Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bareshafting  (Read 627 times)

Offline joconn

• Trad Bowhunter
Bareshafting
« on: September 09, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Hi Gang,
I have a club 3D tourney tomorrow evening and trying to get some arrows ready. I am bareshafting some Easton XX75, 1916`s and at ten yards they are flying and hitting nock left and a tad nock high, otherwise hitting close to my aim point.
Specs:
Arrows - XX75, 1916 Lite, cut to 30", 150 gr points.
Bow - Martin MX200, 45lbs, 8" brace, nock point is 3/8 above shelf level. I draw about 26".
I am not real savvy on bow tuning and would really appreciate some advice.
Joe.

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bareshafting
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
Joe,  Here is my two cents.  Let's begin with a few things that might assist you.  One, make sure that if you wish to have the best reading from your bareshaft testing, make sure the target butt is at the same level as the bow. In other words, make sure you can shoot level, not down, or up.

The next thing, don't get hung up on nock left or nock right in the target butt.  The question you should be asking is, when I shoot, do I see nock left, right, up, or down while in flight.

It is what the arrow is doing in flight, not what the arrow is doing in the target.  Target material can fool you, they can give you a false reading.

I will leave my advice at this point, too much information can be more confusing. Give it a try, and move forward from there.  

Scott
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline joconn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Scott. I am seeing nock left in flight. My target is low. I will try to raise it to level flight.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
joconn,
In bare shafting you are supposed to shoot both bare unfletched shafts and fletched ones.  The idea is to get both types to shoot to the same point of impact.  How the bare shaft flies tells you more about your release than anything else.    :)  

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Read this if you haven't helps me a lot it's in my favorites because I refer back to it from time to time

http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©