Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrows kicking left badly, ??  (Read 676 times)

Offline George Elkstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows kicking left badly, ??
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Okay, I built my first bow.  Made of ash, narrow deep handle.  Shooting off a flat shelf.  I shoot 1 finger over.  Arrows are kicking badly.  What should I look for or try?  Thanks!!!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows kicking left badly, ??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Do your arrows kick left on other bows, or just this bow?  When you say they are "kicking" left, do you mean a momentary nock left as the arrow leaves the bow, or do you mean the arrows tend to impact the target to the left?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline George Elkstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
It is more pronounced than the usual nock left leaving the bow.  It doesn't turn straight sideways but it sure looks like it is trying.  Seems to straighten out pretty well after 15 yards or so.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
The general rule would be that if you're getting nock left, you need a stiffer arrow spine, assuming you're a right-handed shooter.

Since this is a home built bow, maybe somebody in the bowyer's section of the forum might have other suggestions as well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Col

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
Paper tuning, beginning with a bare shaft, would be your ideal bet for determining what to do next.  If you're not set-up for paper tuning, you could start by experimenting with spine weights.

The question right now is whether it is the arrow or the bow.  As McDave says, the general rule points to arrow spine weight.  Better to have that answer before tinkering with the bow IMO.
Shooting with feeling since 1976 & luvin' every minute of it.

Thanks Dad!

Offline longbow1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »
You said youre shooting off a flat shelf. I would try to crown the arrown shelf and sight window for better fletching clearance, then bare shaft tune.
PBS ASSOCIATE MEMBER
NJ TRADITIONAL ARCHERS MEMBER

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©