Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Cliff Notes on Rick Welch Style?  (Read 3849 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Cliff Notes on Rick Welch Style?
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Just curious on his style. What is his basics? Does he cut his arrow a certain lenght too? Can you shoot split finger like this?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cliff Notes on Rick Welch Style?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Your best bet would be to buy his 2 videos and analyze his form from there.  

I got both of them, and his tips are very simple but effective.  My shooting has improved since following his method.  

He uses a double anchor point, and you can shoot split finger with his style.  

Good Luck.
Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Joey, do a search of this forum. pleny of Rick Welch to read. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
These are the basics (others may chime in if I missed anything).

1.  Stance - perpendicular to target, recommends bow be held with lower tip between legs rather than to the side to facilitate initial shoulder allignment.  Stance is upright with knees not noticeably bent.  Turn your head toward the target without moving shoulders.
2.  Controlled breathing until distractions are eliminated from your mind, then draw in a breath as you draw the arrow.  Hold the breath until the arrow impacts the target.
3.  Absolute focus on target until arrow impacts
4.  Draw to double anchor, maintaining shoulders perpendicular to target, string on tips of fingers, especially with lightweight target bows.
5.  Keep slight bend in bow arm.
6.  Hold for at least two seconds
7.  Release spontaneously, not planned
8.  He feels that followthrough will be automatic if 1-7 are done right.

Rick sets your double anchor such that you reach full draw (your drawing forearm alligns with the arrow).  For me, that meant the first anchor is my outer thumb knuckle cocked up a little and touching the bottom of my earlobe and the second is my nose touching the back of the cock feather.  For this to work, my fletches had to be re-positioned forward so they are just in front of my nose at full draw.  Most people find that their draw length is up to an inch or more longer than it was before the class.  Since you are drawing further, and holding longer, this could be a problem if you are near your limits with your heavy weight hunting bow.

Rick recommends 3 under, but will teach split fingers if the student insists.

Rick is not big on arrow tuning in the traditional sense.  He watches arrow flight and corrects for obvious wobbles, but he primarily uses nock point and shelf material to fine-tune the point of arrow impact.  This can be intimidating if you don't feel your shooting is good enough to be fine-tuned yet, but by the end of his class it generally is.

Because he uses the cock feather as an anchor, the position of the cock feather is critical. He recommends left-wing feathers in order to achieve the optimal cock feather position while still allowing the quills to clear the shelf.  For the same reason, he generally uses 4" feathers rather than 5" feathers, even for hunting.

He recommends shooting only one arrow at a time.  Never shooting groups except for a brief warmup.  Shoot from a different position each time you shoot.

He is only concerned in his class with developing left-right accuracy; vertical accuracy will come from shooting many shots from many different positions.

Rick is a wonderful teacher.  One can summarize his method in a few words, but there is no way to duplicate being there as a student.

While there are some things they do differently, I don't believe there is any basic incompatibility between what Rick teaches and what Terry Green teaches.  Rick teaches good, basic allingment and form, and Terry sort of takes it to the next level, maintaining that good allignment while rotating the torso to accomodate different hunting situations.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
You can use any release from what I have learned. split finger or 3 under.
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
Thank you McDave!!.....I have shot split finger for 20 years. Saw a youtube of him stacking some arrows at 30 yards. Got me wondering. He's close to me here in MS , might give him a call. My buddy Hogdancer needs some help and this style may help him. McDave did you go to his class? Whats it like?

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
I hesitate to post because some may take it as criticism, but that is not my intention at all. Just seeking understanding.

I and others are looking for what makes his method appear to stand out for many. With the exception of stance and fingertip hold, I see solid basics taught by any competent instructor.
What makes this different - I am always looking to improve.

Steve

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
"What makes this different - I am always looking to improve."

Good question!  When I came back from the class all bubbling over with enthusiasm because of my improved skills, my son asked me to explain Rick's method to him.  His reaction was the same as yours - sort of underwhelmed.

