Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Can gap shooting help overcome target panic?????  (Read 669 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Can gap shooting help overcome target panic?????
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
Do you think that deliberately aiming (as in gap shooting) can help you overcome target panic?????
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can gap shooting help overcome target panic?????
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
Over the years I have always shot "instinctive" I focus on a spot,draw,anchor and release.....

Several years ago I developed a SEVERE case of target panic. I just can't seem to consistantly hit my anchor point,I short draw,premature release,you name it!!!!!I had even gotten to the point where I would NOT shoot with other people around. A few years ago I switched from split finger anchoring with my index finger at the corner of my mouth,to 3-under with my index finger at the corner of my mouth. Last summer I moved my anchor point higher on my face.(Middle finger at the corner of my mouth) All of these things have helped to some extent. However, lately I have started "gun-barreling" sighting down my arrow and deliberately "aiming" at my spot. My shooting has improved GREATLY!!!!! I seem to take my time and be more focused on the target.

Do you folks think I've beaten the "panic" or is it only a short term fix?????
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Have you beaten it?  Only you can answer that one.  In the end, you'll know when you can draw on your mark, hold, and let down without the axiety/anticpation/jitters, or whatever you want to call it.  

I'd suggest adding a draw/anchor/let down regemin to your practice session just to help keep the stuff at bay.

Good Luck to you.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Since target panic is mental, I suppose anything could result in a temporary fix.  Do you think that clipping a clothes-pin on your ear can help you overcome target panic?  Maybe.... But the cause stays the same: your brain is telling your fingers to release the bow before you're ready to.  You have to retrain your brain to pull back the bow and hold it.  Pull back the bow and hold it three seconds and let it back down without shooting it.  Do that a number of times.  Pull back the bow and hold it three seconds and fire it into a blind bale without worrying about where it hits.  Do that a number of times.  Eventually, pull back the bow and hold it three seconds and fire it at a target.  Start with a close target, so you can make the three second hold the most important part of the shot.  When you think you've mastered it, go back to your normal shooting, but when you occasionally rush a shot, make sure the next shot you hold for the full three seconds.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©