Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Right handed,left eye dominant  (Read 1197 times)

Offline JESSE69

• Trad Bowhunter
Right handed,left eye dominant
« on: December 13, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant.Would it help to switch,it would take some work but I believe I could?would the benefit be worth buying a lefty bow and all of the work?Thanks,Jesse  :campfire:
THAT PUTS YOU IN ONE POSSIBLY TWO CATEGORIES,SUCKS TO BE YOU AND BETTER YOU THAN ME.    JOKINGLY OF COURSE

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Right handed,left eye dominant
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
According to Kidman and others, it doesn't matter what eye dominant you are. You can shoot right hand and be left eye dominant. I shoot right hand and my eye dominance changes on occasion, and I have no problem hitting where I aim. Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
I'm the same as you.  If you are just beginning to shoot, then some would say, yes, switch.  If you have been shooting a while and you feel comfortable shooting RH, then probably no.  I tried to switch and just can't get comfortable shooting left handed.  If you do switch, get a very light poundage bow, like no more than #40 and be prepared to be frustrated for a little while.  Just getting the arrow on the string and drawing the bow felt very awkward for me the first few times I shot lefty.  Also, use a big backstop, but not your house, don't ask how I know that!  Good luck with what ever you choose!
Chris

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
I too am right-handed but left eye dominant.  Since a child it has always been a natural act to put a long gun against my left shoulder, and pick up a pistol with my left hand.  When I becan shooting a bow as a 12 year old, my parnets bought me a fiberglass youth bow that could be shot either way and of couse I learned to shoot the natural to me left handed way.
Shooting instictively why would we want to change what we find is normal?
The only draw back I find is the limited number of used bows to trade on.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline JESSE69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
I have been huntng traditional since about october so t has'nt been long.I might look around and see if I could find a lefty bow or borrow one and try it.If it is possible I think it would neat to shoot/hunt both ways provided I'm accurate enough.Thanks for the replies,Jesse  :campfire:
THAT PUTS YOU IN ONE POSSIBLY TWO CATEGORIES,SUCKS TO BE YOU AND BETTER YOU THAN ME.    JOKINGLY OF COURSE

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Jesse I'm the same way , I shot RH for years . Change right now and learn how to shoot LH, yes it will be awkward for a while but the benefits outway the trouble 10 fold.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
I'm left-eye dominant and shoot right handed.  I shoot instinctively so I don't consciously have any awareness of the bow/arrow location.  My focus is on the "spot."  If I do look at the bow/arrow position at full draw, I see nothing that helps my shooting.  I don't care because I want my focus to fully on the target.  So then, does the bow/arrow location help me get on target?  I'd say my brain has finally figured it out and the answer is yes.  But since I shoot instinctively, with no conscious aiming reference, it matters not.

So, if you want to shoot instinctively and you are in more control shooting right handed, I would not make the switch.    If, on the other hand, you think you might want to tinker with gap shooting etc., then you will have to make the switch.

For me, fun means keeping my focus on the target and letting the arrows fly to the mark.  I don't want to think about anything on my end of the equation.  For others, fun means taking more control at their end of the equation and manipulating variables to figure this out or that out.  Once you answer what kind of person you are, and both are absolutely okay, you have your answer about switching.  Hope that helps some.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Stay with right hand. Better selection of used bows..  :bigsmyl:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
I too am left eye dominant, but shot right hand. I have a friend that is left eye dominant and right handed but shoots left handed in order to shoot to his dominant eye. He had minor difficulties switching but shoots great now.
I find that on occasion I have fliers that I have contributed to the occasional focusing with the wrong eye. When I'm in a grove nothing bothers my focus. But on those off days, I will have a few fliers and have to make sure I focus with the correct eye.
I have also found that when I shoot left handed, although the draw fells a bit odd, my focus on the spot is automatic. I feels great because i don't have to think about it. I am considering changing, but it's more for an aging rotator cuff than shooting issues.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
I switched to left hand bows and shotguns about eight years ago, it was no problem and much needed.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Bradd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
My girlfriend is the same as you and wears a patch...simple fix and she looks hot!  If you wear glasses, a piece of scotch tape on the left lens will work too.
B.B.
DAS Elite 33lbs@27"
Martin Vision Longbow 33lbs@27"
KAP T-Rex - Winstorm Limbs

Aim for Center of Center!

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
An eye patch or scotch tape on the lens of your glasses will mess up your depth perception which relies on retinal disparity between two eyes.  It would be extremely difficult to shoot at unknown yardages using one-eyed scotopic vision as occurs in a hunting situation.  If you are gap or point of aim shooting you will need to switch.  If you are focused on the target only you're better off staying with your right handed bow.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
If all you want to do is target, then close your left eye and shoot. If you want to shoot at unknown yardages with both eyes open, you have two options the way I see it. Go to your eye doctor and see how dominant your left eye is.
Don't worry, the good ones work with shooters and know how to help. One option is to use a disposable contact in your right eye while shooting, sounds crazy I know, but ask the expert who really knows your eyes, your DR. Next try lefty, one thing is for shure you need patientce and lots of practice and over time you will get good enough to do what you need to.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
If I was starting out or didn;t have a lot of time in, I'd switch to left hand.....otherwise one of the best shooters I know is lefteyed/righthanded and gaps..so it can be done!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Been shooting bows for 45 years. Right handed left eye dom. I shoot well this way cause like Dr. Kidwell I focus on the spot and shoot. If you want to switch, you can but you do not have to to be a good shot. It is just too un-natural feeling to me to do it, as I said I am fine the way I am.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
blink your left eye
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »
Wapiti has the answer.I started gap shooting when I had trouble.I've shot long and frequent enough to develope into a instictive shooter.Wapiti's tip to squint your left eye durring the draw and anchor cycle and then completely open it just before release,has worked very well for me.bProbaly the long road to get there but I'm very pleased w/ my shooting.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
I too am left eye dominant. make the switch. I did and I'm very happy I did
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
WELL HECK I'm all screwed up then cause I'm left handed and left eye dominant but have always shot right handed. I write left handed, throw left handed golf right handed bat left sheesh I could go on. Oh well I know I "see" the tip of the arrow although I try not to but I just look at the spot I want to hit and sometimes it gets there. I'm just a hunter and catch the occational 3d shoot and have been doing this all too long to switch. I tried to shoot left handed once and, well, it looked and felt like everything but shooting a bow. Think I tried a few arrows and said I aint switchin nope, never. It just feels "right" to shoot right handed
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Matt1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »
i to am left eye dominant i shoot compound bows left handed but i have always shot traditional right handed.  well just got a recurve that was left handed and wow little wierd at first but now its just comin natural.  i would say if you can get a cheap left handed try it and then if its not working switch back to right handed good luck and let us know how it goes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©