Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 3 Fingers Under  (Read 716 times)

Offline Saltydog

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Fingers Under
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
I reverted to a Trad shooter about 2 years ago and learned to shoot 3 fingers under. I've recently, and finally, attained the "feel" of back-tension releasing. One thing I've noticed lately is that a larger percentage of string pressure is coming from my Ring Finger.

So my question is; Should the pressure be evenly distributed or is there a finger, or combination of the 3, that should be the main pressure point?
I've learned that walk in the woods with my father as a child did wonders for me as an adult.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Fingers Under
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
I think the pressure should be distributed more evenly.

Make sure your elbow isn't too high causing you to put more pressure on your bottom finger.

I find that longer bows and bows with adjustable tiller help me with the same issue.I shoot even or a little bit of neg tiller and 64-66 inch ILF recurves.

Offline Saltydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
My bow is tillered for 3 fingers under. It is a 62" reflex/deflex @ 45#s.
I've learned that walk in the woods with my father as a child did wonders for me as an adult.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
If your bow is tillered zero,that should help.Do you shoot a tab? I tend to pluck or use more pressure on my bottom finger with a glove than with a tab.

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:56:00 AM »
Somewhat even finger pressure is probably a good idea but more importantly it should be the same and repeatable shot after shot. If you can't adjust your bows static tiller adjust the dynamic tiller by moving your string arrow nock point.
Brian Kupris

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
Tiller won't change much.  You probably have your elbow to high on the drawing arm.  I fight that all the time.  It helps me to keep it in line if I engage my back muscles before I draw.

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Set your fingers in deep,I shoot a Black widow tab and I set my string where the tab is sewn together, I have heard other refer to it as setting the hooks in deep. Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Cal Bergsma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Put slightly more pressure on your middle finger than the others, too much on the top finger could cause arrow pinch problems at release or draw, and too much pressure on the bottom finger could cause string torque.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Try two under for a while to get the feel of drawing with more pressure on the upper two fingers and then, depending on what you like, go back to three or stay with two.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©