Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Anyone ever switch from 3under to split??  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever switch from 3under to split??
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I don't know if this will help or not, but might be worth a try.  My wife shoots 3-under and had a bad time with the string hitting her face.  I couldn't figure out why because her form was spot on.  Finally realized she was shooting with the string out on the finger tips.  Made her start using a deep hook on the string and it was eliminated.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline saddlesore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Hi guys im new to this forum and trad shooting. i have done some target shooting years back. i joined a club about 2 years ago ,and they mostly shoot recurve barebow. now im shootin pretty ok ,im shootn a win win riser and border hex5 limbs no sight and 3 under. i am always looking for ways to improve.we shoot 3d targets only ,cos its illegal to hunt with a bow in ireland.
so if any of you have any tips please let me know. there are 12 from our club goin to the EUROPEAN BOWHUNTER CHAMPIONSHIPS in Austria ,in May of this year,really looking forward to that. also any tips on judging distance. thanks

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
I found that I was "overdrawing" a little, trying for back tension I guess. I needed to slightly shorten my draw length. Less painful for sure but not sure if I'm more or less consistent   :rolleyes:

crunch

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
I think I may be trying to draw too far as well. I don't remember having the nose problem before and I have been concerned about my short draw length lately more than before.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Okay, I just went outside and shot my bow again after my last post(and after reading crunch's post) and concentrated on a consistent anchor instead of extending my draw length and viola, no more bloody nose! My groups went back to being tight and I'm a happy camper again indeed.

:bigsmyl:    

Maybe some of you who are having this problem may want to try this and see if it helps.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Right on! I know I sometimes over think it instead of focusing on the basics.

ATB

Offline big grey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I`ve been reading the split finger and three under shooting thing for awhile now so last year I thought I would give the three finger under an honest try,so I shot three fingers under for about six months and found my shooting nock splitting great out to about 20 yards,but my shooting had turned very mechanical and I wasn`t shooting well at longer distances. Long and short of it was I went back to split and put all my effort into my form. Shooting better than ever.It seems to me thats what really counts not weather you shoot split or three under.Shoot what suits and practice your form.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I have had some of the same problems as you Alan and I'm not even close to your ability...if I don't get my shoulders lined up right as a fellow lefty, I tend to shoot right. I'm already at a 29" draw, but sometimes I'm feel'in strong and then I start wack'in my nose, but mostly the side of my mouth. good luck.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Guys, it's a year since I started this post and I finally have fixed my problems. Maybe this can help someone else.

My issues were--1--hitting my nose with my bowstring. I cured this simply by switching from a Big Shot glove to a ABS Superglove. I think the longer finger stalls holds the bowstring just a tad further from my face.

2----consistently hitting right a couple inches (I'm a lefty). I built out the sideplate on my shelf today and my right misses are gone.

I've heard people talk about this before, but I hadn't tried it until today. It surely worked for me!!

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
If you will change the side plate material from leather plastic to velcro it will move the impact point at 20 yds about 4 inches to the right.
Bob L

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©