Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Clickers. Who uses one?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Clickers. Who uses one?
« on: January 02, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
I'm new to bowhunting and saw that a clicker helps with you learn proper draw and release. Are they useful? Who here uses them?
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clickers. Who uses one?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Yes, they are very helpful, especially for dealing with target panic.

Offline BigCnyn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
I use one on my hunting bow, and my target bow.
It is a way for me to complete my shot. Set my hand, draw, aim, expand, click its gone..

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
They are an excellent learning tool and some like Cnyn use them while hunting. Very good for preventing creep or letting you know that you are over-bowed.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Anchor point is a good start but I do sometimes feel I should keep pulling or I'll draw and then draw again until anchored, rather than one fluid pull and release.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
A clicker used right will help with a ton of problems and will help build perfect form.

i used one for a long time.I used the clickety click model. I made it quiet,so it doesn't click,but you can feel it in the handle when it clicks.

it was the best thing I ever did for my shooting.   :campfire:

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
A couple years ago I became really frustrated   :knothead:  with target panic and all those "guarantees" to cure it were worthless for me.  The clicker has made archery fun once again and I use them on all my bows for both hunting and target use.   :thumbsup:  

By the way, I have experimented drawing on close range deer and have found that the audible "click" (even without silencing) does not alert the animals.
Lon Scott

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
A couple years ago I became really frustrated with target panic and those "guarantees" to cure were worthless for me.  The clicker has made archery fun once again and use them on all my bows for both hunting and target use.
#1..   :campfire:

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
I used one to fix a roving draw lenght. It worked fine, when i solved the peoblem i stopped using it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
It worked great to make me use proper form (get to my full draw) after having a bow blow up on me.  Don't use it now, but the mount is still on the bow in case I fall again.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
I used to use them on all my bows, but after a while I found that I had established a consistent draw length and could hold at full draw without target panic, so I removed them from all but one bow.  I still keep one on my 65# bow, which is a bit overbowed for me, but I like to shoot it from time to time to build up my strength, and the clicker keeps me honest.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
How do these things work guys? are they easy to set up and remove from a bow? I'm thinking that might be a great  tool for changing your anchor point.....or teaching someone to estabish a good anchor point....how bout it guys?   Kirk

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
They just stick on your limb and are adjustable to your string.  They are cheap and (I believe) the best thing I have found to solve what ails you in your shooting.  Easy to get on and off.  I don't use them during hunting season but based on what Blackhawk said -I may start.  Three Rivers has a few but I like the Crick-It...about 14 bucks and worth it!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
I have a built in clicker, in my right shoulder.  Way too many hours of shooting way too many arrows out of way too heavy bows.

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
I think "clickers" are one of the most over looked tool there is when it comes to correcting form. They really help you replace a very bad habit with a good one. After using it for a while you really won't even notice the click because you have retrained your brain.
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
I use one on all my bows. And as stated above they help me a lot. They made shooting fun again and cured my target panic. They are a great tool. Also they can be quieted for hunting.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by laddy:
I have a built in clicker, in my right shoulder.  Way too many hours of shooting way too many arrows out of way too heavy bows.
I like it bro! LOL  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Here's a Klickety Klicker on a recurve.  It sticks on the limb without causing damage, and is easily removed.  

I took off the piece of chain and use only the cord which is placed between the strings and can be adjusted.

Lon Scott

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
Ron Pittsley from Predator bows developed and sells the "Crick-it" draw check. Although I've never used one, I have dealt with Ron on a couple of bow purchases and you won't find a nicer guy to work with. Not only is Ron an knowledgeable, outstanding archer/bowhunter, he's a superb bowyer. The last Predator I bought from him has all but cured me of my Widow addiction!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
Kirk

A clicker is used to establish a consistent draw length, so is probably a good way to establish an anchor point.  Another benefit is that it will warn you if you're not pushing with your bow arm or if your bow shoulder collapses, since you will find yourself drawing past your anchor point with no click.

They are easy to set up and remove from the bow.  You should set brace height before fastening on the clicker string, as twisting the bowstring would mess that up.  Pay attention to the knot recommended in the clicker instructions, as the clicker string can get fouled around the bowstring and using their knot helps prevent that.

If you want controversy, just ask people whether to put the clicker closer to the top or the bottom of the limbs.  Everyone has their own opinion on that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©