Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: eye stigmatism  (Read 797 times)

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
eye stigmatism
« on: February 15, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
I was told once buy an eye Doc. I have this.
I constantly shoot low.I feel like I am aiming directly at a spot but if I glance at my arrow tip it is obvios I am aiming low.
 You here this alot (focus on a spot).Sounds good but doesn't work for me.I shoot 3under with my knock point at 7/16.If I drop it to raise my impact I get irratic flight.
 Anyone else have an eye stigmatism,or anyone have a suggestion.Tired of hitting low.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: eye stigmatism
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
Ray,
It's astigmatism and I have it also.  It's an irregularity in the cornea.  It can be corrected by contact lenses or laser surgery.

I also was born with amblyopia, or lazy eye so have severly reduced vision in one eye that's uncorrectable.

I do the best I can with a bow but admit it's a challenge.  I wear contacts for the near sightedness and astigmatism but must compensate for the bad eye.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Thank YOU Richard.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Ray, reddogge is right; glasses also work as a correction if you can't stand contacts, or it's too bad for contacts.  For shooting "single vision" rather than bifocal or progressive is better.  Of course if you're young enough that your arms are still long enough to read the paper that won't be a problem.  

On the other hand, if you're old enough that you've started to get cataracts, the surgery for them can vastly improve your vision.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Thanks Paul I do where bifocals and have thought of getting two pairs of glasses,one just for reading.

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
I also wear progressive bi-focals and have a slight astigmatism. I know from shooting a pistol with open sights that you cannot shoot with bi-focals on. The Astigmatism hasn't bothered me, it just means that when I look at an object that is round I see it as very slightly oval. I go to the dollar store and get a pair of +1 glasses. This allows me to see the pistol sights or arrow tip in focus.

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
I should also mention that the weak +1 glasses allow me to see the target in reasonable focus as well. my actual prescription of distance in +.75

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
I also have an astigmatism and it does make a slight difference in my vision but I've had it my whole life and I learned how to shoot with that defict. I have recently (last year) started wearing progressive and it even changed my anchor point. It has been a year and I can now finally get more consistent groups. I think I needed to retrain my brain to see (aim) correctly with the new lenses. If it doesn’t get better go to two pairs one just for shooting another progressive with reading and distance lenses.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
I also suffered from terrible astigmatism, I was 20/550. 5 years ago I got Lasik and that day I was seeing 20/15, today it has only changed to 20/20. I was only 31 @ the time but it was the BEST $3000 I ever spent. Wish I could have done it earlier.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
HELP TERRY!!!  1. YOU did't say if it was long bow or recurve. 2. YOU didn't say if you're shooting lh or rh. 3. You didn't say if you're r.eyed or l. eyed dominant.  4. All of these things make a REAL difference. 5. How much do you cant  the bow?   I'm going through THIS!!. MY astigmatism forced me to be L eye dominant. But, after LASIK. I'm r eye dominant again. The l .brain doesn't want to give it up! But, by  winking  my L eye  QUICKLY , my R eye takes over the lead role again. By the time I have released. I can get depth perception . Because my l. eye has now recovered . Shooting L.eye cant on bow 2-8 will cause a low shot.  wink the L. eye you should be on Height. NOW  L. Or R??                                                                                                  -------------------------------------------------Ain't smart enough to tell things I don't REALLY know.  GOOD LUCK!!  :bigsmyl:    :pray:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
For some with a terrible astig, lasik may only do so much. I was in shortstrokes catagory with an astig. To make matters worse, the front of my eyes were basically flat, as opposed to a more simple astig.
So, the lasik dr's warned me that I still may need glasses if I did the lasik. I did the lasik anyway and pretty much what the dr's said was the result.
I'm 20/25 in the left eye and closer to 20/35 in the right. I can now function greatly without glasses. I can now do normal things like shave, see an alarm clock, watch tv, etc, without glasses. I would also feel comfortable driving during the day without glasses. And all that is very sweet and life altering. Before, my vision was so bad that a magazine cover was a blurred blob at arms length.

However, for hunting and shooting, I still need glasses after lasik.

I realize that my vision was terrible and I was a borderline candidate for lasik. But if you're 20/400 plus and have any flatness on the front of the eye, don't always expect crystal clear 20/15 hawk vision if you do lasik. It's possible that 20/25-20/30 is what you may get and then if you want hawk life vision for hunting, you still may be wearing glasses.

It's great for regular life stuff, but if your case is extreme like mine, just realize that you still may require glasses for hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©