3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What can you tell me about the Bear Montana Long Bow  (Read 326 times)

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
What can you tell me about the Bear Montana Long Bow
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
I've had my eye on this bow for some time.  I really like the way it looks, and from all reports I can find it's supposedly a "sweet shooter".  I don't have a trad shop anywhere close to me  so the  only  way I can  put my hands on one is to order it, so I'm looking for input.  

Anyway, I like the reflex deflex design.  Does it really control hand shock?  How quiet is the bow generally?  The martin x-200 I'm now shooting is cut past center and 45# at 28".  I'm shooting CE terminators with 200 grains up front.  If I go up 10# with the MLB can I likely use these same arrows (I was thinking of going with more weight because I can handle it, not just because I am a cheap $%*.  Using the same arrows would just be a bonus  :)  )

I am concerned about shooting it out of a pop up ground blind I recently purchased, the Ameristep Grizzly.  Anyone shooting it successfully out of this or any other blind?

I like the forward handle deflex design of the Shrews, etc.  Is the MLB like this?  What's the brace height?  Any problems with wrist slap?

Is the shelf radiused or crowned?  Is the high spot above the grip like it should be?  When shooting off the shelf how close is the shaft to your bow hand?

Any input is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance  :)
Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Offline five-oh

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What can you tell me about the Bear Montana Long Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
I have not shot one in a while, although I doubt they have changed.  I thought it was a nice shooting bow.  It is very clean looking bow, but not the prettiest out there.  I don't recall hand shock being an issue.  I'm not sure how much they go for now, but a few years ago, (the last time I shot a Montanna) I thought it was a fair priced bow, with decent performance.

I have shot a longbow out of an Ameristep, I think I have the Brickhouse, but can't remeber the model for sure.  You can do it, but it's pretty tight.

Hope that helps.
"Sic Vis Pacem Parabelium"
(If you want peace, prepare for war)

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 03:18:00 AM »
you can get a custom bow that is a lot smoother for the same price.(know from experince). Good luck.
j yenney

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
A new Montana runs around $285, not many customs available at that price.  I have a Montana, and I do like it.  It's not as fast as a recurve and not cut past center.  It's quiet, even for a longbow.  The handle is not set forward.  If you're looking for that design, try RER bows on the sponsor list and ask them about a stock Vortex.  The basic model is around $425 and if you have the money, buy it, it's a much better bow.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
I'm using one to chase whitetails from the ground. I don't use a commercial blind so can't comment, but I'm using it in some pretty brushy country, and canting the bow is no problem.
I haven't needed to use an armguard with this bow, but that could be my shooting style rather than specific to the bow. I have found the bow to be forgiving when shooting different arrow types/weights. There is no hand shock that I have noticed, and the bow is very quiet. The shelf is crowned, and the arrow is very close to your hand. I haven't been shooting for a few years, and when I got this bow, I thought it would be a while before I could hit the broad side of a barn, but everything came back quickly. Don't know if that is because of the bow, or if muscle memory was still active after several years of no bow shooting; maybe a little of both. Anyhow, I think Bear is making a lot of bow for the money.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Nice bow. I just sold one good as new for $220. They are out there.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Robinofdahood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
Hey Rangeball.  I bought one about nine or ten years ago for less than $200 at Bowhunter's Warehouse(gone) and it's what I'm still shooting.  Before that I had Bear recurves and was amazed at how much more pointable the Montanna was IMHO.  I'm not much of a hunter but am getting back into target shooting after a few years off and picking the Montanna back up was like riding a bike.  I really like it.  That being said, I'm currently shopping around for a new more custom longbow but am going to have to pay more than the $200 I spent on the Bear so I guess you could say I'm kind of outgrowning it.  Its a great bow for the money IMHO, after I get my new one it'll go into the Bear collection, shoots well enough for me, and has lasted nearly ten years so far so I'd say I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.
-Dave
So long as the new moon returns in heaven, a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of Archery keep hold of the hearts of men.  -Thompson

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments fellas  :)
Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©