Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Brace Height ???  (Read 521 times)

Offline Ron Haines

• Trad Bowhunter
Brace Height ???
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Well I am working on getting the bow tuned properly.  I have been playing around with the brace height lately.  The bow is a reflex/deflex takedown longbow.  According to the bowyer the brace is right around 6 7/8".  Here is my dilemma.  When I had the brace set at 7 5/8" the bow was quiet and low vibration, but not super accurate.  Now I have it down to 6 7/8", the bow is super loud and lots of hand vibration but very accurate.  All measurements are taken from the belly of the handle, right where the thumb web meets handle.  Just so everyone knows the above is done with NO string silencers.

Is it possible that the string is too short?  it is a 64" tip to tip, with a 60.5" string.

I am new at the tuning thing.  I usually just shot the bow and did not worry about these things.  But now I do.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Ron

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace Height ???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Your string is not too short, so long as it has the minimum required twists in it at your 6 7/8" brace height.  I'll leave it to more experienced people to advise you on brace height.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron Haines:
 When I had the brace set at 7 5/8" the bow was quiet and low vibration, but not super accurate.  
Seems 7 5/8'' is where the bow wants to shoot....but not your arrow's.

I'd play with point weight to alter dynamic arrow spine and hopefully tune the arrows to where the bow wants to shoot.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
Yep, What Rod said..Set brace for the least noise/vibration, then tune your arrows acordingly leaving the brace height alone. If you are going to use silencers, get them on there before you put much effort into tuning.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©