Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: long distance practice session  (Read 946 times)

Offline Pruneemac

• Trad Bowhunter
long distance practice session
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
So yesterday we went to a friends farm and tried some long distance practice. We started at 50 yds and worked our way out to 400 with both long and compound bows. We had a little cross wind that really started to come into play from 100 yds on. I actually hit the target at 100 yds with my LB.
Im shooting 50# and my max range was just under 200 yds. Compounds we could get close at 300 but couldnt get there at 400. We are going to practice more at 50-75 with the LB's, then move in to 35 after about 20 arrows and see what happens.

to be cont...

Offline cliff77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: long distance practice session
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
The longest I can go with any accuracy is 80yds. I've tried 100 but usually miss the whole bale. Its all about having fun for me, my serious practice is no more than 30. The longer shots seem to make the closer ones easier to group, as any form issues show  up fast at distance.
Genesis 27:3
Elite 60#

Offline pete Darby @ home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
If you look at a lot of the literature from the last century and the first half of this century, they seem to have considered 50 yards as the bench mark.  I think your last sentence says it all. To me only learning to shoot 20yds and closer is  like owning a sports car and never driving on the twisty roads, only straight aways.  They might be enjoying it but not anything like the person who can really make the car perform.
Peter Darby

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
long distance practice is good fun and good for your shooting, i recall reading and interview with Paul Schafer and he said something along the lines of...

found it;

"Practicing at longer ranges- 50 yards or more - gives me time to visualize and learn the arrows flight. It also magnifies any mistakes and helps me concentrate on form...Then when i move in to where i will and should be shooting at game, it feels so close that i can't miss. If there's one 'secret' to my consistent success shooting at game animals, that's it."  
Paul Schafer

Can't argue with that.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
We would shoot the NFAA field archery courses and the longest was 80 yards.  I did it with a 35# Bear Tamerlane regularly, no sights either.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
I 100% agree with practicing longer than hunting distances- provided you can make the required adjustments to hit where you want when the distance is shorter.

I shot at a muskrat the other day, was really excited at the prospect of my first trad bow harvest.  Problem was, the shot was 10ft.  I missed that forehead by half an inch, and he swam up under some ice and out of my life.  I had never practiced that close, and did not compensate adequately for the short distance.

Best,
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
How do you keep from losing arrows or killing someone? I don't really know how far to set back to make sure I don't reach the road. From one useable end of the lot to the other is about 600 feet. I can shoot from the road but that goes toward the house which backs up to a wooded gully or from the gully toward the road. One end is losing arrows the other is hitting the road cars people dogs, etc.
How did you guys with less than unlimited land set up a range?
thanks
sam

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
The longest I have ever shot is about 100 yards, w/ compounds.  We used to shoot 80 yards in field competition, but I've never even imagined shooting at 200 yards with a bow!  That's pretty neat.  I'd guess that windage would be a serious problem, especially w/ feathers, at those ranges.  Heck, it's a problem at 50 yards!  I think it's great to practice long; makes the 20 yarders seem so much easier.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
If you've got the room for it, try out clout shooting.  Replicates the English showering arrows on the French at long distance
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline GangStarr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
yes shooting looooonng is fun
just as fun as flying targets

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
nfaa targets go to 80 yrds always fun
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 04:29:00 AM »
I shoot a lot of Longbow IFAA Field (also shoot IFAA\\Fita 3D) so 80 yards is normal for me and do practice out to 100 yards to make the 70 and 80 feel easier, I'm faily consistent out to these distances i.e I hit a lot more than I miss.

Shot my 50# Saluki Turk 350 yards this summer with normal 450g Field arrow, I was impressed that it went that far.

It's FUN to shoot long distances, even if you dont always hit. :-)

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 06:53:00 AM »
I practice serveral times a week out to 50-60 yards, this has probably helped my accuracy more than any one thing that I can think of. I would feel comfortable shooting at deer,under the right circumstances, out to 35 +/- yds.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I love shooting at 40 to 50 yards and the reference above about magnifying mistakes is correct. It will also tell you how well your tuning is, specialy with broadheads. You do have to have a safe place to shoot though and Im fortunate to have enough land for that kind of practice.
SL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©