Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Clickers. Who uses one?  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clickers. Who uses one?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Things are getting better. do you shoot when it clicks or pause before you shoot. when I put mine on I wonted to flench when it went off. so I got right at the target shot some. just pull it back and click it sometimes then let down. it is coming along tho.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Anybody have a spare they do not want anymore?
I would like to try one out.

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Are they difficult to adjust?  Way up there on the limb it seems like a tiny cord adjustment makes a big draw length difference.

I want to try one - any comments on my question?

Thanks for the thread!!!
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
They are not hard to adjust at all. it has a little chain on it you can move it one notch at a time. put them down on the limb at the wedge not on the working part of the limb.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
I've trained with a clicker for a lot of years. A clicker was first designed as a draw check, but soon developed into much more. Most use the clicker as a tool to force himself to pull through the shot to conclusion and as a trigger to relax the fingers to effect let go.

One hint in setting up a clicker for optimum use is to get someone to help! Have them watch for the click and perfect alignment to occur at the same time...once you have the clicker set, don't adjust it the first time(and it will) the clicker won't go off...instead look for what have changed in your form or shot sequence.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
I have used a clicker for a couple years now and have found that it has greatly improved my shot. It alows you to concentrate on the spot where you are aiming without having to worry about getting to full draw.

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Do you guys have these set so you barely move off your anchor when it clicks? Im trying to understand how it helps accuracy when you get to anchor and then you continue to draw, effectively loosing your anchor. I must be missing something, although I want to try one real bad. If you short draw, you really dont know it till you pull thru and it doesnt click right? I recently watched a video where the guy had one and in the excitement of the hunt, he drew past anchor, dam thing clicked and he loosed the arrow and missed totally. Guess thats the only negative I see to training yourself to release at the click, as opposed to making it click at anchor, then concentrating and loosing subcontiously.
Ken
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
I was shooting terrible when I first started. Most of the time I was very inconsistant, and had no confidence in my ability to kill an animal. It was very hard if not impossible to put down my compound which I was very proficient with. I shoot Hummingbird bows and am friends with Ben Graham. I called him and we ended  up shooting together at his house one Sat. Ben installed a clicker on my bow and I shot it for several months, it helped me develope a consistant anchor point. My shooting improved dramatically and stayed there after I took it off. If you use one I think it will help. Good luck. LCH

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
I shoot a bow well.......but only with a clicker!!!!!! I suffer from target panic and cannot shoot without one.

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
I ordered a clickety click model and have been shooting it for a week and a half or so every day. I use it as a draw check, meaning I draw till it clicks, then anchor, then aim and release. I dont know if it was from reading how people use them or what, but I started to develope a problem where I was letting go when I heard the click. I can say it has helped my shooting considerably, cause if your not drawing to the same length EVERY time, your not going to shoot consistently. Im also experienced the flinch when it would click, but am past that now. I have mine on the upper portion of the limb(working area for sure). It keeps my string short, about 11" or so. I also cut all but 4 of the steel balls off the thing. Even with those balls, its a bit noisy upon release. Until I have a lot of time with it, Im not going to give up that little bit of adjustment just yet. I also used .021 serving string to connect the chain to my string. This was due to cutting the original one too short the first time. 8^) What I noticed is if you tie on even with it, the swivel can actually hang up on the clicker. So far the small serving string is performing flawlesly. I cannot use it as mentioned by some. I find if I stop my draw cycle even 1/2" short and then focus on the target and try to draw till I hear the click, its like Im pulling against a wall. My bow arm starts to shake real bad and I end up loosing the string. Could be over bowed, or could be the result of the bow stacking.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
Kenn1320, try taking a breath and holding it as you draw. This should help you pull through the clicker, and use it as it was designed.

However, if what you are doing is working for you...by all means keep it up!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Unlike most who use the clicker, I use one to keep from drawing too far.  I had the problem of drawing/expanding past good alignment before releasing, causing the string to slap my cheek/lip.  Rather then using a friend as Rod suggested, I used a camera to determine where my best alignment was: the camera doesn't lie.   :p   My draw length shortened from 29 ½” to 28 7/8”.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Walt, that is another benefit that I see from the clicker. If I take mine off, I can easily draw another 1/2".....but that gets my alignment off and I start whacking the end of my nose with the bowstring.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
I've used one for about a year now and I'm very pleased with how it's helped me with target panic. It also has shown me how inconsistent my draw length can be at times.

I tossed the bead chain and use about an inch wrapping of centre-serving on the bowstring to lock down the little pull cord. I left a short tag end on the cord to help in adjusting the "click-point".

I aim while drawing and loose when I hear the click, no more TP for me! It's been a godsend and I highly recommend a clicker.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
Very intersting subject !!

There is two differents models on 3Rivers

any difference between them ???

Thank you

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Intersting thread folks,  knew nothing about a clicker until reading this. One question i have that Ive not seen addressed : After using a clicker for a while, and learning to shoot with one, is it difficult to transition to shooting without one ? Or do most folks continue to use one after learning to shoot with one ? Hope that makes a little since. Thanks
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I shoot without a clicker while hunting animals from the ground; the clicker string tangles in brush/grass, bends, and then breaks the clicker steel (Does anybody know where to get just the spring steel that creates the click?).  I found that If you use the click as your release signal it can be difficult to readjust to shooting without one.  For me, I use it as a draw check, to prevent me from overdrawing the arrow.  When the click happens it initiates my commitment to the shot and begins the expansion phase of the shot sequence not as a signal to release the arrow.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Walt, do you have the Clickety Klick or the Crick-it? I have the phone # for the guy who makes the Clickety Klick. I just bought several of the spring steel parts from him a couple months ago.

I'm really interested in how you use your's. I may give it a try....after hunting season

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
Allen, I use the Crick-it but the spring steel pieces might be interchangeable.

The shooting method I am using is a combination of what I learned from Rod Jenkins at his clinic, Larry Yien in the Masters of the Barebow III CD, and Rick Welch’s second CD, coupled with a clicker.  However, I haven't put a clicker back on my hunting bow since shifting my hunting from elk to whitetails last week.  I just make sure to work on my form at for 5-20 arrows every day.  

Send me a PM if and when you want to discuss how I use the clicker.

Walt Francis

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
Walt here is the phone # for the Clickety Klick guy. You will probably get an answering machine, just leave a message, and he will call you back. Sounds like one older man that just builds them in his basement.   717-664-2327

The Crick-it is made by the guy who makes Predator bows, you should be able to get parts through him.

I am definately going to try your method of shooting the clicker. I have been shooting one for 17 years, and shoot really well. My main struggle is getting the draw length JUST right, so everything feels right during the shot. When I have it right, I feel like I can't miss.

I'm always open to trying new things though!

Oh yeah, the LW climbing sticks are great!

Allen

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©