Maybe the answer lies with the teacher: I'm sure we've all had teachers who could get things across to us better than others, and Rick is definitely a good teacher.  As I mentioned in another post, maybe the answer lies in doing every single thing he teaches, every time you shoot.  I found, for example, that if I went back to shooting groups or cheated on the two second hold, my accuracy suffered.  I'm sure, for example, that if you thought it was too much trouble to move all the fletches on all your arrows, and thought it would be good enough to just use the thumb knuckle part of his anchor, you wouldn't shoot as well as if you used the double anchor.

I think we look at people like Rick, or Tiger Woods, and think they are made out of different stuff; that there's a gap between us that can't be bridged.  A day an a half in Rick's class will convince you that at least some of the time, and granted under less pressure than the IBO, you can shoot just as well as he can.

Everyone I've heard or read leaves Rick's class shooting much better than when they came.  Maybe we just never learned the fundamentals before?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
So basically the welch Style is as follows
1. Shoot a lighter bow so you can hold it
2. Shoot a lighter arrow so trajectory is flatter thus taking miss judging yardage not as critical as bad release which causes left to right. (1-30 yards)
3. have a double anchor..thumb behind the ear and cock feather on the nose.
4. aim down your arrow which is under your eye and
5. Do basic pre-draw stuff, breathing, stance alignment etc.
6.Hold arrow at full draw line everthing up, focus on the dot.
7. When bow arm is still, release. dead release..no pull through

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I got get to one Rick's schools. Cant hurt me.  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
hang on Mark, I'm figuring this out pretty quick..good stuff here........i'll make you a video after i find a striker that works with your pot call i made you.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Joey, on your #4 above, Rick doesn't want you to aim down your arrow, or see the arrow.  If you do see it, he wants you to ignore it.  The purpose of getting the arrow under your eye is for consistency from shot to shot.

On your #7 above, the problem with a dead release is that your drawing hand might creep forward and lose back tension, so while what you say is correct, I would add maintaining back tension.  I do this by keeping my thumb knuckle just behind a certain location on my jawbone.  If it creeps forward and touches my jawbone, I know I've got to either let down or reestablish tension before shooting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
McDave...how does he feel about bow quivers? Does your arrow cover up the target 40 yards and out?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
Rick feels that if you are going to hunt with a bow quiver, you should always have it on the bow with the number of arrows in it that you plan on hunting with.

When I was in his class, he had me use his son's 40# bow, which was lighter than any of my bows (at least until he finishes building my 40# bow for me).  It had a bow quiver and arrows.  Of course, I shot better with his son's bow than any of my own bows, which I presume is at least in part due to the light weight.

My arrow covers the target at 40 yards, and so I can't avoid seeing it at those distances.  At 20-30 yards, I pretty much ignore the arrow.  For longer shots, I try to use the Hill method, which is to be aware of the arrow in my peripheral vision, but not consciously line it up with anything.  I continue to focus on the target, because if I let my focus drift to the arrow point, I will miss.

Rick says he shoots purely instinctively without reference to the arrow point, but he does shoot at 40 yards or more at times, where it would be hard to ignore the arrow point, and I'm not sure what he does about the arrow point when it's right there in front of the target.  Maybe the same thing I do.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Hold on there Joebuck !  "your buddy Hogdancer needs some help " I guarantee I need some shooting help but I'm not holding for any 2 seconds, I can tell you that. I am all for improving your shooting and I think this will help you with all those tournaments you are always going on about. Some good info. and I think you should persue it.  I don't want to win any tournaments, I just want to hit the next hogs that runs out in front of me  :jumper:
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Thanks for bringing the Rick Welch tape over Hogdancer. I knew you would be on the cutting edge. I'll never apologize for my past since i have one. You can keep my World Howard Hill trophy for a week or two for the karma!

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Interesting stuff guys. What does Rick say about moving targets, like a walking deer? How have you found the method to work when hunting?

The style you are describing kindof matches mine, although I do not think I am as refined. You have about got me talked into getting his video and seeing what it is all about as I can always use some help.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
hey Joebuck, don't forget to bring up the superglove.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Hogdancer, I'm laying low on that. there's an upset customer on another site right now about that! Watched the tape...Didn't watch the Wesley tape since he never won Cloverdale or a Southeastern!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©