Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Back From Rick Welch's Shooting School  (Read 2024 times)

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back From Rick Welch's Shooting School
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Thanks Tex, boy that will increase my dl. I'll have to give it a try.

Offline kenny 6

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
Kelly,Its good to hear of all your progress. I got Rick's dvd a few weeks ago and found it very helpfull. One thing I can't seem to commit myself to is drawing to my ear, it feels very unnatural to me. Does he teach all students to shoot that way? Kenny.

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Kenny:

I attended Rick's school in January and at the time I was anchoring at the corner of my mouth rather than thumb knuckle at jaw/earlobe.  With this anchor, I was still able to touch my nose on the tip of the fletching.  Rick told me not to change my anchor as it seemed to be working for me.  So, my guess is that he would tell you to do the same thing (i.e stay with the anchor you are comfortable with).  The important thing is to have solid anchor points that you can repeat every time.  

The jaw/earlobe anchor seemed awkard to me at first as well.  However, I continued working with it and have now switched from the corner of the mouth to the jaw/earlobe anchor.  I think I get a cleaner release and I know I have a repeatable drawlength each time.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
I have a question for you guys. I bought Ricks dvd about a year ago and have been using some of his techniques since about last summer. My groups have tightened up considerable. My groups at thirty now are what they were at twenty last summer. But no matter what I do, I always shoot left. I have tried different strike plates and that has helped, but not correted.

I know you are not suppose to pay attention to where the arrow is pointed, but if I want to hit where I am looking, the arrow has to be about a foot to the right of the target at twenty yards. Why is this? Is it because my anchor is no longer directly under my eye?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
"Is it because my anchor is no longer directly under my eye?"

Very likely.  If you're just rotating your head to get your nose behind the cock feather, your eye will be to the left of the arrow, causing you to miss to the left.  If you tilt your head instead, you can control where your eye is over the arrow.  If you try it, you can actually tilt your head enough that you start missing to the right (what a relief!).  In order for this to work, you need to cant the bow enough so that your eye doesn't end up behind the string.  Make sure you're not torqueing the bow string when you cant the bow (i.e. putting an "S" bend in the string because your string hand wants the bow to be in a more vertical position).

Watch the flight of your arrow.  If it seems to be moving from right to left, that means your eye is not over the arrow.

Or it could be form.  Not keeping a bend in your bow arm will cause misses to the left, if your bow hand recoils to the left.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
PSU My name is Dave Mullins, I'm Rick's web guy. I encourage you to email Rick when it's convient, tell him I sent ya. He'll help you, no doubt. To me I question if it could be an eye dominance issue,not to mention that "aiming" can induce target panic.I want you to know that I very much want to see you succeed, & resolve this issue. Shoot Rick an email, between all of us here we'll get ya lined out.   :thumbsup:  

[email protected]

Also, if I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to call me. I've had the pleasure of speaking to guys from Canada to south Florida, about Rick's shooting method.

Dave Mullins 304-542-8705 [email protected]

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
"Is it because my anchor is no longer directly under my eye?"

Very likely.  If you're just rotating your head to get your nose behing the cock feather, your eye will be to the left of the arrow, causing you to miss to the left.  If you tilt your head instead, you can control where your eye is over the arrow.  If you try it, you can actually tilt your head enough that you start missing to the right (what a relief!).  In order for this to work, you need to cant the bow enough so that your eye doesn't end up behing the string.  Make sure you're not torqueing the bow string when you cant the bow (i.e. putting an "S" bend in the string because your string hand wants the bow to be in a more vertical position).

Watch the flight of your arrow.  If it seems to be moving from right to left, that means your eye is not over the arrow.

Or it could be form.  Not keeping a bend in your bow arm will cause misses to the left, if your bow hand recoils to the left.
This makes sense, I am currently holding my bow completly vertical. I think if I cant my bow slightly, then tilt my head to match the cant, the arrow will then be under my eye. Is this what you meant?

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by waiting4fall:
PSU My name is Dave Mullins, I'm Rick's web guy. I encourage you to email Rick when it's convient, tell him I sent ya. He'll help you, no doubt. To me I question if it could be an eye dominance issue,not to mention that "aiming" can induce target panic.I want you to know that I very much want to see you succeed, & resolve this issue. Shoot Rick an email, between all of us here we'll get ya lined out.    :thumbsup:    

[email protected]

Also, if I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to call me. I've had the pleasure of speaking to guys from Canada to south Florida, about Rick's shooting method.

Dave Mullins 304-542-8705 [email protected]
I wouldnt say that I aim, as I dont pay attention to the arrow, but when I first started shooting using rick method, i was always shooting to the left. Over time, my mind took control and I started hitting where I was aiming, but I would notice(if I looked at the arrow) that the arrow was about a foot right of were I was looking. This doesnt seem right to me.

I will shoot Rick and email.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
"I am currently holding my bow completly vertical. I think if I cant my bow slightly, then tilt my head to match the cant, the arrow will then be under my eye. Is this what you meant?"

