Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Field of view and a cant  (Read 618 times)

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
Field of view and a cant
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
I shoot with a heavy cant and feel that it gives me a better view of the target and a significant edge on moving targets.  Anyone else find that to be true (or disagree)?  I hadn't thought about it until I was shooting with the bow vertical and the right side of the target was significantly obscured.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Field of view and a cant
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:35:00 AM »
I agree with you. Sometimes I shoot with my bow horizontal and it really opens up the picture window.
Denny

Offline stemen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I dont cant as much as others cuz i use my bow to block out big picture to help me focus on point of aim
never slow up till you go up

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Thats one reason I prefer short sight windows on my recurves. We don't need the large windows like tournament shooters did years ago, when sights were installed. You want to "close the gap" when aiming at big game. Shorten up the peripheral vision which will lead you to focus on a much smaller spot on the animal.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
Heck yeah I agree.  I've even been accused of shooting "wrong."  I overheard ,"well, if it works for him."
It kind of took me by suprise. But I think my critics were wheelie shooters.

Offline junker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
i been shooting my recurve for almost 2 years.  this past deer season was my first time to ever bowhunt.  

I bought this bow and said to myself "now what?"
i sort of taught myself and read a lot.  anyway, my setup has been thru many changes. i was always tryic to mimic someone's form.  I used to hold it verticle but right before deer season started; my shooting was getting worse.  i started canting the bow...alot.  what a change!  I harvested 2 buck...small 6pt and 5pt and 2 does this past season.  call it beginners luck but i got the job done.

I just shot in the first trad tourney of the year.  shot 2 rounds with 30 targets.  didn't miss a target.  last year i would have missed 5-7 each round.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©