I'm unable to find it. I appreciate any input.
MO Bowman
Martin Black Mamba #45@28"
Martin X-200 #50@28"
Diamond Recon

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Walking/Face Walking
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
Well, first off Welcome to the Gang and to trad archery!  As for your questions, I don't do either string or face walking but I think I can explain each.  Both are ways to change your elevation in a repeatable manner when shooting.  Both also require that you have a pretty good idea of the distance to the target.  In string walking you move your drawing fingers up or down the string to raise or lower your point of impact.  Your hand anchors in the same spot on your face each time.  In face walking you do just the opposite.  Your fingers grip the string in the same spot each time but you move your anchor point up or down your face to lower or raise your point of impact.  Take note that if you string walk and move your fingers down the string you will raise the point of impact.  But if you face walk and lower your anchor point you will raise the point of impact.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by jhansen:
                                                   Take note that if you string walk and move your fingers down the string you will raise the point of impact.

John
John, moving to a lower finger position(crawl)with same anchor,lower's point of impact(shortens point on distance), does it not?
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Whump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
Whump Sez; Here is a technique I use to take whitetails every year, and it is a form of face walking and point on shooting. I shoot split finger and anchor at the corner of my eye for shots from right under the tree out to 15 yds using the point of the arrow as a reference point. For shots 20 out to 50 I anchor at the corner of my mouth--which gives me a point on shot at 40 yds. Now this is not complicated if you stand hunt as you can sit in the tree and pass the time laying out different yardages with the 10yd plus 10 yd system for range estimation. When the deer comes by said bush or tree at such and such a yardage you know where to hold on the deer and which anchor point to use.This being said, I rarely shoot over 30ft from the tree setting up my stand  for a close shot and a anchor point that falls at the corner of my eye. You can also check out my moving target video on "You tube" and see that the system works really well[whumps moving archery target]  There is nothing wrong with string walking---but having 2 anchor points covers any distance I will be shooting with trad equipment, and is much faster for me in a hunting situation. I hope this gives you a little better idea about a face walking and point on    :archer:   system of shooting. Hunt safe.

Offline MO Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
Thanks Whump. Yes this gives me a better understanding. I still have a couple of weeks before the season starts to practice. I'm really looking forward to this season. It's my first with traditional tackle. I'm a decent archer with modern equipment, but I believe this will be more of a challenge for me. Once again, thanks.
MO Bowman
Martin X-200 #50@28"
Diamond Recon

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Rod,
You are correct.  I had it backwards on string walking.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
MO Bowman,

Just a couple of weeks??? It usually takes most people longer than that to master their shooting techinique to feel confident enough to go hunting...but all the more power to you...if you can do it.

String Walking and Face Walking are extremely accurate aiming techiniques. Their advantages are more apparent in target competitions but many archers have made them also work for hunting.

They both allow the archer to use the arrow tip more like a sight pin where they adjust their anchor point or grip on the string to place the arrow on the target or somewhere very near it.

It's not as fluid and as quick as some of the other techiniques...but it can definitely work.

Each aiming techinique will have advantages and disadvantages...it's up to you to find the one that best suits your goals, ability and personality.

Ray  ;)

Offline MO Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Black Wolf, don't worry. I'm a very ethical hunter. I will take no shot unless I'm 100% sure of a clean and quick kill. I'm a pretty decent (shooting instictive)shot out to about 20 yds. I just want to learn a system that will help me @ further distances. Even with modern tackle, I don't like to shoot much past 35 yds. The reason I'm going to traditional is that I want to stalk and get even closer. I'm limiting my distance to 15 yds with traditional until I'm more proficient.
MO Bowman
Martin X-200 #50@28"
Diamond Recon

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
MO Bowman,

I hope I didn't give you the impression that I was really worried about ya.

I was just impressed by your enthusiasim and trying to support you while trying to give you the best advice I can give and be realistic about it  ;)

Based on what you've said...if I had to suggest either/or for you to learn...I would suggest Face Walking because you can adjust anchor point without taking your eyes off the deer for the specific yardage. Whereas with String Walking...you would most likely have to look down at your drawing hand to adjust it into the proper position on the string when you decide to take the shot. With Face Walking you just have to be familiar with your anchor points and the yardages they correspond to. So basically...in most cases Face Walking would just be faster and allow you to keep your eyes on the deer and increase your chances of getting a shot off.

Go get 'em  ;)

Ray  ;)

Offline MO Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Black Wolf, no ill feelings. I know that it's hard to get across how you mean things to sound on a bulletin board. I appreciate your advice.
MO Bowman
Martin X-200 #50@28"
Diamond Recon

Offline Steve Gabriel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under and I facewalk.

I place the knuckle of my thumb under my cheekbone. Then:
My thumb touching my ring finger and my index finger touching the poing where my nose bone goes under my eye = 15 yards and under.
Middle of thumb touches the ring and big fingers,
index finger where nose bone touches cheek bone ~ 25.
Middle of thumb touches the index and big fingers,
index finger touches top of canine tooth (the part under the gum)cheek bone ~ 33.
Bottom of thumb touches top of index finger, index finger touching canine ~45.

Using the knuckle of my thumb touching my cheekbone gives me a base where I can just slide my fingers along the thumb to adjust my distance.
It's harder to describe than to do.

Steve

Offline Skinny Little Runt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Steve, Is that finger walking??LOL Very interesting. I gotta try that. That might be what I saw at a shoot that didn;t allow walking or anchor changing. It looked like each shot was a little different..but couldn't quite spot it.

Hey Whump, saw your film. Good stuff!
"It ain't over till it's over"....

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
Here is an example of stringwalking. Sorry about my art. LOL

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Tom,

LOL! That actually explains it very well.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
I use split finger with two anchor points like others have mentioned.  For 35 yards and under I anchor with my middle finger at corner of mouth and 35 yards and over the index finger at the corner of my mouth.  I don't do the latter hunting, rather for fun and games shooting out to 60 yards.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©