Yes, only you might have to cant your bow slightly more than you tilt your head, so that the bowstring clears your head.  It is pretty easy to figure this out by trial and error.  Then if you just start observing the arrow flight, you can tell if your eye is over the arrow.  If the arrow seems to be coming from right to left, your eye is to the left of the arrow.  If the arrow seems to be coming from left to right, your eye is to the right of the arrow.  If the arrow seems to be moving straight toward the target, your eye is over the arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
I just went out and shot a few arrows with my bow canted at what felt right, and everything was spot on. Thanks guys.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
I am happy to report that tonight, I missed to the right. It never felt so good to miss.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
The next thing is, when you're confident that you can shoot straight with your eye over the arrow, move your anchor out away from your face so it is more of a floating anchor.

In the class, Rick noticed that I was getting a red mark on my face from brushing it with the string, and told me to move my anchor out a little from my face so I wouldn't do that.  But when I tried that, I just missed more to the left, because I was moving the arrow out away from my face without keeping my eye over it.

Rick is a gifted archer, and I'm sure his eye automatically centers over the arrow every time, without his even thinking about it.  But us lesser mortals have to learn to do it.

When Rick anchors, he has a very slight contact with his thumb knuckle and his earlobe, and the cock feather barely brushes his nose.  I don't believe there is any contact with his face.  I think this is one of the secrets of his accuracy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
I have tried his anchors many times, while shooting, and just while messing around in my house. I just can not get the thumb to earlobe anchor. I dont know if it is the structure of my face or what, but I just can not get it. I have been anchoring by tucking my thumb bone up behind my cheek bone and the feather on my nose.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
It is not where the spot you anchor is, it is having the same spot everytime. Good repeatedable form is important - how you achieve it will vary among individuals and trying to exactly copy anyone can very well hurt as much as help.

Offline mancole5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
The first and foremost of importance is a consistent anchor point. This is absolutely critical!! Then...lets not forget bow setup! Rick teaches how to make the bow shoot where your eyes and arms are naturally telling you. I find this to be as critical as your anchor point! If you are are consistently hitting to the left of your target, then you need to use a softer side plate, perhaps carpet/rug or velcro to move your hitting to the right. When you attend his school, he is not so concerned with your high/low misses. Some of that is "your learning curve" and your muscles need to develop memory. If you are very consistently hitting high or low, then you need to adjust nock point accordingly. I took the class, I would highly recommend you doing the same! If there is anyway you can save up the funds, I strongly urge you to make this investment! I will be glad to speak with you and explain more,  just pm me with your contact info.  Hope this helps!

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by mancole5:
The first and foremost of importance is a consistent anchor point. This is absolutely critical!! Then...lets not forget bow setup! Rick teaches how to make the bow shoot where your eyes and arms are naturally telling you. I find this to be as critical as your anchor point! If you are are consistently hitting to the left of your target, then you need to use a softer side plate, perhaps carpet/rug or velcro to move your hitting to the right. When you attend his school, he is not so concerned with your high/low misses. Some of that is "your learning curve" and your muscles need to develop memory. If you are very consistently hitting high or low, then you need to adjust nock point accordingly. I took the class, I would highly recommend you doing the same! If there is anyway you can save up the funds, I strongly urge you to make this investment! I will be glad to speak with you and explain more,  just pm me with your contact info.  Hope this helps!
I talked with Rick on several occasions about the different strike plate options. I am currently using a rug strike plate. I thought me shooting left had to do with my strike plate or arrow spine, but it ends up I just needed to cant my bow to get the arrow under my eye.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Once you train yourself to shoot with your eye over the arrow, your arrows should hit pretty close to where you're looking.  However, because of different spines and different bow designs, you may find that your arrow is still not hitting exactly where you're looking.  Or you may have two different bows that hit in two different places.  Rick's methods of moving the point of impact of the arrow by changing the rest material are useful for such situations.

I would not recommend changing the side plate or rest until you have developed a consistent shot.  If you can consistently shoot a 4" group at 20 yards (or if you don't shoot groups, if your individual shots are consistently within that same margin of error), and that 4" group is consistently 2" left of where you want it to be, then use Rick's methods to move the group 2" to the right.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
What does Rick have to say about draw weight?  

Say somebody shows up with a bow he loves, but it is heavy.  Can you explain if there a way Rick uses to tell if the draw is too much or maybe even too little?

Good reading, thanks for the post!
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Kelly...aint got time to read the whole thread...but...

Congrats.....glad to see a trad bowhunter improve his shooting!!!  Hope you are able to put it to use in the field soon!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Zog, In Rick's class, you'll probably shoot 60 or more shots in a day.  You'll want to be able to comfortably draw every shot to full draw.  Rick will be more than happy to let you use one of his bows if the bow you bring is too heavy to do that.  He's probably sold more bows by letting people shoot one of his during the class than any other way.

Rick understands the difference between a heavy hunting bow that you'll only be shooting a few times a day, and a target bow that you'll be shooting many times a day.  Bring your favorite bow to class, light or heavy, and he'll be happy to help you get it set up for his method.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©