Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Fish tailing arrows  (Read 761 times)

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
Fish tailing arrows
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
I left the confinds of my basement and went to a 20 yard indoor range Sunday.  I noticed my arrows fish tailing.

They always stuck into the target straight though.  At 10, 15, and 20 yards.  (not always where I was aiming,  but straight none the less)

What causes fishtailing?

43# RER LX, uncut 32.5 Grizzly Sitkas 74 insert 145 field tips.

Thanks,

Boom Stick

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fish tailing arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »
If they are porpoising (up and down) it is the nock point- need to move it up.  If side to side it is incorrect arrow spine, or arrow shelf prob.- may want to add more radius to it.  All said it is likely an arrow spine prob.  You may be able to correct it, by using a heavier or lighter point.  If your arrows are long enough, you can increase stiffness by cutting an inch off.-- you can judiciously sand them to decrease stiffness. Best senerio is that they are just porpoising-easy fix- just change nocking pt. -usually upward a 1/4"

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
It's side to side.  It looked like the feathers went to the right (RH) in flight.  

I don't notice it at home,  but it's not far enough to notice.  It was only the 20 yard shots at the range I noticed it happening,  about half way to the target.

I'm trying really hard to work on form at home.  This weekend I'm going back to the range and see if it's still happening.

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
I havent noticed them hitting to the right or left of target consistantly yet.  I'm just starting to shoot again so sometimes they're high,  low,  left and right.   Sometimes they actually hit where I'm aiming.

The good thing is when they stick in the target,  they hit straight on.

I'm betting it is a release issue and that's pretty much all I'm working on now.  I just got my new Cavalier tab in yesterday and that should help out a lot as far as grabbing the string the same every time.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Have you shot any bare shafts yet. They should group with fletched arrows if spine is right.

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
No, haven't bare shafted yet.  I'll give it a try when I get some more arrows.  I'm only shooting with 6 right now and I haven't tried fletching feathers with a helical twist yet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©