Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Cliff Notes on Rick Welch Style?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cliff Notes on Rick Welch Style?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
it's not all about tournaments Joebuck, you really need to get out more.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
What are you talking about Hogdancer..the only tournament i went too in last 10 years, i went with you to that Enid Lake shoot with you and your understudy.....BarBque and homemade icecream......lets don't miss the crayfish boil......we'll shoot for dinner!..that ole ****e Dale Dye bow you have refinished about 4 times against my hunting bow?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
your hunting bow ? the only thing you are good at killing is this thread.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I'm tired of carrying this thread. you need to step up and contribute and get off the classifieds looking for your next used Dale Dye. You have what 4 of those bows and your name is not on any of them!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:    :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Hmm, maybe the upset superglove customer is here reading this thread...  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
In the videos it appears that he draws past his anchor and then comes forward and settles in. Is that in order to establish his second anchor point? How far forward would you need to move your fletchings to use that particular secondary N.P.? I was foolong around with it earlier and think for me it would be somewhere around a half inch, does that seem about right?  Thanks  Greg

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Greg,

You need to draw a bare shaft to full draw, i.e. where your drawing forearm is in line with your arrow.  At that point someone needs to put a mark on the arrow opposite your nose, indicating where the fletching should start.  For me, it was about 1 3/4" from the valley of the nock.  Later, I found this to be a little short, because I want the cock feather to barely touch my nose at full draw, so I increased it to 1 7/8".

The danger of a method where you hold at full draw is that you will "settle in" and lose back tension.  Clearly, Rick doesn't do that, or he wouldn't be able to shoot as well as he does.  I've watched him shoot and he anchors in two separate movements: the first to reach full draw and the second to move his nose behind the cock feather.  He does move his head a little bit to get his nose behind the cock feather, but I don't think his string hand comes forward any.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Does Rick shoot the standard 3 fletch with cock fether out?
Longbows & Short Shots

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Yes he does.  He prefers 4" left wing feathers, even for hunting, with the cock feather somewhere between 9:00 - 10:00, depending on what provides the best clearance for bow shelf and strike plate.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
I tried this a little bit the other afternoon.  When i started I used the bone under my eye as my anchor point.  I shifted to the corner of my mouth.  So i tried going back up.  As this as my anchor standard fletching on Legacy arrows touched the end of my nose.  Either I have a longer nose than Rick or there is something I don't understand about this process.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
i fletch mine 2 clicks back on blitzenburger ( 1 3/4" from throat of nock to tip of feather) then 1st knuckle of thumb touches my ear lobe. thats my 2 point that puts that arrow Right under my eye everytime

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Joey , sounds like you opened up kool-aid stand!!!think ur on to something...marco
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
i just wnt to know how to get the release part down.  i have tired back tension and it seems to make me move my bow hand.  is rick getting a dead release?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Rick uses a dead release.  He holds at full draw for approx 2 seconds before he releases.  This isn't that hard to do unless you are overbowed.  You don't creep forward; your bow hand doesn't move back.  You continue to hold under full tension until you release.

It is difficult to hold at full draw if you try to do it with your arms.  I find it much easier to hold at full draw if I am mainly using my back muscles.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
i have bad tp and use a clicker now.  i am going to try to "make" myself get over it.  i want to give the welch system a try and feel the clicker will need to go to do so properly.  i will not use my main bow on this but another to try it out.  i pretty much have to change everything--anchor, release and all.  going to try anyway

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
You still might be able to use the clicker if you like it.  You could pull until it clicks and then hold.  The advantage is that if you lost tension, the clicker would unclick and you would know it.

I don't think you really need to use a clicker because of Rick's double anchor.  You know when you're at full draw because otherwise you can't touch your nose to the back of the cock feather.  If the cock feather moves forward off your nose while you're holding, then you know you're creeping forward.

"i pretty much have to change everything--anchor, release and all."  You got that right!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
That clicker makes to much noise TJ. It sure was loud Sat. Try this double anchor set up and at least your bow will be quiter for hunting.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
i am going to.  i do have another clicker that is very quiet if all else fails.  i need to get with chris and get him to help me i think--this is how he shoots and always has even before he watched the video --last week.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
I shot 8 arrows today at 23 yards..6 of them hit the spot ( which was is the size of a half dollar) other 2 were within 1 inch. All arrows were shot single and with in an hour of each other..basically i shot 1 arrow an hour........I just drove into the Koolaid pond butt naked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©