Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Glasses and your anchor?  (Read 945 times)

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
Glasses and your anchor?
« on: December 28, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
I switched back to traditional this past spring and have been lurking and learning new things on this "Great Forum"

With my aging eyes I can't shoot anymore without my glasses. I have been shooting three fingers under. I have been playing around with different anchors and am still trying to refine it so it is consistent and repeatable. I have been placing the knuckle of my thumb behind my jaw just below my earlobe with the cock fletch touching my nose and my middle finger coming along my face close to the corner of my mouth.

With these multiple anchors the sting will be pushing against the lens of my glasses. I have tried several variations of this. It seems to work fairly well for me, except for the string pushes against my glasses and I sometimes seem to lose my  concentration and focus on the spot I am looking at. I also have tried slight variations in draw length ( I have been drawing to 28 1/4") to see if my alignment is better but I can't seem to increase my draw any farther or I am push my glasses off my nose and/or I start hitting my nose with the string.

I guess I am just looking for eyeglass wearers that can offer any ideas or experiences that they can share with me?
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glasses and your anchor?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
First, I am not being sarcastic.  This is what worked for me: Lasik surgery.  I didn't need the glasses anymore, no more fogged, dirty, mis-aligned, or water spots to alter/hinder my sight picture.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
I shoot with glasses.  I use split fingers.  The tip of my index finger touches the corner of my mouth and my bottom thumb joint touches the back of my cheek bone.

Not sure what to say with a 3 under draw.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
Thanks Walt,

Lasik is not an option for me! I had an eye injury about 10yrs ago that makes that not one of the options.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.

Offline Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
I shoot three under and have to use glasses. I anchor index finger to corner of my mouth and thumb nuckle behind my jaw bone. I do not have any problems. My glasses are what I would call normal size, but perhaps if your frames were more narrow that would help.

Offline dallas dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
hi Kevin. I shoot with glasses when i am not wearing my contacts. i do not change anything. I shoot split with my top finger under my right nostril. I make sure I have good back tension and draw elbow square.....I am knew to trad and figuring it out. I have great support in the first post already. these guys are great and know there stuff. Good luck.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Thanks for everyones input! I was using a mirror to look into while at full draw and anchored to see anything I was doing wrong.

Bradd, I believe your right! Consistency is the most important part.

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
Kevin:
The mirror is a good idea. It may help to hold your head back and your chin up a bit. - lbg

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
I do not need to wear glasses, but I have hawkeye 20/15 vision when I do. I've spent much of my hunting years bushwacking in wilderness areas and I've learned the importance of having eye protection regardless of needing prescription lenses.

From my years of shooting service rifle competition, I was introduced to Randolph Rangers as being an outstanding choice for prescription lenses for anyone involved in shooting sports and the outdoors. The Randolph Rangers have served me well by giving me an unrestricted full range of vision without any interference while shooting stickbows. I give them no added thought when outdoors with the single exception that I need to use normal precaustions to avoid any fogging under certain conditions. Even if I had 20/15 vision without glasses, I'd probably wear my Randolph Rangers while bushwacking to avoid eye injury. It may be a good idea to wear them when just shooting targets as I've had arrows come apart at loose w/ the business end of the shaft coming back around into my face.

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Good advise, Daddy Bear!

I won't go into detail on how I injured my eye.....But I know that if I had been wearing some type of eye protection, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I re-fletched some arrows with 4 fletch and have the top fletch positioned to touch my nose when I come to my normal anchor. It seems to be helping me keep my head in the proper position.
One of the reasons I decided to go back to traditional, was I have a blind spot in my dominate eye and when I shoot sights the sight pin disapears in the blind spot. When I shoot instinctive/Gap/Split Vision or whatever you call your style, I don't have to worry about any pins.

Offline LONGBOWKID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
I shoot three under and anchor with my index finger in the corner of my mouth and the string presses against my glasses lens every time, moving it and making me lose concentration. So when shooting at 3-d tournaments, or hunting, I use my contacts.
Turkey Creek Longbows
60" 46#@29"
62" 51@29"
62" 61#@29"
62" 77#@29"

Holm-Made Osprey
60" 67#@29"

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Just an update on my progress. I have been trying several different things over the last few weeks.
I fletched up some 4 fletch shafts over the weekend and positioned the nocks so the top fletch was contacting my nose as a third reference point. I positioned the fletchings on the shaft so that my nose touches and the string is just missing my glasses. It seems to be working for me right now? But you know how archers are! I might decide different next week?

LOL

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Have always worn glasses (since age 8). Shoot split finger, middle finger at incisor tooth for a marker. I had trouble for a while but then I realised my glasses frames were too big--smaller frames and it's no problems!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I just came upon the thread. . . it may be too late to join in. . . The fletch idea is similar to my suggestion:  

Have you thought about using a clicker just to help train you?  

That way you can set your draw length and modify your anchor to work with your glasses, meanwhile always maintaining your true draw length.  One less thing to thnk about!

Once you get it dialed in and the anchor feels consistent you could remove the clicker if you do not need  it.

Just an idea. .  good shooting.

2c from KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
KSdan, I do have a clicker on the shelf somewhere. I had thought about digging it out and trying that, now that you gave me a nug I think I'll put it on and give it a try.

Thanks,
Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©