Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Help needed & appreciated II (vids)  (Read 705 times)

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Help needed & appreciated II (vids)
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Hey guys thanks for all the advice on my first post a few weeks ago, it definetely has helped correct some form flaws.  Here is some updated vids of my form ( I think it's getting pretty close) bag work has helped my outside shooting a lot.  Always room for improvement so please feel free to point out anything you see.

The next question I'm playing with is finger alignment on the string.  I shoot 3 finger under.  I've never paid attention to this part of my shot but since its the off season for me it's time to dig into everything a little. I noticed that Dale Karch in the Masters video seemed to stress this  part of his draw which got me thinking.  
This how i normally place my fingers on the string

How important is this and should I be trying for more like the following pic.

Sorry so long I appreciate you guys trying to help me elevate my game some.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help needed & appreciated II (vids)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
Your form looks excellent!

I think that how you hook the string is largely a matter of preference & whether you can repeat your string/finger position for every shot. Personally I shoot out of the crease of all 3 fingers, but I really don't think there's a right or wrong. Dale Karch shoots from the creases, Roger Rothaar shoots further back. Draw your own conclusions!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Joe,
Your form looks good, an immense improvement over the previous clips you posted.

Two things I noticed: Why your bow hand always goes down and left when the arrow is released (It might be caused by your high anchor but it may not be anything to worry about either.  Maybe somebody with a little more expertise can share their thoughts regarding this subject).  Then, on a couple of the shots you might be collapsing just before release.  I watched the clips several times and something didn’t seem correct, but the hand looked good through the release.  Then I concentrated on the elbow and think it is went slightly forward, on occasion, just before you released.

Once again, you’ve done a lot of improvement in a short amount of time, keep it up.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks Rob and Walt.
I know my hand does always go slightly left and down. I'm not sure if this is an alignment thing or do I just need to concentrate on keeping that bow arm up while following through?(bale work) I'll try paying attention to that elbow more and force it back.
As far as fingers on the bow string. I feel I get a cleaner release when I force my creases to line up, but have more control when I hook a little deeper.  I'm going to try and get used to forcing my creases to line up, hopefully with some bale work and a little added hand strength this will feel normal and  become routine. Thanks again Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Well tomorrow morning I put this practice to work at the first 3-D shoot of the year. See what happens Joe

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
Finished up the shoot with a 238 on 30 Targets (10,8,5 scoring) March 1 is the next one. The bag work has helped a lot I was pretty consistent left to right.  I need to get out more as the weather breaks and work on setting my arch and concentrating down range. Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©