Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Anyone seen my back tension?  (Read 749 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone seen my back tension?
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Just can't seem to find it!

I have read a few posts lately where back tension was the main topic and would like some help finding mine.
If I imagine a rope pulling on the point of my drawing arm elbow at full draw(as suggested by some) I find that I "feel" like my shoulder blades are moving further apart. Is this the correct feeling, or should I be feeling (also suggested by some) that my shoulder blades are being squeezed together?

Red Dwarf

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone seen my back tension?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
I have a hard time with back tension too. For me it doesn't feel like they are being squeezed together,but I can definatly feel that the muscle behind my shoulder blade(string arm) is engaged at full draw. I have to do blind bale shooting now and then to keep my BT working.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Take an arrowplace both hands on the center, side by side..raise above your nose, then try t pull the arrow apart...notice the tighness in the center of your upper back? Thats the tension you should feel when shooting.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
Red Dwarf,

Rod gives great advice. What he said and I'll add if you're trying to find back tension with a bow that's too heavy good luck with that! Use Rod's method then translate it to a bow that you can get the same feeling. For what it's worth this advice comes from personal experience and 20 years of shooting without back tension.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Bradd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Here is another way to find your 'natural' anchor point first, then we can move over to back/lateral tensions.

Stand comfortably, face forward, arms stretched out to the side, eyes closed.  With NO influence, simply bend your draw arm in and allow the index finger to touch the face.  This is the natural 'touch' point and don't be surprised if it's not where you 'think' you should anchor...like he corner of the mouth...because the elbow will 'naturally' be lower.

Now on to back muscles as taught to me years ago.

Deep hook with finger tips pointing backwards and string in the first joint or on the pad between the first and second joint. Use the fingers only as a 'hook' around the string and draw with the back muscles, allowing the elbow to follow in line with the shoulder (feels like it is behind the head).  Back of hand, wrist, forearm and shoulder MUST stay relaxed...concentrate on this during the draw.  To do this, when you draw, pretend that there is a small hump in front of the riser that you have to get up and over before your forearm can rest on it.   As you do it, push the bow arm straight out BUT make sure your bow shoulder comes DOWN and the bow back and lat muscles lock into place (rock solid).  Lock the draw arm back AND lat muscles in place, lock web of draw hand around the back of the jaw and make sure that the index finger is touching your 'natural' point on the face. The web/jaw is the bone on bone true anchor.  At anchor, about 80% of the pressure on the middle finger, 20% on the index...no pressure on the third finger...just rest it there or take it off.  Now both back/lat muscles are in full play and locked.  The bow should stay up and loaded with thought so now it's time to let go of all the tensions you didn't think you had...relax the arms and let the wedge pressure of the bow be held by the tension of the back/lat muscles...no arm involvement...no shoulder involvements...no neck tension...no tension of any kind other than the back/lat muscles locked.

To release, simply squeeze the back muscles tighter while relaxing the fingers. The string should 'kick' the fingers out of the way and the hand will 'fall' back naturally...no need to pull or make the hand come back unnaturally. The shot should come as a surprise (no anticipation of when or how) while concentration on the back muscles being squeezed together.

There is one very common mistake that permeates the sites and that is the concept of 'pulling' through the shot.  Most people think it is a conscious effort, using the arm....flinging or pulling it back upon release...IE trying to touch the shoulder...wrong..wrong...wrong.  

If everything is relaxed properly, and the tension is in the back/lateral muscles properly, there is no need for anything conscious.  It will all happen naturally.  

Anything at release (other that back muscle squeeze) adds a value of probable error to the shot.  

However, in saying this, and knowing everyone
has their own 'way', sometimes something done
incorrectly can be semi-perfected to
consistency...it becomes their 'right'.
B.B.
DAS Elite 33lbs@27"
Martin Vision Longbow 33lbs@27"
KAP T-Rex - Winstorm Limbs

Aim for Center of Center!

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
Red, when I'm at anchor I try to squeeze my shoulders together without drawing my string- hand back any farther. This results in a motion like trying to meet one's elbows together in back of them. When all's well & fluid, my drawing hand snaps back after the loose. The arrow lets go of me rather than I let go of the arrow...  :saywhat:  

A big help was to shoot close at a target stop so that I could focus on form only and not be concerned about aiming. It's a twitchy bugger, to  think  about doing something when you really don't want to think about what you're doing    :)
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©