Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hitting Left  (Read 1786 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hitting Left
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
I couldn't see what you're using now for a strike plate, but I assume you're using some thin material to get the arrow as far over to the right as possible.

If you can find some material that has some "give" in it to use for your strike plate, like thick fleece or felt, it will cause the arrow to move to the right.  You would think that because of the thickness of the material, it would move your arrows to the left, but because of the arrow dynamics compressing the material, it moves the arrows to the right.  You mentioned you had tried a carpet rest, and I don't know if you mean you just tried it for your rest or you tried it for your strike plate, but something like that might work.

You could try using an arrow with slightly less diameter shaft, and/or slightly weaker in spine.  I know your arrows are bareshafting perfectly now, but adding feathers stiffens the shaft a little, so it doesn't hurt for your bare shafts to show slightly weak, and that will also move the impact to the right.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
I am using the carpet as a strike plate.

I never thought of the feathers stiffening the shaft.

Maybe I will by something like an easton axis arrow with a smaller shaft diameter

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
I certainly don't have the eyes or experience that alot of others have here, but it looks to me like on the release your string hand comes away from your face and then gets pulled back in.  I could be wrong, though.  Tough to say from the side.

Offline pointystick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
Another thing that could cause misses to the left is shooting with a straight bow arm, which can cause your bow hand to recoil to the left on release.  
I experienced the same thing when I first started shooting. I was straight arming my bows and my arrows consistently shot left no matter what. I agree with trying to put a little bend in your bow arm. Just a slight bend at the elbow helped me dramatically.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
Just for kicks, try a much heavier point.  If your bow is not centershot or not cut much past center, you may be overspined.  Go to O.L. Adcock's site and use his bare shaft planing method to see if your shafts really bare shaft as well as you think.  I shoot a 50lb recurve @28", and draw about 28 1/2-3/4" (52lbs), and shoot CE 150's 29.25" w/ 175 grains up front.  If you have a dacron string or a low performance bow, you are almost certainly overspined, which will cause you to shoot left.  It is worth a shot. . .
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
The little head "duck" into the arrow  as you reach anchor is keeping the rear of the arrow to the right of the point, so in effect you have the arrow pointed left...this is always a problem with very high anchors, as the face gets wider the higher up you go, therefore moving the rear of the arrow to the right.... Assuming you tuned with the correction spine for your setup...simply move your head(and anchor) to the left.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
If it's not your spine not your bow arm.Then you have to be rolling your string at release.Use'ly most shooters do it a little but our hand eye cornation takes it up.With time we stop doing it.And our hand eye cornation moves with it.Dose that make any sense.Really bad cases will make you shoot left.Of these three things.The last is the least suspected and happens the most.I don't know if any of these three things are your problem.But there a good place to start.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline D. Devall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
aim more to the right.  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©