Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: middle vs index anchor  (Read 668 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
middle vs index anchor
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I shoot 3 fingers under and have always anchored with my middle finger.  For hunting situations this has been great.  Problem is I get the crap kicked out of me at every 3D shoot.  I didn't realize what an issue I was causing myself until I starting shooting a 50# Jerry Hill longbow.  Much slower than my 60# Sovereign Ballistik recurve.  I kept running out of gas before I got to targets that were in the 40 yard plus range.  As a fix I worked on anchoring with my index finger and shot 40 yards most of the night.  Tremendous difference.  Has anyone else done something like this?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline seany916

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: middle vs index anchor
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
I've always anchored index to corner. Some guys'll change anchors/overdraw & anchor with thumb behind ear/facewalk/anchor with pinky to get the arrow tip where they want it.

I prefer to just stick with one anchor and start by memorizing the gaps (which over time become instinctive).  

Though this might explain why I keep losing arrows...

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
I am going to stick with one anchor.  It's just going to be my new one.  I shot my best today with it. 9 arrows in a 5" diameter circle from 30 yards.  With this Hill bow that's a feat for me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
For hunting I only use middle finger but for the longer shots in the "games" I will drop it down to the index finger to hit those 40 and 50 yarders.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Interesting! I just went the other way. I shoot 3 under too. But I went from index to middle finger in corner of mouth. This provided me to be able to put the fletching on my nose and my hand fits nicely on my checkbone. Really consistant. My groupings at 20yds are right at 3"-4". I think if I had some place to shoot out to 30yds. I may want to change back. But for the most part my shooting and hunting distances are under 25yds.  Still playing around with it at this point. But it seems to work for me.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©