Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How do you practice?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you practice?
« on: December 25, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
I have not been practicing archery long. Still I can see that some of my field shots have been from kneeling and almost from a sitting position or just plain abnormal by peering on around the edge of some brush or cover.

Due to that I have been starting to practice many kneeling shots and from a sitting position. Lucky enough my practice location also allows me to shoot from up on embankments down to a target for downhill practice as well as behind the edge of a blackberry bush.

I have to wonder how much everyone else practices shooting from different positions and what they think about how much it will improve their overall effectiveness.

There just is no substitute for the field as I know wind conditions cannot be mimmicked as well as every single shooting angle. I have been to a couple of 3-D shoots which have improved my skills to a degree as well.

I guess when I first picked up a bow the thought never materialized to me that reality was far from a standing shot looking right at the critter who was waiting for my arrow to pierce it's lungs. Hunting could rarely be so simple for me. I don't really have anyone else I practice archery with so just throwing it out there on the web is fine with me.

I know some people have told me they try to shoot left and right handed as well. I am not sure I would be very accurate about that just yet.

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you practice?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
delete double post

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Ray I practice every position imaginable, then try to think up other situations that may arise while hunting.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
I have fun walking away from my target and at random distances, turn and shoot as fast as I can, it's pretty suprising how good you get at it and being an instinctive style shooter it develops good instinctive skills.

Offline Marshrat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
I try to come up with all kind of new shots. One that helps in the woods is to take a wood saw horse then nail two 2x4s as uprights 8inchs apart set this between you and the target now thread your arrow over the horse and between the uprights. Then move it and or you to diff. distances makes you learn the arch of your arrows. It realy comes into play when you need to shoot through the only hole between you and your shot. Plus if you get some compoud shooters to shoot with it realy drives the crazy because the dont have enof arch shooting those speed demons.
At the rate this world is going Enjoy today for it is the good old days your Kids and Grandkids will hear about

Offline HAWGDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Stump shooting! If you see somthing you want to shoot at, shoot at it! If you miss, shoot again. You will soon figure out why you are missing and correct yourself.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
For me, I try not to practice too much.  What I mean by this, is that I try to practice as often as possible, but I do not shoot too many arrows, and I never shoot groups.  I shoot about 20 or so quality shots and then hang it up.  I may go back an hour or so later and shoot 20 more, but anything over that in a single shooting session is normally too much for me.  I lose my concentration.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Make sure you practice shooting under limbs.  You'd be shocked how much an arrow rises at 25 yards and would catch a limb and deflect.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Keystone Cowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
My favorite way to practice is to get a couple of old balls (basketballs to baseballs) and throw them around the property (2 acres) and shoot from where ever the arrow stops, sometimes as close as a few yards and other times as far as 40 or 50 yards. It's never the same any two shots.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
First thing I like is close bale work say 7 yds 1 or 2 arrows no more , dont care where in the target the arrow hits...ur goin for form..after that still 2 arrows 15...few shot good form ...18...20....25....27...practice picking a spot.....something small...pick a spot.. :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©