Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Newbie Question. How do I choose my arrows  (Read 692 times)

Offline Jhomey

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie Question. How do I choose my arrows
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
I want to go with carbon for now since its easier right now for me. But what weight, how long of feathers.

I'm shooting a 60lb @28 Bear Montana long bow
Now, My draw is only about 26, I don't know why but its the way it is.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated, Thanks

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie Question. How do I choose my arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I shoot bow in the mid 50's and use easton axis 500's. I draw 27 and use a 28" arrow. You can get field points from 125 up to 250 to fine tune.
Also recomment you use the 100 grain brass inserts vs the ones that come with the arrow. I use 3 5" feathers.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
There are many factors that go into selecting an arrow.  There is usually a range of arrows that will work for your setup in a range of prices.

Some considerations are:
- Spine
- point weight
- length
- fletching
- cost
- diameter
- overall weight

A good place to start is some of the on line cataloges.  You will get an idea of what is available and can make decisions on how much you want to spend.  Then go to the manufacturer's websites to figure out what spine that you will need.

Of course, you will need to figure out what you plan to do with your archery.  Hunting, target competition or simple plinking can lead to different arrow selections.   Not better or worse, just different.  However, some arrows can be good choices for all three.  It just depends on which direction archery is taking you.

Good luck,
Allen

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Um, if you are a newbie you are making your first major mistake by trying to learn to shoot a bow thats 60lbs pull. Put that aside and get yourself a lower weight bow perhaps in the low 40s and work with that for at least 6 months till you perfect your form. Then I would step up 10 lbs to a 50 lber etc.

Offline Jhomey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by cvarcher:
Um, if you are a newbie you are making your first major mistake by trying to learn to shoot a bow thats 60lbs pull. Put that aside and get yourself a lower weight bow perhaps in the low 40s and work with that for at least 6 months till you perfect your form. Then I would step up 10 lbs to a 50 lber etc.
Sorry I forgot to mention I shot with a 45lb recurve before I got the long bow.

I lose about 10 lbs of draw weight do to my short draw. With that #45 recurve I was inly getti9ng around 35 or so. With this 60# I'm getting a good 50#.

I think my form is pretty consistant, thats why I want to get my arrows right so i can really see whats going on.

I will be hunting with this bow, and doing target.

Offline Jhomey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Well, I'm going to a guy at the local bow shop and he's gonna help me figure it out.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
Jhomey-  Are your arrows grouping?  If so I will agree that your form is good as I am sure.  I would look at Easton's X7's about a 2014.  I am shooting 50# at 27.5" with my longbow and they shoot great.  another is call Gold tip, they are really good at helping people out and stand behind there product.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©