3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: dan quillians bamboo longhunter  (Read 279 times)

Offline jimbob91

• Trad Bowhunter
dan quillians bamboo longhunter
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
is there any way i can lighten the poundage on this bow without ruining it ? its 66#@28"i havent shot it in quite awhile,ive had it for years and loved it no shock quiet and fast,but for the last 5yrs ive been shooting a 53#selfbow made by a good friend of mine.i draw 29" so needless to say i was beat up after a day shooting the quillian.i dont want to ruin this bow but i also dont need that kind of poundage.believe me its like bending a truck spring!
Live your life today like your going to meet God tommorrow!You just might!****GO VIKES****

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: dan quillians bamboo longhunter
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Don't know about lowering the weight, but if you ever decide to part with it, let me know.     :wavey:
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Jim,  There are a few ways to lighten a bow's poundage.  You just got to make sure you get it tillered back in.  You can make the limbs more narrow, but I wouldn't do that first.  You can take quite a bit of weight off by sanding the corners of the belly from the fade-outs to the tips.  Sand on about a 45 degree angle from the glass on the belly to the belly side edges (if that makes any sense).  If you're careful you could probably take as much as 10 #'s.  Good luck.

Offline Scott Grella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
I don't know beans about bows but if you really like this bow as much as you say, then I would send it to an accomplished bowyer and pay them to reduce the weight.  They can probably take off 5 maybe even 10lbs but I would let a pro do it.  If you do it yourself and mess up, then you have a useless bow with no resale value at all.

Just my opinion.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Scott has it nailed. Rick Sanchez, who goes by droptine59 on this board is a bowyer, and he would be a good place to start. That bow is just too good to let someone ruin it.

Offline jimbob91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
thanks guys
Live your life today like your going to meet God tommorrow!You just might!****GO VIKES****

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
The Quillins bow is basically a rectangle cross section so if you have a horizontal belt sander you can sand the limbs into a trapazoid pretty easily...making the belly of the bow wider than the face. You could take 10 to 15 lbs off pretty fast. Then with hand sanding or a rasp re round all the edges....If you are careful and take material uniformly from side to side of each limb and the same from opposite limbs it's a done deal....if you screw it up you'll be re-tillering....which is not for a novice..but can be done with patience and a good understanding of what is happening when and where you remove material.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©