Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gripping the bow handle  (Read 874 times)

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Gripping the bow handle
« on: February 15, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
When I was young and innocent, without knowing anything about bow shooting form or techniques I shot very well.

Forty years later, I still shoot decently but every single aspect of shooting form had to be re-thought, analyzed, corrected, and relearned through the years. As many of you know, it seems that the more we shoot, the more chance there is of something wrong developing.

Well, these days, I have had problems with my bow arm moving slightly outwardly after the shot rather than pushing straight to the target.
Experimenting, I have found that by squeezing my longbow handle  firmer than usually recommended, my bow arm stays in position more naturally

I don't seem to have a problem with torquing.

My questions is: are there others out there that hold their bows firmer than usually recommended without any problems related to that grip?
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gripping the bow handle
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
This is what I 'think'....when you 'squeeze' the bow grip more your are in a sense 'holding the bow on target' more with your muscles.  If your bow arm is moving left on the shot, you are likely out of alignment and your elbow is not far enough back causing you to muscle the bow...and when you squeeze you are muscling more, and at release your bow arm is going left.

Any way to get an over head video clip?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks Terry, your assessment is logical. I will experiment with that tomorrow morning.

An overhead video clip is not possible at this time but maybe in the future, especially if this problem is not resolved.

A detail that I didn't mention previously not to muddle things unnecessarily is that I shoot left handed.

I appreciate your help as I am on my own in these parts.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
I shoot in front of mirrors and thought I had perfect alignment-I did, up and down, but apparently not "in behind" far enough.

My first attempt at really tucking my arm back to get truly in line seems promising (I was using my usual "casual" grip too).

It will take some getting used to, like everything else. Among other things, I can actually feel my pulling arm triceps stretch as I pull my elbow back more.

I shot with eyes closed, also did some regular bail shooting, and a little precision shooting with virtually nothing drifting abnormally to the  right (I shoot left handed).

Many thanks again-I'll give you a progress report.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
As kids we didn't think too much when we shot a bow, we just relaxed, shot and enjoyed the experience.  It's when we overthink and convince ourselves that we have to fix what ain't broke that we get into trouble.  The renowned Jim Brackenbury once said that his most effective way to shoot was to start with what felt natural to him, then tweak the edges (or something like that).  I.e., don't overanalyze and don't overadjust your style based on what other folks think is the 'right' way.  That approach seems like good advice...and puts some of the kid in us ( = fun) back into our shooting.

BTW, I agree with you about the grip.  I'm a believer in, as Howard Hill used to say, 'getting ahold of it".

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
If you watch Masters of the Barebow, all the shooters did quirky things. And these are great shooters. Roger Rothhaar hardly held the bow and when he released it would spin all the way around in his hand. Ron LeClair had a tight grip and anchored the arrow by hooking his finger in his mouth. I enjoyed Gene Wensel the most. He said he was a instinctive shooter, also a gap shooter and anything else that works. He just put it all together for what worked for him and was a great shooter. Ron LC put it well -- if you think you'll miss the target - you will.
I guess after trial and error and practice, you come up with what works the best for you.
Good shooting!
sam

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
Remember if you have to think about what your doing durning your shot.Then your not shooting instintive.The only thing you should be thinking about is your spot.
  Instintive means doing every thing so it happens natural.So natural it's done with out thought.You should'nt have to think about each part of your shot while your doing it.If you can do nothing but pick your spot then your truely shooting instintive.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
When shooting the longbow, I like to keep everything as natural and neutral as I can with the forces of my input directed as straight to the target and as straight away from the target as I can muster. When I get out of wack with anything going screwy, it is usually because I've twisted up somewhere in my form adding some English off-line to the equation. Just be natural in your alignment and resist the temptation to jerk in any fashion at the release. Relax, be smooth, and follow through with the shot. When you are there and fall into the groove, it will feel right as rain:)

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
I used to shoot compound bows competitively,now I shoot all over in traditional competitions.Part of my form carried over and it may be wrong but I shoot with a leather strap openhanded.I had a bad habit of snatching the bow with my hand closed.When I started shooting with the strap people at the shoots looked at me funny but alot of them tried it and now i'm not the only one using one.Don't want to start any bad habits for anyone but it works very well for me.
Possum the other white meat

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
I really would like to thank all of you the great advice.

Much appreciated.

I'm working on it and for the first time in a long time things are looking brighter.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arrowhead80:
I used to shoot compound bows competitively,now I shoot all over in traditional competitions.Part of my form carried over and it may be wrong but I shoot with a leather strap openhanded.I had a bad habit of snatching the bow with my hand closed.When I started shooting with the strap people at the shoots looked at me funny but alot of them tried it and now i'm not the only one using one.Don't want to start any bad habits for anyone but it works very well for me.
IMHO shooting with a bow sling or finger sling is a very good idea  :)
Brian Kupris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©