Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting "Thumb Up"  (Read 829 times)

Offline CBH

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting "Thumb Up"
« on: January 16, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
I just saw an old article by Doug Walker about Fred Bear with several pictures of him shooting. He drew with his thumb up, and at full draw his thumb would touch his temple. I was trying this style today and I have to tell you that I was shooting better when I did it!!    :archer:  
 Do any of you guys shoot this style?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting "Thumb Up"
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
I tuck it in under my cheekbone.  Fits nicely there.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Howzit Chris,

I too shoot this way. I have chipmunk cheeks and find that if my thumb is up, the arrow aligns better with the eye. I shoot three under and find that "for me" it is more consistant. I don't sight down the shaft but think that subconciouly I gap. When it feels right, arrow is set loose.

Sometimes I get strange looks from other archers on my form/anchor but I figga what da hell, it works so I'll stay with it.

Aloha,

Mark

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I once knew a fellow that shot that way and he was a very good shot.  But, folks are built differently and sometimes the face and/or wrist structure doesn't allow that kind of hold.  It also may prevent getting a deep hook on the string or tighten the drawhand muscles, which for most shooters is not a good thing.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Facial structure means a lot.  Also go through shooting with some kind of winter glove that adds thickness to your thumb.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I hold thumb over little finger.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
My thumb rides parallel to my forefinger along the top edge of my hand- its neither tucked nor extended straight up. I have very high cheekbones and one of my anchor points ( besides the middle finger behind the corner of my mouth) is the ridge behind my cheekbone between my eye and ear. It probably serves more or less the same purpose as Terry Green's method of locking his folded thumb behind a point on his jawbone. I doubt that the position of the thumb would make a whole lot of difference so long as it made your shots repeatable (consistent)and it didn't create tension in the drawing hand. I've seen some awfully good shooters with their thumbs pointing straight up between the eye and ear but I've seen more with the thumb tucked out of sight.                          Grant

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
I've always shot with it tucked in. I have tried thumbs up, but it created a lot of tension in my hand. Release suffered as a result...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
I have huge mitts and could never attempt thumbs up, my sausages would barely wrap around the string. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©