Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Where Is Your Anchor?  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where Is Your Anchor?
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
I will need to find a new anchor I think. Mine comes from the wheelie bow days when I used a pivoting release. To cant the bow, I would have to cant the bow reverse.  I guess I described it wrong. I anchor with the web between my thumb and index finger behind my jawbone. Its a very solid anchor but won't work for shooting fingers. I just need some daylight to practice and shoot.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Bradd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Greg,
I think I know what you are talking about.  Your hand angles away from your face?  

If so, tuck your thumb under the jaw, lower your elbow down and back, while squeezing more with the draw arm back muscles. With the right back muscle tension, the elbow will come around on its own and the hand will follow to line up flatter.
B.B.
DAS Elite 33lbs@27"
Martin Vision Longbow 33lbs@27"
KAP T-Rex - Winstorm Limbs

Aim for Center of Center!

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
McDave is right.

Another way to use what he says is to hold your head out of the way as you find the best position in your back, shoulder, and elbow. When you have it, just lay your face over against your hand as if it was your favorite shotgun. Snuggle it in until you find some reference points to remember. - lbg

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
top of the mornin to you guys,I havent posted for a while but this thread is really helpful since it seems i am always fiddling around with this.I tried G Freds stance and it has seemed to get my bow arm and drawing shouldr in line by moving my anchor point back to my lower bottom molar H H type anchor,again greetings.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
I use several anchors...forefinger on upper tooth, vee formed by thumb and forefinger behind the jaw, gap at target, and contraction of back muscles.

IMO Anchor brings to mind a stopping place and should be regarded as only a slowing down place, before expanding to release.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Success!  I have changed my anchor from the tip of my middle finger in the corner of my mouth to the first joint of that same finger touching the corner of my mouth.  Much better alignment.  Bonus is that now I can use my former anchor as a reference to start the slow squeeze into my new anchor.  Thanks to Terry Green for his emphasis on proper alignment.  I know recommend to everyone to go in front of the mirror, NO ARROW, and draw their bow back until they have proper alignment.  Then make note of you anchor at the time.  It can make all the difference.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
Your shortening you draw and getting better alignment??
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »
No lengthening.  I was touching the very tip of my finger to the corner.  Now I am sliding it back until the knuckle touches.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Bradd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Bear Heart:  Congrats on finding the perfect anchor for you!!!  I cannot get out much in the winter (we have 8" of snow that fell yesterday and now have cooolllldddd temps) so I had to learn and practice using the mirror all last winter.  What a wonderful tool!!!
B.B.
DAS Elite 33lbs@27"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by SHOOTO8S:

IMO Anchor brings to mind a stopping place and should be regarded as only a slowing down place, before expanding to release.
Yeah  Boy!!!....

The anchor point should be an evolution to execution!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Anchor and release are two archery terms that should have been given much more thought as to all the confusion they were gonna be causing   :D

Its interesting that I've never heard a well credentialed coach use the term release.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

Yeah  Boy!!!....

The anchor point should be an evolution to execution!!! [/b]
Never thought of that. Great insight.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Anchor and release are two archery terms that should have been given much more thought as to all the confusion they were gonna be causing    :D  

Its interesting that I've never heard a well credentialed coach use the term release.
Interesting, what terms do they use?

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Most never mention the act of letting go of the string...simply because having a name and making it a part of the shot..makes letting go, a conscious act, when most agree it should be totaly subconsious...so generally they teach...anchor, increased pulling(expansion) and conclusion...letting the letgo(release) happen subconsciouly between the expansion and conclusion....and I agree ....if you think about letting go, soon most anticipate and screw up thr shot....its nearly impossible for most to not anticipate, so why not anticipate going to the conclusion and not ruining the shot?
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
I use three reference points. I use the second knuckle of my thumb touching my ear lobe. The cock feather touches my nose and the bow string touches my eyebrow. This has worked well for me, but I really like the smooth draw and release that Terry Green has. I've seen his videos and I've tried to mimic it. So far I keep going back to what works.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Thanks Rod.

Ever consider writing a book? I'd buy it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
Good stuff Rod    :thumbsup:  

Pope....yep, you can experiment, and in the end, you will find what works best for you.

I too tried lots of different things early on, and got tips from many....the one's that fit me lead me to my own personal shooting style.

What didn't fit me, I left on the table.  All we can do here is try and suggest what works for us, and even at times what works for others, but in the end you gotta find your style that fits you best.

I'll still be hollering about proper alignment though as I think it is the foundation of a consistent repeatable shot.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
I shoot three fingers under, bringing my middle finger to the corner of my mouth and the tip of my extended thumb to the back of my ear. I used to pluck the string but since I have extended my thumb it brings the string closer to my face and when the thumb touches the ear it tells me I am at full draw and the release kinda just happens. No more plucking and much smaller groups.

Offline Bradd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
The best way I heard it put is;

"You don't let go of the arrow...you let the arrow go"  and...

"The release should be a surprise.  If not, then you thought about it and interrupted the true intention...to maintain concentration on the center of center.  If the arrow did happen to hit where you originally intended, then you just got lucky."
B.B.
DAS Elite 33lbs@27"

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
I "ignored" this thread for awhile thinking that since I have "longish" arms and relatively narrow (from humerus to humerus) shoulders I had no need of a lengthening.

Today I tried bringing my index finger to the prominent point of my cheek bone instead of my middle finger to the corner mouth. (Probably about an extra 1")  Coming all the way back to ear and what-not felt way way wrong.

Shooting improved, but I'm worried about the consistency of the anchor.  Going to keep playing around but if anyone else is "ignoring" this thread cause they don't thing there body structures it, give it a try.
Micah 6:8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©