Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: compound and recurve  (Read 2178 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
compound and recurve
« on: December 17, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
is it a mistake to shoot both should one just focus on shooting the recurve ive been told by someone i dont know that going back and fourth between the two will mess me up and if i really want to shoot trad thats all i should shoot.  You guys think this is true that shooting my compound will hurt my development as a trad shooter?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: compound and recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Depends on how you shoot them and you. If you truly want to go Traditional and hunt with a Traditional bow, then put the compound away and make the commitment to do it right.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Good advice there.  This is a great time of year to make the change and be fully committed to the recurve. You will progress faster I think if you can just stick with it full time.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
I would think you'd want to go cold-turkey for awhile.  You don't have to sell the compound.  Keep it.  

I'm finding it hard enough to switch...and I've not touched the wheels for over a month now.

If your mind was a computer...shooting traditional is not a new version of Windows...it's a whole new platform.  New software required.
Micah 6:8

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
I shoot traditional 95% of the time...My son has a compound and once in a while he insists that I shoot my compound with him...I pull it out...place the arrow exactly where I want it for 3 arrows and then put it away...Just a way to satisfy an 8 year old that his dad really can shoot that bow!  I love my longbows...They have made me a better archer...Just my 2 cents worth...
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I am probably spelling this wrong but I believe Fred Eichler shoots both very well.  I shoot both but I shoot 3 fingers under and use the arrow for a reference on my longbow and I feel very confindent with my shooting.  My opinion take it for what is worth.  I wish you luck with your shooting.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Last year I had my compound and used it a few times during the season. Never really practiced with the wheels as I was really into making the transition to trad. Once  the season was over I sold the wheels to pay for my first custom and have never regretted it or looked back.  I believe when you limit your self to one weapon and make the commitment with nothing to fall back on it does help accelerate the learning curve. Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
I agree with David. I think it will mess you up to shoot something as different from Trad as a compound, but better to be shooting anything than nothing at all. There is obviously going to be some carry over; however, you are still counting on muscle memory to shoot instinctively, and that depends on the same motions and forces being basically repeatable. A compound bow, by design, has a very different force curve and feel compared to a recurve or longbow. Fred Eichler shoots both, and no one can say he can't shoot traditional equipment well, but I doubt Fred spends much time shooting his compound. Bows with sights don't require much practice when you have been shooting a trad bow instinctively. I think of a compound bow much like I do my rifles. If they are sighted in correctly, I can hit what is in my sights, provided I know the distance to the target and it is within the range I am competent to be shooting (like 60 yards with a compound and 400 yards with a long range rifle). Of course, I rarely shoot a compound -- only when one of my wheelie buddies wants me to try out his new bow, and then only at targets.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
my plan was somthing like yours bow loving i just shoot my compound to make sure pins are still set then shoot recurve the rest of the time if a hunting situation comes up wear there is a realistic chance of getting a 50 yard shot and no way of getting closer then grab the compound since shooting that is automatic to me

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
I agree with David. I think it will mess you up to shoot something as different from Trad as a compound, but better to be shooting anything than nothing at all. There is obviously going to be some carry over; however, you are still counting on muscle memory to shoot instinctively, and that depends on the same motions and forces being basically repeatable. A compound bow, by design, has a very different force curve and feel compared to a recurve or longbow. Fred Eichler shoots both, and no one can say he can't shoot traditional equipment well, but I doubt Fred spends much time shooting his compound. Bows with sights don't require much practice when you have been shooting a trad bow instinctively. I think of a compound bow much like I do my rifles. If they are sighted in correctly, I can hit what is in my sights, provided I know the distance to the target and it is within the range I am competent to be shooting (like 60 yards with a compound and 400 yards with a long range rifle). Of course, I rarely shoot a compound -- only when one of my wheelie buddies wants me to try out his new bow, and then only at targets.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
i think the two compliment one another.  an archer is an archer, no matter what type of bow he chooses.  using a compound out to a given distance and watching its trajectory has helped me with gauging distances and where/how to hold my tradbows at longer distances.

Offline BroMark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
I agree with part of what has been said - that shooting a compound (assuming sights and release) is a completely different discipline than shooting traditional (assuming shooting using a sight picture, or "instinctive").

I do not, however, agree that shooting one is detrimental to the other.  That is based solely on my own experience and also based on what I stated above - that they are two different games.

I shoot both, acknowledging that I shoot traditional much more than I shoot compounds - probably 98% traditional.  I haven't had a problem holding a pin on a spot and pulling a trigger and I don't notice that shooting giving me problems when I'm shooting my recurve/longbow.

Maybe I'm just different, but I don't think shooting a compound with sights/release would mess me up on traditional shooting any more than shooting a rifle with sights would.

Not being argumentative!!!  Just stating my own experiences...
Blood bought - twice born - heaven bound!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Yes it can be done, especially if using sites on the compound. But(always a but) Traditional takes time and practice beyond what shooting a compound has, it takes a commitment. If you have the crutch or fallback of the compound will you make the commitment to really learn how to shoot it properly or will just have in the back of your mind that well I can just grab the compound when hunting season gets here? I've seen a lot of guys come from compound to Trad and then bail out. I've also seen a lot of guys put the wheels a way and work at being the best archer they can be with Trad Tackle and be extremely successful.

Not saying you can't do both, just saying time spent shooting the compound is time that could be used for improving your Traditional bow shooting skills if you really want to be serious.

I've shot a few compounds myself, nothing wrong with them, I just prefer longbows and recurves so invest the practice time I get with them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline red44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
I shoot them both. They're different enough to me that I don't think it hurts. I have not committed to recurves only, just like I have'nt sworn off muzzleloaders or shotguns either. Recurves (or Longbows) are deffinately more demanding to reach near the same proficiancy. I find myself shooting them alot more lately in that desire to get better with it. But it's nice to be able to pick up one of the compounds and drill spots. How I'd love to get that good with a recurve!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
I think that physically, mechanically, it's probably no big deal. A compound doesn't require the hand/eye coordination or muscle memory that a traditional bow does.

That said, I think that there will come a time when you need to pick a side of the fence....the mental aspects of the way you hunt with a traditional bow can't possible co-mingle with the mindset of a compound hunter.

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
one thing I noticed after spending a day on the range with a compound it showed me that with my RER I needed to focus on a spot more and also my shot sequence.  my groups became tighter with my recurve.  I paid more attention on where/how to pick a spot.  I picked up on little things with my shot sequence that I was not doing prior.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
Im loving this thread I too look at grabbin the compound as some what as picking up a gun if that makes sense roger you made a great point that i havent even thought of but makes alot of sense the mind set of hunting would be totally different different setups different approaches

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
It's all about what you want out of your hunting experience and how much of a challenge you want. Traditional becomes a mind set and more over time. Just look at those who've been doing it for decades opposed to those just starting out. It's fun to watch new blood develop.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Pick which one is the most fun to shoot. I never really enjoyed shooting a compound, just sight it in, shoot a dosen or so arras a day, go hunting. To me, I enjoy shooting my trad bows, getting to hunt with them is an extended Christmas present. I shoot almost everyday I can and it has NEVER felt like practice, just fun however humbling/challenging.
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
Oct 2nd I killed an Arkansas 8 point with a compound

November 14th I killed a nice KS buck with my recurve

The recurve hunt was 1000000 times more enjoyable .. I doubt I'll ever go back to compounds

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©