Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shooting in the dark  (Read 1833 times)

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting in the dark
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
I've been thinking about this nonstop since we talked about it.

I basically did what you recommended.  The target was barely lit and I couldn't see my bow at all.  Check out page one for my results.  I'm going to have to do some more research on this one.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 01:38:00 AM »
the only thing i see wrong with shooting in the dark is if you have problems shooting in the day light cuse of whatever reason, when you shoot in the dark you get rid of said problems, now my question is how many people hunt in the pitch black and wht time of the year is laser dot season, this isnt a bash i just see it creating more problems than good am i wrong in my thinking
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 02:29:00 AM »
Wow ive been shooting in the dark for years, I never realized that others did it, lol   A few years back when it started to get dark I kept shooting and notice my groups tighten up.   I started to shoot in the dark working on my form.  then I started to put a flashlight out on the target and shoot, then went to a lazer light pointer.  Ive been doing this for years, I shoot in the dark alot, It helped me work on my form, (I think) and make it so I dont look at a referance point when shooting.  I never told anyone cause I would have thought me NUTS lol

Just make sure you bring in the cats and dogs my cats likes to jump in front of my target and chase the arrows.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
I shoot in the darkness of night with a dimly lit aiming point as a method to aid concentration and to reinforce motor memory. This technique sort of acts like a blinder, washing out nearly everything into darkness around my visible aiming point. Doing so out of doors on a 3D target or with a candle gives me just enough 3-dimensional feedback to range the target while giving me enough darkness to test and practice my balance, motion, and form as if my eyes were closed. I'll go through the entire shot process to include drawing a broadhead tipped hunting arrow from my backquiver and nocking it onto my bow string in one smooth motion without taking my focus off of the aiming point. I find that doing so greatly improves my hand and eye coordination as well as my balance. Using a laser point on a wall in complete darkness will create a 2-dimensional shooting environment which may eliminate your ability to range the target. I'd be concerned this may cause more motor memory harm than any good you may see.

I feel such regular practice aids my ability to concentrate on a small aiming point while managing myself and my bow with minimal conscious reference outside of the intended point of impact. I'll usually spot those who do not practice this technique when we shoot candles for sport at camp. As soon as they begin to lose visible reference outside of the aiming point from the darkness, their form and balance goes out the window along w/ their accuracy. I've seen some very coordinated people turn into all thumbs with two left feet as soon as they lose visible reference points beyond that of the target. I guess it is along the lines of learning to field strip your weapon while blindfolded which improves your ability to do so when you can see.

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I just read Kidwell's post on page one:

"I'm a big believer in visualizing the arrows flight. I couldn't do that since it was dark between me and the target."

I use a white nock and high back feathers to aid my ability to observe arrow impact on game. Though I hunt with heavy arrows from a straight end longbow where my arrow travels at fairly normal speeds, at times it is very difficult to pick out my arrow at all when shooting on game in low light. I find that the practice I described above when added to regular daylight practice, aids my ability to call my shot much like a rifleman calls his shot from a centerfire rifle with a good amount of accuracy. I make it a habit of calling my shot when practicing in darkness even if my shots are only left, right, high, or low within the vitals and/ or bull.

This single aspect alone would be difficult to practice and develop as a skill without such low light practice.

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Maybe J-KID has a good point about useing a lazer light, you rods dont pick-up the red light.  Maybe im better off just useing a flashlight.  I was also thinking of maybe useing those UV stickers, like the ones they sell for kids to hang in there room.  Set up a Black light so the sticker would glow and shoot at that maybe this would work.  Ill have to give it a try.

Offline Lone archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
What about those glow in the dark things they sell. The ones your kids put in the freezer so they last. Stick it straight in to your back stop so only the end glowing end is showing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©