Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: how to stop releasing off of ring finger?  (Read 854 times)

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
how to stop releasing off of ring finger?
« on: February 17, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
i have been having some releasing problems lately.  apparently i am putting too much pressure on the ring finger of my release hand.  i shoot a damascus glove and 3 under.  any way that i can prevent this to get a better release?

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to stop releasing off of ring finger?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Draw with 3 and drop the bottom finger (ring finger) I know some people do that.

Offline GangStarr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
hold longer THINK ABOUT WHAT YOUR DOING

Offline GangStarr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
i used to do that

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
Make sure your elbow isn't too high.

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
When I reach anchor, I release the tension off my ring finger, then shoot.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
sounds like it may be another difficult habit to break.  i think i have now formed every bad habit out there.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
IMO...dropping the ring finger will not solve your real problem.  You are torquing the string by rotating your string hand and taking the string out of straight alignment with the bow....or, your elbow is too high...or both.

Make sure when you draw the bow, you are drawing the string straight back keeping it in a straight line and not twisting it out on the draw.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
I had the same problem in the past and found the following to be the culprits:

1. My anchor position was interfering with a clean release. Basically, in the position that I was anchoring, my hand had to go around my face before being allowed to go straight back upon release.
2. Tension in my draw hand and fingers.
3. Lack of enough back tension.

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Just as Bob And Terry have said, when I had fellows in my shoppe and they were complaining of the same thing I would have them shoot and watch, you can do the same with a little video camera. Many are shocked the first time they do this and see for themselves what they are doing. I found filming them also helped a lot with target panic and various other issues.
Some fellows also are shooting shorter nock to nock length bows which decreases the angle making it harder to get a clean release without some jump off the string.
Best thing to do is as mentioned concentrate on pulling your bow back with back tension not hand/arm strength ( Best way I found to get guys to do this is to think of pulling back your elbow just at time of release and always push toward the target with your bow arm slightly as you do)
I too shoot only with a Damascus glove and have over the years developed a callus on the outside of the ring finger but the pull thru helps get rid of it, along with dramatically improving your accuracy, if your are shooting shorter length bows then you will have to also concentrate on using that finger less after the intial draw to your anchor.
One way to that is to practice the roll of the fingers on the bow string as you draw, if you are shooting one finger over and two under this lets you apply a little tenion to the arrow nock area so that you could literally shoot the bow laying flat shelf side down with little fear of the arrow falling off the shelf. If you shoot three fingers under it will help eliminate the ring finger being applied to heavy to the string.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
i have tried shooting a little differently.  i am now getting to anchor with a slightly bent arm and them beginning to pull through my clicler.  i slightly push with my left arm amd slightly pull back with my elbow while letting tension off on my fingers and the string must roll off the tips of my fingers.  it seems to be working ok, i just gotta practice more with it and i guess i will get adjusted to the way i am shooting.  i shoot a 66" longbow.

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
I have developed a calous on the tip of my ring finger, it is diaganol to the front of my finger.
Does this mean I am twisting the the string or doing something wrong with my draw?

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Shooting 3 under creates this kind of problem- it's why most folks shoot split finger. There's more pressure on the ring finger with 3 under. You might try a deeper grip, all the way in to the joint crease. Sounds backwards, I know, but it just might work because a deeper grip can decrease torque on the release and allow you to relax your drawing hand more.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Relaxing the bow hand worked for me.  If all else fails, the sure fix is to cut off the offending digit.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
I meant relaxing the "drawing" hand.  Sorry, I'm dyslexic.

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
I'm having the same problem! To go together with everthing  everyone else is sayin. Part of the problem is the danggone GLOVE..The tip of the glove is too long on that one finger if you fit your gloves right!! I've decided from now on I'll buy Lot's smaller gloves. Then  soak them and let them dry to my  hand!!!  :banghead:    :pray:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©