Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hitting Left  (Read 1785 times)

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hitting Left
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
I consistantly hit to the left, now matter what distance I shot at. The farhter I am from the target, the more left my arrow hits. I have messed around with spines, made no difference. I have messed around with different strike plates and that seemed to make no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

In case it helps, I am shooting 53#@28, but draw to about 27 3/4". I am shooting 30" CX Heritage 150s with 125 tips. My strike plate is either Velcro or Carpet. I shoot three under.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hitting Left
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Could be two things. I shoot CX 150  53# @ 25"  My arrows are 29" long, I have a 100 grain insert up front and a 125 grain tip. I needed that 100 grain insert to get them to tune correctly.  Or it could possibly be your alignment, it should be like Terry's clock shows, if your shoulders are angled slightly left that could be causing it also. Not sure if that helps. Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Is your bow a take down by chance?  I have a take down and one of the limbs was just a tiny bit askew and it did the same thing.  I realinigned the limb and it shoots fine now.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Another thing that could cause misses to the left is shooting with a straight bow arm, which can cause your bow hand to recoil to the left on release.  Shooting with a slightly bent bow arm encourages the bow hand to recoil forward.  You should be able to tell if this might be the problem by watching what your bow hand does on release.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline longbow1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
It could also be caused by a collapsing anchor upon release. And string torque.
PBS ASSOCIATE MEMBER
NJ TRADITIONAL ARCHERS MEMBER

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
I will try to get my wife to take some photos of me shooting, or possibly a video for you guys to critique.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Video is the way to go.  If you forget about the camera and shoot as normal you will be suprised at what you might find out about your shooting style and form.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline PATGUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
MAYBE YOU NEED A THINNER STRIKER PLATE.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Like McDave said, If I lock my bow arm, I will shoot left regardless of distance. Ive often tried it just to increase my draw length, but it never fails upon release my bow arm moves left causing impact to the left.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Okay guys, here are some pics and videos, tear them apart. One thing I noticed is that my arm is fully or darn near fully extended. I also noticed my release does not look smooth in the videos. I think my release was alot smoother when I had a clicker on my bow, so I may put it back on.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
You are holding your bow with an open grip and are reflexively closing your fingers on the grip when you release.  This would not necessarily cause you to shoot to the left, but is a cause of errors.  Try holding your thumb and forefinger closed around the handle of the bow when you shoot, so you don't have to clench your fingers when you release.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Patrick McCormick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 04:21:00 AM »
aim right?
Catch and Release Wild Trout

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
seems like youre gripping the bow,try what mcdave suggests,as mentioned try another "aiming" method,looks as if your arms/hands/right shoulder are to high and that seems to cause you to lean into the bow. maybe youre over bowed?? i/ve learned to keep the arrow parallel to your bow arm
make for more accurate shots. by the way i notice your quiver doesnt line up well,hoods on one plane and arrow grip is on another.maybe having those on the limbs is a problem.. good luck and keep shooting
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
How are you grouping?  Your form looks generally pretty good to me (although Terry and a couple of others always manage to see allignment issues that I miss).  If you are grouping well, and only a little bit to the left, there are changes you could make to your strike plate or arrow spine that would move your group to the right.  If you are scattering arrows to the left, you have to continue to focus on form.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
seems like youre gripping the bow,try what mcdave suggests,as mentioned try another "aiming" method,looks as if your arms/hands/right shoulder are to high and that seems to cause you to lean into the bow. maybe youre over bowed?? i/ve learned to keep the arrow parallel to your bow arm
make for more accurate shots. by the way i notice toe quiver doesnt line up well,hoods on one plane and arrow grip is on another.maybe hainving those on the limbs is a problem.. good luck and keep shooting
I know what you mean about having my bow arm aligned with my arrow, but I think with my higher anchor this isnt possible.

The quiver is just twisted from resting it on my leg with no arrows in it.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
How are you grouping?  Your form looks generally pretty good to me (although Terry and a couple of others always manage to see allignment issues that I miss).  If you are grouping well, and only a little bit to the left, there are changes you could make to your strike plate or arrow spine that would move your group to the right.  If you are scattering arrows to the left, you have to continue to focus on form.
my groups are decent, I would say 6-7" @20 yds, and maybe about 15" at 40 yds.

I have messed around with plates some, but I have only tried a carpet rest and velcro. I have also tried diferent spined arrows. The arrows I am shooting now bare shaft perfect.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I think that if I start to bend my arm more and maybe grip the bow alittle bit more during the shot it will help. I know I also need to work on my release.

Offline RAM739

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
you seem to be shooting w/ a high wrist which is a no no.try shooting w/ a broken wrist.your bow will torgue the same every time.also try lengthening the string 1/4 to 1/2 inch.this will weaken spine.it not try shortening string. good luck

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by RAM739:
you seem to be shooting w/ a high wrist which is a no no.try shooting w/ a broken wrist.your bow will torgue the same every time.also try lengthening the string 1/4 to 1/2 inch.this will weaken spine.it not try shortening string. good luck
Are there any pictures or diagrams of the different grips?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©